Join Shelby Forums Today

ford racing headers - 2007 GT500

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by robwidner, May 30, 2011.

1. robwidner

robwidner Well-Known Member

hey everyone i recently put the ford racing ceramic shorty headers on my 2007 shelby gt 500. after mucho sweating and gallons and gallons of beer, required to get my car buddies to help with install. i have them in and they are leaking on the driver's side last tube"closest to the firewall". we have tried loosening them and retightening, but to no avail. we have a friend that owns a speed shop, and we followed his advice and tightened the from the center out. anyone out there that can give me some advice, would be greatly appreciated.

2. Troy

Troy Member

Re: ford racing headers

Did you use an aftermarket gasket or the original? Use the original shim and use copper rtv on both sides. I know its a pain but pull the header back out and and run a file across the mating surface on the header to make sure its flat.

3. robwidner

robwidner Well-Known Member

troy , you are dead on with the advice. i took the car to a local speed shop and they used my factory manifold gaskets and all good now.

4. Troy

Troy Member

Good to hear its fixed...leaky headers suck. I hope you used good locking header bolts. The different expansion rates between the aluminum heads and steel headers is what causes them to loosen.