Join Shelby Forums Today

2010-11-12 Differences?

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by VonBarky, May 26, 2011.

1. VonBarky

VonBarky New Member

I don't know much about these newer cars. Last time I was into performance cars was the 1990s when I installed a CHP 347ci stroker kit into a roller block with Victor Jr. aluminum heads and a Vortech.
    My cousin just bought a new 2011 GT500. As I understand 2010 Shelbys have a cast iron 5.4L. For 2011 the block is an aluminum casting with spray on cylinder liners. I don't fully understand what this plasma liner is, how its installed or applied and how it will react with it's aluminum host and how the liner material marries up with pistion rings.
    I'm curious as to what type of oil and compression rings they use?
    I used what was called ZGTF or ZeroGapTaperedFace rings for my force fed application which nearly eliminated blowby under boost.
    My other cousin has an older supercharged Harley F150. The supercharger on both the Shelby and the F150 look like Eaton but the one on the truck and older Shelbys looks bigger?
    Are the superchargers different? If so, Why?
    Shelby rear ends. As I understand new Shelbys have an 8.8" with a finned cast aluminum cover.
    Do these rear ends still have C-clip retained 28 spline axles? If so and if they are Moser axles I'm sure they're plenty strong for their intended purpose of 550HP. I'm not so sure about C-clip retainers.
    From a glance at the underneath of his 2011 it looks like the subframes have been beefed up...alot. Still it looks like frame connectors can and should be installed, couldn't hurt.
    My cousin's Shelby has the SVT suspension option. Aside from spring rates what is the difference from the stock suspension? Maybe hard bushings.
    I could not see the rear upper control arms but the rear lower control look different than the 1985 up to mid 90s arms. What is the difference.
    Did i see a Panhard rod under there?

Ton of questions iknow but it is interesting.
    Thank You For Your Time
    VonBarky