Join Shelby Forums Today

Daytona Coupe In The MONKEES

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by vernonestes, Oct 9, 2007.

1. 427SnakeSC

427SnakeSC Active Member

Shelbyluva, the Cobra used in Gumball Rally was CSX 3255.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  2. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

427SnakeSC-

You are leeching videos off of one of my servers:

http://www.my427.com

Please remove the links immediately.

Thanks

3. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

I would really like to see pictures of CSX2287 now. I saw pictures when the current owner first got it, and I of course have copies of the few pictures taken of the car sitting in the storage container over the years, but none since then. What does it look like now? I would love to know how to see it on trips to Philadelphia sometime....

4. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to know if the Spector car was still in Spector's hands when it was in the Monkees show. Spector gave the car to his bodyguard when he got too many tickets cruising Sunset with it and the rest is history, involving a burning woman, $3 million, etc. etc. It was SN 2287.

Regarding Elvis Presley and the white 427 Cobra, what process is it called (besides plagerism) where you can stop a movie on a particular frame and then print out that scene with clarity? I'd like to do that in the opening scene of Spinout where The King is cruising along in the white 427 for what seems like 30 seconds, front 3/4 view. Then he somehow crashes and the cheap movie makers substitute the Cobra with some kit car, looks like Kellison. Actually I should be glad they didn't crash a real Cobra. Anyhow I'll rent the film and the equipment if anyone can name what equipment you need to capture a single frame from a movie?

5. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

I think that if you stick a copy of the movie on DVD in a computer, you can stop it on the frame you want and capture that image. No additional equipment to rent.

6. Rickman

Rickman Member

Isn't the Spectre Coupe the on on Jay Lenos car site?

7. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

Yes, the video is a nice look at an unrestored car, just how it should be.

8. bitzman

Two threads at one time here...

Wasn't Phil Spector the producer of the Monkees at that point?
    Last I heard of him he was on trial for murder.
    He probably worked it into the video so he could write off the purchase price of the car as a "prop."
    His old lawyer tried to hire me to get the title for it so they could prove he still owned it, but then they said they didn't want me applying for a copy of the title because they didn't want to tip off the other side that they didn't have it. I figure the lady that had the car forged Spector's signature so she could use 2287 to drive to high school (not as crazy as it sounds, when I went to high school, one student drove a mid-engined armored car!)

Regarding the Cobra in Gumball Rally I heard they rented two of them.
    One belonged to an LA detective. I later stayed in the same crummy hotel as he did at Monterey and when he started it up, it shook the whole hotel.
    If you look at the movie closely in one scene the nose is crumpled a bit.
    They had to repaint both cars before returning them.

9. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

the best Cobra in a '60's TV show was Honey West starring Anne Francis. She was smokin' hot, in or out of the car. Although in one episode a Rolls or Bentley chased, and passed her. Not believable.

Z. Ray

10. ShelbyLuva

ShelbyLuva Well-Known Member

That is still an excellent Cobra, owned by Joyce Yates along with the 1st GT350S.

11. bitzman

427 in Gumball

real car. It belonged to an LAPD detective, Duane (can't remember last name)He later painted it black. During the filming they had two 427 Cobras.
    The producer/director was Chuck Bail. They actually built a huge contraption to mount to the front of the Cobra to be able to film the actor driving it.
    They smashed in the nose of one, you can see it in one scene. I don't know why they didn't then use the backup car.

12. owenkelley

owenkelley Member

There's also a great old episode of The Fugitive with a 427 Cobra in it. In the show, a young girl asks David Janssen to help her out because she just put a dent in her Dad's car and he'll kill her when he finds out, so they go out to the driveway and it's a 427 Cobra. It gets driven a bit in the episode too as I recall. Also have seen a 7-Litre Galaxie in some old episodes of The Fugitive.

13. owenkelley

owenkelley Member

I'm pretty sure Spector never produced The Monkees. He was on trial for murder, but there was either a mistrial or a hung jury. The second trial has already begun. I think he's nuts.

14. Rickman

Rickman Member

There were about 4 or 5 episodes of The Fugitive with Cobras in them. All but the one above were with 289 cars. In one there is a White car with a soft top, it may also be the Honey West car, I'm not sure.