Join Shelby Forums Today

1968 GT350 VIN Location(s)

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by rustyjames, Aug 2, 2007.

1. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Re: 68 GT350 VIN Location(s)

My 66 Mustang GT fastback has the vin out about 1 inch. Just far enough that no sign of it shows with the fender in place. I have had the car since I was 16 (23 years) so I don't think this is the result of an accident or anything but a misallignment of the print done at the Dearborn plant.

2. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

not only should the SHELBY VIN Be stamped by Hand behind the shock tower, the FORD Vin should be under the Shelby plate or under the fender right near the tag itself. the car could possibly have been wrecked and everything replaced in the front. what is the cars Shelby number? a wreck may be recorded in the registry.

3. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

That practice (one of two VINs - drivers side forward of the shock tower) differed depending on what plant the car was built at that year

4. rustyjames

rustyjames Member

It's more of a question of being a "crashed" Shelby. There's no number under the Shelby plate. However, the sheet metal does not in anyway appear to have been tampered with, so I was wondering if this was an anomaly or an impeccable panel replacement. Thanks again everyone.

5. shelby6t5

shelby6t5 Well-Known Member

One thing I did not see mentioned is if the other tags and stampings are intact on the car. I have seen cars that had aprons replaced that looked dam near close to factory as well. But, if an apron was replaced, chances are other components were as well. I have the fiberglass hood of a 67 next to the garage that was hit it the late 60's and it is pretty cracked up, but the aprons on that car were not damaged - I can only imagine how much would need to be replaced on a front end if a apron had to be replaced.
    Does the pass side apron have the #? Engine block, trans (4 spd car?)
    Does the car have all of the other Shelby pieces?

Mike

6. rustyjames

rustyjames Member

Yes, the rest of the car is all there and it's a 4sp. The car is absolutely beautiful and like I said in no way looks like it was wrecked (original looking spot welds, etc.). This is what made me curious because I've restored a lot of vehicles in my day and this car passes the "discerning eye" test. But, I guess you never know. I can't understand why whoever did the repair didn't cut out the VIN number area and weld it into the new apron. The only thing that could explain that is the repair was done when no one cared about "matching numbers." I remember those days; I swapped the drivers door on my GT back in the 70's and threw the old one away (and the ID tag).

7. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Next step IMHO would be to compare the stamping dates/marks on the panel in question and compare it to the others in the engine compartment. Does no good on a clipped car but it will with panel replacement on an older repair.

8. rustyjames

rustyjames Member

Hey everyone,

As soon as everything gets shook out, I'll be sure to post the findings. Again, I appreciate all the help.