Join Shelby Forums Today

1968 Shelby Question

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by proford1, Jan 2, 2012.

1. proford1

proford1 New Member

Hi guys im new to this forum. i have a 68 KR500 thats been in a holding pattern for 3 or 4 years but i'm back working on it. i have a couple questions.
    1. whats the best way to remove paint from the fiberglass/Plastic parts?
    2. i have a few cracks in the Fiberglass/plastic parts whats the best product to repair with?

i'll have more questions later but lets start with these.
    Thanks
    Mike

68 Shelby KR500 #3558
    68 Cougar GTE 427
    69 Boss 302 Cougar Eliminator
    70 Boss 302 Cougar Eliminator
    70 Cougar XR7 428cj 4 sp.

2. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

rshelby likes this.
  3. proford1

proford1 New Member

Thanks for the reply. i've done the glass mat and resin before. i was hoping with all the new epoxys out today there might be a new process. my concern is on the taillight panel, the top right and left screw hole is cracked or chipped off. thats a very small area to try fiberglass mat. i may do some experimenting with some epoxy resin and glass fiberglass flakes.

thanks again

Mike

4. TJinSA

TJinSA Well-Known Member

You can't keep fibergalss cracks from reappearing by simply injecting resin into the crack. If it's all the way through drill a hole through at the end of the crack; 'V' the crack and the circumference of the dill-stop. A small v to the front side; a deeper one to the rear. Make sure all loose fibers are removed. Clean all paint, primer and coatings at least a couple of inches in all directions around the site. Just prior to filling the crack with a fiber-resin mixture, wipe the area with a top-quality solvent to remove any oils, but also to soften the immediate surface. Cover the repair with at least one layer of resin-infused mat a half inch overlap. this is not always possible on the front side. A second layer, extending a half inch beyond the first is recommended on the backside. Someone will probably pipe-in with a better, factory, detailed method, but this technique has served me well.

rshelby likes this.
  5. SFM6S087

SFM6S087 Well-Known Member

6. corbins

corbins Active Member

Go slow with any solvent strippers, they can and will destroy the gel coat quickly. There are some strippers made especially for fiberglass, but using light coats and not letting it sit too long will help prevent permanant damage.