Join Shelby Forums Today

AC clutches

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Ronald. Robertson, May 25, 2006.

1. One of the mottos I try to follow is "never try to reinvent the wheel," and this is particularly true when restoring or tidying up a restoration on a vehicle.
    My 1969 AC clutch looks like a refugee from an amateur paint convention. It appears that at some time, someone painted it black (I am assuming from pictures that the originals were natural metal). Then, perhaps another someone, painted over that with an argent paint. Now the black is showing through the argent which doesn't look so hot either. Anyone taken theirs off and stripped it and if so, how did you do that? Anyone cleaned theirs by holding steel wool or similar to the clutch while the engine is running or am I looking for some finger damage? That would clean up the hub part, but not sure how to clean the face of it. Anyone tried bead blasting or walnut shell blasting - I suspect that would leave a matte finish on the part. Or am I better just to paint over it with some new argent paint? Any help appreciated.
    Ron

2. Personally if the car is nice and the rest of the compartment is in good
    shape I would want to remove the clutch and clean it off the car. I believe they
    were cad plated originally (but check with the 'experts').
    you can use some carb cleaner or brake fluid to get the paint to come off
    and do a final rinse with brake cleaner(alcohol) and then start from there

bob

3. Bob is right the later 68, 69/70 Shelby AC clutch was plated cad or
    silver. I take them apart and replate them. When replating it does mean
    you will have to press in a new bearing in one of the pieces. Bob G.
    On Thursday, May 25, 2006, at 08:17 AM, RSANTER (AT) aol (DOT) com wrote:

> Personally if the car is nice and the rest of the compartment is in
    > good shape I would want to remove the clutch and clean it off the car.
    > I believe they were cad plated originally (but check with the
    > 'experts').
    > you can use some carb cleaner or brake fluid to get the paint to come
    > off and do a final rinse with brake cleaner(alcohol) and then start
    > from there
    >  
    > bob

4. Jeff Speegle

Jeff Speegle Guest

You mean this part

jeff S
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: Shelby Mustang
    Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:21 AM
    Subject: AC clutches

One of the mottos I try to follow is "never try to reinvent the wheel," and this is particularly true when restoring or tidying up a restoration on a vehicle.
    My 1969 AC clutch looks like a refugee from an amateur paint convention. It appears that at some time, someone painted it black (I am assuming from pictures that the originals were natural metal). Then, perhaps another someone, painted over that with an argent paint. Now the black is showing through the argent which doesn't look so hot either. Anyone taken theirs off and stripped it and if so, how did you do that? Anyone cleaned theirs by holding steel wool or similar to the clutch while the engine is running or am I looking for some finger damage? That would clean up the hub part, but not sure how to clean the face of it. Anyone tried bead blasting or walnut shell blasting - I suspect that would leave a matte finish on the part. Or am I better just to paint over it with some new argent paint? Any help appreciated.
    Ron

5. Jeff Speegle

Jeff Speegle Guest

This piece?

JeffS

One of the mottos I try to follow is "never try to reinvent the wheel," and this is particularly true when restoring or tidying up a restoration on a vehicle.
    Ron

6. Yup! That's the one.
    Ron
    To: Ronald. Robertson ; Shelby Mustang
    Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:19 PM
    Subject: Re: AC clutches

You mean this part

jeff S

Ron

7. Jeff Speegle

Jeff Speegle Guest

Sorry been gone a few days (should have responded quickly) Did mean, by posting that picture) that was the correct finish only that was the part in question.

As with many pieces different factories received different parts with a variety of details and specifications )shocks & shock mounts come to mind quickly)

The part I posted was from a 69 dealer installed kit for FE's (engine compartment kit) boxed in 68-69

Later

Jeff

To: Jeff Speegle ; Shelby Mustang
    Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 2:58 PM

Yup! That's the one.
    Ron

You mean this part

jeff S

Ron

8. Jeff Speegle

Jeff Speegle Guest

Sorry been gone a few days (should have responded quickly) Did mean, by posting that picture) that was the correct finish only that was the part in question.

As with many pieces different factories received different parts with a variety of details and specifications )shocks & shock mounts come to mind quickly)

The part I posted was from a 69 dealer installed kit for FE's (engine compartment kit) boxed in 68-69

Later

Jeff

Yup! That's the one.
    Ron

You mean this part

jeff S

Ron

9. Jeff Speegle

Jeff Speegle Guest

Later

Jeff

Yup! That's the one.
    Ron

You mean this part

jeff S

Ron