Join Shelby Forums Today

Barret Jackson Prices

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by mherman2, Jan 19, 2008.

1. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Saw that, the individuals were bidding from the belvedere sky box. The woman was pretty relentless in her bidding...just kept givin the old nod to the bidders assistant. Needless to say, i was pretty jealous of the kid....good car with a few imperfections but a nice racing history. 420?..right?
    Best Regards,
    Vern

2. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Cross flow radiator, odd side stripes, back up lights........Think I've judged it at least one time at some point.... the odd ball radiator just looks familiar.... but it could have been another auction

Yes it was 5S420 but don't know about any race history. The registry shows nothing and the only "information" was some provided by the seller. For what that is worth. Was surprise as to how much it brought. But I've never been a great guesser as to how much someone will be willing to pay. Really doubt the lady cared about any history. Just hope the kid takes it easy driving it to school next week ;)

And I seriously think he will be driving it around ........... recall someone local that bought one of Bob P's thoroughbred Boss's for his kid to drive to college.

3. vernonestes

Wait....
    I thought we were talking about the Barrett car which was #69 and had some racing history in scca b production. The 420 was the price if i am not mistaken.
    Best Regards,
    Vern

4. SFM 5025

SFM 5025 Active Member

Actually the '65 GT-350 brought extremely strong money--record territory in fact, if you figure it this way: at a "gavel price" of $420,000 if you then add in the 10% commission, the complete 'total sales price" comes to $462,000.

That's for a beautiful double-digit car (5S069) with a few things not correct--but with nothing unique about the car (other than it's a double-digit car).

Compare that to the recent sale of 5010 in early 2007 (with its one completely unique prototype feature--namely, T-Bird tail lights). This is the only car of its kind in the world, of course. 5010 sold in early 2007 for $528,000. At only $66,000 apart, the inference would be that had 5010 sold at BJ rather than at private sale, she could have commanded well North of $528,000--possibly approaching or going North of $600,000 (given the complete uniqueness of the car), and how it has historically traded well North of other double-digit cars.

Regards to all,

Neil​

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  5. vernonestes

That is a good way to put it.
    Besides, #10 was also used in redline 7000, had 66 scoops and was a paxton test car as well.
    Great profile of the car in sports car market a while back.
    http://www.colinsclassicauto.com/detail.php?car=200
    Best Regards,
    Vern

6. ShelbyLuva

ShelbyLuva Well-Known Member

I think it was obvious that '66 prices were off, or realistic, depending on your perspective. There was the red Hertz that sold for 100K, the red/white car that brought 120ish, and the blue Hertz for 135K all at B-J. None of them were perfect, but all were nice. The problem with the '66 market is that there are about 5 of those cars that have been advertised for sale at between 180K and 235K. The problem is that they have been for sale forever, no one is buying at that price, but it makes others feel their car is worth that too. So nothing is moving in the '66 market it seems, except in the "no reserve" environment where they have a chance to actually sell for what someone is actually willing to pay.

7. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

You can add the Blue 66 that sold at Russo & Steele for $200K plus commission

8. John76

John76 Well-Known Member

i saw the car and it looked great. However, there was incorrect stuff on the car...and i know i missed a lot. And the seller, a custom car place in south orange county CA, has been know to be shady. I have not heard good things about their biz practices and i wouldn't trust the car. This might have hurt the value and accounted for the "racing history".

9. bobbyboy

bobbyboy Member

You are correct , sir , it is a beautiful car ,I am the lucky guy that bought the Telladega. I quess I was in the right place at the right time . I also bought the red 1968 1/2 cj car [ 4 sp , 4:30 rear end ]

10. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

Great for you!! I saw that car go across the block and thought man that things gonna be a six figure car. Looked awesome from what I could see on T.V. Was the car just as described? Have any pics you can share? According to your profile info, you have some nice cars!. Any pics you'd like to share? ...CONGRATS!!!
    Jim

11. bobbyboy

bobbyboy Member

Jim , the car is as they described it . I looked it over pretty good in the staging area . There is just some typical touch up things to do like getting some over spray off taillight wires etc but after all thats all part of the fun ! I will try to post some pics this week end,
    thanks for the interest .

12. 66gtk

66gtk Well-Known Member

Hi guys. Actually, the #10 car was sold at Auction - RM. I agree it should have sold for more $$, if you compare it to the BJ '65. Not sure the '65 at BJ was a logical market value. Heck, Kopec's R model sold for cheap in comparison - also an RM auction.​

13. 66gtk

66gtk Well-Known Member

Congratulations Bobbyboy!!

[​IMG]

14. vernonestes

Ya....and rm sold the race transporter or 60......they arent the best place to sell anything but cobras......2011 got 1.575 and they thought that was short of its worth.
    Best regards,
    Vern