Join Shelby Forums Today

Front end

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Daniel Wilcox, May 24, 2005.

1. Guys, anyone with experience on choosing and changing out front end on 1965
    Mustang. On the one I bought, I'm thinking about options.

1. Just replace A arms and install disk brake kit
    2. Go with upgrade A arms w/ disk brake kit
    3. Go with Mustang 2 set up w/ rack and pinion
    4. Go with Struts (like RRS, Fatman, etc.)

Wanting good ride, stopping, steering. Definitely looking at rack and
    pinion steering and power disks (likely front and rear). Installation is
    not a problem, just wondering the best ride for the money (I know it's a lot
    for some of the options) but worth it if drives better.

Looking for thoughts and ideas. Thanks!!

Dan Wilcox

2. Jeff Fox

Jeff Fox Guest

Have the following on my '67 (not sure of the fitment issues of my '67 vs a '65), but ...

If you want to experience probably the best bolt in system you can get consider a coil over front suspension and power rack & pinion steering (or manual) by "Total Control Products (TCP)". The steering uses a small styple KRC pump which I really like because you can adjust the feel of the steering although I've never had to. I also used TCP motor mounts and rear shock mounts with chassis tiedown slots. They may also be listed under "Chris Alston Chassisworks" who bought them out.

With Total Control you get the Mustang II or Fat Man ride without having to cut anything up. I also used a Baer bumpsteer kit, 1" sway bar, MPG export brace and monte carlo bar. The ride is unbelievable. The cost, on the higher end, but worth every single second.

Brake wise I went with a Stainless Steel Brakes power disc lightweight 4 piston setup with '70 drum spindles (bigger) and used 11" x 2.25" finned truck style drums and painted them black to get that deep look to the rear wheels. For me, this setup stops every bit as good as 4 wheel discs unless you do some road type racing with repeated braking, then you might get a little fade from the rear.

If you need pictures, prices, anything just let me know.

Just one opinion ...

----- Original Message -----
    To: Shelby
    Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 7:40 PM
    Subject: Front end

Guys, anyone with experience on choosing and changing out front end on 1965 Mustang. On the one I bought, I'm thinking about options.

1.. Just replace A arms and install disk brake kit
    2.. Go with upgrade A arms w/ disk brake kit
    3.. Go with Mustang 2 set up w/ rack and pinion
    4.. Go with Struts (like RRS, Fatman, etc.)

Wanting good ride, stopping, steering. Definitely looking at rack and pinion steering and power disks (likely front and rear). Installation is not a problem, just wondering the best ride for the money (I know it's a lot for some of the options) but worth it if drives better.

Looking for thoughts and ideas. Thanks!!

Dan Wilcox