Join Shelby Forums Today

Engine oil

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Ronald Robertson, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Let's start a new thread on the subject of engine oil.
    There are probably as many opinions as there are Shelby/Mustang lovers, but let's talk about your experience and preferences.
    What and who makes a good natural oil?
    Quaker State appears to be a high ash oil (we just opened our 351W which was fed QS and it is full of guck)
    Castrol GTX, which is recommended by a local restorer, is supposed to be low ash and therefore a cleaner oil.
    I have also heard from another afficionado that Penzzoil (although owned by Quaker State) is a different formula, and is low ash.
    What about synthetics? I have heard people rave and some curse them.
    Let's get some discussion on this subject because the warm weather is coming (hopefully soon).
    Ron

2. JRW

JRW Guest

Well Ronald,
    I've always used Penz 10w-40 in all my Ford engines.All the rebuilds I've done & in anything I changed the oil in-Except my truck.
    I'm running 5w 40 In my 97 F-150.I've had great service & preformance from it.And I have seen Q state "gob up" in some engines I've torn down,maybe from the oil or lack of changing it?.My last engine I built was in My Boss 302.Filled her full of 10 40 Penz & let her rip.When I get this 428 CJ rebuilt That's whats going in it too.Can't knock what has always worked for me.
    That's My .02
    Jack W
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: Shelby Mustang
    Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 3:06 PM
    Subject: Engine oil

Let's start a new thread on the subject of engine oil.
    There are probably as many opinions as there are Shelby/Mustang lovers, but let's talk about your experience and preferences.
    Quaker State appears to be a high ash oil (we just opened our 351W which was fed QS and it is full of guck)
    Castrol GTX, which is recommended by a local restorer, is supposed to be low ash and therefore a cleaner oil.
    I have also heard from another afficionado that Penzzoil (although owned by Quaker State) is a different formula, and is low ash.
    Let's get some discussion on this subject because the warm weather is coming (hopefully soon).
    Ron

3. STAN SIMM

STAN SIMM Guest

Ron-I wouldn't run synthetics on an old engine that hadn't been re-built recently but synthetics are far superior to conventional oil when it comes to withstanding exteremely high heat. I use Mobil 1 10W-30 in my '95 Cobra R and, on a hot day at VIR, oil temp can easily get to 240-250 F. Not to worry w/a good syn. but I'd be sweating bullets w/a conv. oil. That, plus you don't need to chg. as often which makes the cost differential negligible. Incidentally, I have found Mobil 1 at Target for about $3.50 or so a qt.
    Regards, Stan
    Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 4:06 PM

Ron

4. Great feedback so far. Looks like we have some real synthetic fans with Mobil 1 at the top of the pack. Let's hear some more opinions.
    Ron

Ron

5. shelbyparts

shelbyparts Guest

the best kept secret in the oil business is Schaeffer oil. check them out. they are a small refiner in Missouri and they make super high quality products. I had a Ford F250 with 351 W in it. The lifters rattled like crazy at 60,000 miles. I changed to 15w40 schaeffer semi synhetic parafin base oil and the rattle went away almost immediately. I traded the truck in to the local Ford dealer at 265,000 miles and the compression test was still right on. A lot of those miles were heavy towing! The mileage also went from 11 to 13 by the second change. They also will test your oil and tell you what kind of wear characteristics you have and will recomend oil change intervals. Im running their striaght 50W racing oil in my comp car when Im on the track and using 20W50 on the street. I still use 15/40 in my Super Duty Diesel. The cost is more than premium name brand but less than the full synthetic name brands. If you can t find a sales rep. contact me and Ill let mine handle it.
    To: Ronald Robertson ; Shelby Mustang
    Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:42 PM
    Subject: Re: Engine oil

Ron-I wouldn't run synthetics on an old engine that hadn't been re-built recently but synthetics are far superior to conventional oil when it comes to withstanding exteremely high heat. I use Mobil 1 10W-30 in my '95 Cobra R and, on a hot day at VIR, oil temp can easily get to 240-250 F. Not to worry w/a good syn. but I'd be sweating bullets w/a conv. oil. That, plus you don't need to chg. as often which makes the cost differential negligible. Incidentally, I have found Mobil 1 at Target for about $3.50 or so a qt.
    Regards, Stan

Ron