Join Shelby Forums Today

66 GT350 SFM6S389 for sale

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by fnkmstr67, Jul 9, 2006.

1. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

Yes I do have a copy....and my name is in there somewhere. I forsee a day when there is an owned car to go with every single serial number. Some of the cars will be 99% original and some of them will be .00001% original. You chose to draw the line at .00001%. I draw the line at 75%. I don't claim a clone to be a "shelby" even though it can be more so than many of the flock. I just have a problem with the financial componant of this hobby. If you spend enough money you can make it happen. I would like to separate the enthusiast from the speculator. It is possible to be both... I suppose. My interest is in the machine and it's life.... not the portfolio and it's fiduciary component.
    jimbo

2. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

A clone, no matter how wonderful the completion, cannot be considered the
    equal of a Shelby. Simply stated: It did not begin life as a Shelby, nor did
    it pass thru Shelby American.

6S389, like most Shelbys, will be restored to various degrees of condition
    in the future. Some will require more, others, lesser amounts of work and money. Regardless, they will always be Shelbys.

Financial law dictates value. High demand and few numbers available, equate
    to high prices. Not much we can do about that. As enthusiasts, this tends
    to diminish the ability to purchase one of them. Agreed, speculators tend
    to muck up the market somewhat, but thats nothing new.

As far as an owner for each serial number, we have that now. ( except for the Shelbys that have been crushed/destroyed ) There is still a lot of Shelby owners that don't belong to SAAC and have never reported in with the
    numbers of their cars. So, there will always be a bit of "unknown" about
    these cars.

We will always have cars that will range from a 100% original, unmolested
    examples, to others of less originality. However, they will always be Shelbys.
    shlby66

3. ccarccrazy

ccarccrazy Well-Known Member

Just a quick question due to the fact that I unfortunately don't have a registery.
    How many 66's are actually registered? And is 2,380 the correct production total?

Thanks,
    Gary

4. 6S263

6S263 Active Member

It's stuff like this that make me want to get out of the hobby all together. It's no longer about the cars and all about the money now. I've been in it since the 80's and have never had less fun with the cars than I do now. And now to suggest that a Shelby with 74% originality is the same (or less) as a clone? I will take all of the 74% Shelbys you can bring me at clone prices. What has made these cars special over the years has been historical significance and each car has it's own history. The history of a particular car may now be that it only has X% of it's orginal parts. I'm fine with that. The market will determine what that value is. 6S389 or what is left of it will always be a Shelby with it's own indvidual history. It cannot be returned to 100% originality ever, but I hope somebody saves what they can of the car rather than crushing it. As long as the history is properly disclosed I would much rather see the car saved and rebuilt rather than crushed or rebodied.

5. eljimb0

If you have ever taken one if these cars completly apart it becomes apparant that there is no clear line between when there is no longer a car there anymore. Many cars have a new front. Everything in front of the windshield frame is a different car or new metal. Others the rear has been replaced. If you look at a "tub" .. stripped bare you can imagine there is still a car there. Cut off the rear quarters and remove the floor sheet metal and you have almost nothing. Rust gets in the roof drip rail and you need to graft a roof from another car. It is easier to do if you cut the windshield pillar down low.
    Guy number one gets the serial number.... Guy number two gets the original motor, rear end, tranny, steering wheel, seatbelts, hood, aircleaner, carburator, special brakes, original seats and interior, tachometer, monte carlo bar, front suspension, Guy number three gets a piece of metal with the serial number cut out.
    Who has the Shelby?
    Car No 1. is now a concours perfect restoration. No detail has been overlooked. Every yellow chassis mark has been perfectly replaced(?). All the little dabs of paint on the springs, driveshaft are perfect.
    Car No 2. spends weekends at the drag strip. It is a decent 12 second car.
    the motor is now a stroked windsor. Paid for by selling the original tranny to some guy in Michigan. The original motor scattered years ago but is in a plastic bag in his garage.
    Car No 3. is owned by a California lawyer. He is trying to buy the bag of motor shrapnel from guy No 2. He knows that if he can get the motor he can take the paperwork away from guy No 1.

