Join Shelby Forums Today

67 500 turn signals

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Solid Lifters, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Solid Lifters

Solid Lifters New Member

I bought my Shelby in late 80's from 2nd owner who'd had since it was 6 mos. old. Turn signals didn't work, and I've never tried to fix em. I sold the car once and it had a full disassembly/ground up re assembly from bare hull, and I bought it back. Turn signals still don't work. There was a sequential turn signal device listed on E Bay as being for a '67 '68 Shelby. So I bought it and couldnt see a place in the harness where all these plugs would fit. I was told yesterday by someone who I consider knowlegeable that the '67 turn signals don't go sequential like the newer ones anyway. Is this correct?

2. ELJ1st500

ELJ1st500 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Yes, that is correct. The '67 Shelbys did not have sequential turn signals.

Thanks,
    Eric

3. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Ok, now you know, no sequentials. So, look for the disconnect block at the base of the steering column. To get a new turn signak switch in, or out, you have to push the pins out of the plastic block. Many folks don't know how to do this, do it wrong, and leave wires (pins) not connected. It's a good place to start.
    Also, don't rule out bad grounds at all locations.

4. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

The obvious, have you replaced the turn signal flasher?
    Had to replace mine last summer when the signal had
    given up. Now it works fine.
    Texas Swede

5. FE Mann

FE Mann Member

Did you mention if the brake lights & tail lights work???

6. bossshelby

bossshelby Well-Known Member

Yup,I had the same problem last year and it turned out being the turn signal switch.Make sure you use a HD one as there are a lot of bulbs in the back harness!
    greg

7. ELJ1st500

ELJ1st500 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Here is something to consider. You might try using the turn signal switch from a '67 Cougar. It makes sense since the Shelby has the Cougar tail lights.......

I had a problem with the headlight switch on my '67 GT 500 years ago. I replaced the Mustang headlight switch with a Cougar headlight switch and the problem was solved.

I could be wrong here. But, since the Cougars came stock with four headlight bulbs and six tail light bulbs; I believe the Cougar light switches have higher amperage(?) ratings than the same parts in a Mustang.

Hopefully, this helps you solve the problem.

Best regards,
    Eric

8. Solid Lifters

Solid Lifters New Member

Thanks to everybody that responded so far. I think this is gonna be one of my projects for the weekend.

As far as the flasher, that's one of the problems............. I never found one or a place to plug it. I figured it was in some bizarre location, and then got pointed toward the sequential switch. I layed on my back and looked around all under the dash on both sides and didn't see any place for a flasher. When I first started foolin' with Corvettes in the 70's (I'm a lot stronger on Vette collectin' that Fords:eek: ) I almost NEVER found the flasher on my first '69. Chevy put them behind the dash on the passenger side, for some reason I've never figured out. I thought that maybe the Shelby had it in some similarly strange location. Most of my other stuff has it plugged on the fuse panel, but I don't see an empty position that looks like it'd accept one unless they're configured a lot different from GM.

9. Texas Swede

Hi,
    On a non-AC equipped car, the flasher is mounted in a holder
    behind the instrument panel. I laid down from the passenger side,
    not easy for a 6' 2", 220 lbs guy, and was able to get it off the holder.
    Didn't actually see the flasher but felt it with my hand.
    The problem is to get the wires disconnected and reconnect them to the
    new flasher. I removed the complete ash tray unit and was able to
    fix it from there. Then down on the floor again to reconnect it in the holder.
    It may be easier to remove the instrument panel but I didn't want
    to go that route as I was afraid of scratching the steering column.
    Worked out fine and took about an hour and a half.
    Good luck,
    Texas Swede

10. Joe Sikora

Joe Sikora Active Member

When I got my 67 (SAAC survivor, 37,000 miles been off the road since 1974) the turn signal flasher was burned out. It was a stock Mustang flasher, so I doubt it had ever been replaced. Problem is, the stock 2-lamp flasher isn't up to to the current draw of the extra lamps Shelby added to the rear of the car. I'm sure they never gave a thought to upgrading the flasher when they were making the GT350/500's. If you want it to be original, put in another 2-lamp flasher. If you want it to hold up, put in a heavy duty 4-lamp flasher.

BTW, Solid Lifters, I have a 67 435 horse coupe :)

11. Texas Swede

When I replaced my flasher, I had owned the car for
    30 years and never changed the flasher.
    Summer of 2007 I installed a standard original flasher from an
    early Mustang and it works fine.
    Texas Swede

12. Joe Sikora

Joe Sikora Active Member

A standard Mustang 2-lamp flasher will work, but it is not designed for the high current draw of the additional taillights. I too replaced the burned out Mustang flasher with another stock 2-lamp flasher. With as little as I use the car, I have had no problems, but a heavy duty 4-lamp flasher is really what is needed with the extra taillights.