Join Shelby Forums Today

Cleaning the Shelby Seat Belts

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Tony, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Tony

Tony Guest

Hey anybody have any tips or tricks on cleaning the old seat belts and
    harnesses? What to do or "not" to do ? I'm getting ready to slip the carpet
    and such back in to my 68 KR and thought you guys might have some ideas for
    me.

Thanks in advance,

Tony H.

2. Tony:
    When we cleaned ours, my wife put them in warm water with laundry soap and let them soak overnight, then swished them in the soapy water, then rinsed them several times in clear water until the water ran clear. She then hung them up to dry. Came out nice and clean and no harsh chemicals. Everything I have read says, no harsh chemicals on seat belts, it deteriorates the fabric. Soap and water worked for me.
    Ron
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: shelbymustang (AT) carmemories (DOT) com
    Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 1:31 PM
    Subject: Cleaning the Shelby Seat Belts

Hey anybody have any tips or tricks on cleaning the old seat belts and harnesses? What to do or "not" to do ? I'm getting ready to slip the carpet and such back in to my 68 KR and thought you guys might have some ideas for me.

Thanks in advance,

Tony H.

3. Thats how we do ours. Mild Soap and hot water. Let them soak and repeat the process if needed. You can send them off to Snake Oyl if you like. They will come back like new.
    Thank you,
    Mike McCullough
    405-760-6732
    405-330-4535
    www.worldwidemusclecars.com
    To: Tony ; shelbymustang (AT) carmemories (DOT) com
    Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 6:59 PM
    Subject: Re: Cleaning the Shelby Seat Belts

Tony:
    When we cleaned ours, my wife put them in warm water with laundry soap and let them soak overnight, then swished them in the soapy water, then rinsed them several times in clear water until the water ran clear. She then hung them up to dry. Came out nice and clean and no harsh chemicals. Everything I have read says, no harsh chemicals on seat belts, it deteriorates the fabric. Soap and water worked for me.
    Ron

Hey anybody have any tips or tricks on cleaning the old seat belts and harnesses? What to do or "not" to do ? I'm getting ready to slip the carpet and such back in to my 68 KR and thought you guys might have some ideas for me.

Thanks in advance,

Tony H.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.4.0/306 - Release Date: 4/9/2006

4. Randall Paul

Randall Paul Guest

My uses a product called shout and man does it work. IT gets out anything with out damage or discoloring I now use it on everything.

Good Luck
    To: Ronald. Robertson ; Tony ; shelbymustang (AT) carmemories (DOT) com
    Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 3:29 AM

Thats how we do ours. Mild Soap and hot water. Let them soak and repeat the process if needed. You can send them off to Snake Oyl if you like. They will come back like new.
    Thank you,
    Mike McCullough
    405-760-6732
    405-330-4535
    www.worldwidemusclecars.com
    To: Tony ; shelbymustang (AT) carmemories (DOT) com
    Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 6:59 PM

Tony:
    Ron

Thanks in advance,

Tony H.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.4.0/306 - Release Date: 4/9/2006

5. Guest

Guest Guest

An old trick, that works. Take a gallon bucket, fill it about 1/4 full of Simple Green cleaner and add enough water to take it to 1/2full. Put the seat belts in, buckles and all. Add enough water to cover the belts and agitate once in a while. Depending on how hard and dirty they are, leave them a couple of days. Setting the bucket in the sun speeds the process. Take the belts out and throughly rinse with water, When they dry, they should be soft and work properly. A little black fabric dye mixed with water will restore the color. Been using this for years. SEE Y'ALL LEE
    >
    > From: "Tony" <krman (AT) fuse (DOT) net>
    > Date: 2006/04/09 Sun PM 01:31:50 EDT
    > To: <shelbymustang (AT) carmemories (DOT) com>
    > Subject: Cleaning the Shelby Seat Belts
    >
    >