This is not my hobby ... Is it yours?
    Please try to answer the question.. who has the Shelby?
    jimbo

6. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

I believe as long as you have most of the original shell (it actually saw the inside of the Shelby factory in the 1960s) you have the original car.

Now if its so bad you have to add a new firewall forward, new floors, new roof, new frame rails,new rocker panels, new door jams, new cowl, new trunk area ,, then the situation gets as bad as you say. I think cars that are both wrecked and very rusty would fall into this area....and may tempt someone to do a rebody. ...right or wrong.

But this car from first glance does not look that bad! I think that is why it is so important that people take lots of pictures before, during and after the restoration. That way the buyer can see exactly what was replaced.

I dont see why the clone guys are upset. Their cars are bringing 2002 Shelby values. That's nothing to sneeze at ...and they can drive them and modify them without as much second guessing. Besides, if tired old Shelby projects are bringing this kind of money, dont you see that that is what is pulling the value of your clone up as well... that's not bad is it?

7. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Yes, I agree. In fact, many of the clones I have seen have been done to great detail. I don't have a problem with them. I just think that the car that this thread was started on is worth saving and is no less a Shelby because some sheet metal will have to be replaced. Only someone who is trying to turn a dollar on this car thinks it was too much work. If someone handy gets this thing they could put some sweat equity into it and have a special car when they get done.

8. shlby66

6S389 will no doubt undergo a major restoration in the future. Like so many
    Shelbys that have been severly neglected, will require great effort and like
    sums of money. I tip my hat to the owner or future owner who takes on this
    task. To bring a Shelby back to life, is noble, and personally rewarding. I
    know, as I have accomplished the same thing.

Today, most restorations of Shelbys are completed to such a high standard,
    they eclipse the original condition of a showroom new one. Great care is
    usually taken to to maintain as much of the original car as possible and all
    parts are either refurbished originals or NOS. The trend is to make it the best
    it can be.

If faced with the same choice again, I would do the same. To me, it's "a no
    brainer". I would always choose to save a Shelby. Just remember; it takes
    about the same amount of money and effort to restore a plain jane Mustang
    as to restore a Shelby. Which one would rather be driving?
    shlby66

9. eljimb0

In this post I asked the question "which one is the Shelby?"
    http://www.shelbyforums.com/forums/14838-post65.html
    Car No. 1, 2, or 3.
    Is It the one with the most parts that went through the Shelby factory? Is it the one with the paperwork? Is it the 200 pounds of bent rusted sheetmetal and the lawyer?
    I don't know.
    jimbo

10. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

The Shelby ceased to exist when the serial number was removed.

11. eljimb0

I think I agree with you. That or when the decision was made that the Shelby was going to need another car to be sacrificed to continue..

jimbo
    Does anyone out there know where I can find a new old stock roof?
    :blink:

12. shlby66

Convoluted therioes are meaningless and have no value. Except to those
    who are desparately trying to use them to try to pump up the value of their clones.

Each and every Shelby restoration is delt with on its own merit. That usually
    means serial number verification, paperwork documentation and accumulated
    history. No matter the work involved, it's STILL a Shelby.

Bottom line: clones are just fakes. Always will be.
    shlby66

13. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Dyncorn make a nice one.:blink: Not new old stock though it is good enough for a clone.:confused:
    [​IMG]

14. Sandy Galbraith

Sandy Galbraith Well-Known Member

Well the car has a new owner and is head to Cobra Automotive to be restored. Not sure that Curt knows the extent of the rust on this car....but he will soon.:eek:

15. Mr. Camaro

Mr. Camaro New Member

What a read!:laf:
    I'm sure the car will be jam up after CA is done with it.:thumbsup:

16. Sandy Galbraith

Sandy Galbraith Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken the car has already been moved along to at least one if not 2 new owners....just something I heard through the grapevine...can't confirm it.:unsure: