Join Shelby Forums Today

Got a fix it ticket on my 2007 GT500.. any suggestions ?

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by tom, Dec 29, 2008.

1. tom

tom Member

Yesterday the CHP stopped me for not having the front license plate not properly attached to the front of my car . A fix-it ticket was issued. I do have the front license attached to my passenger sun visor which I flip down so it is clearly visible from the front windshield. ( I live in Calif ). I told the officer that is attached and is very visible that 's why he saw it while passing me ! He stated it must by attached to the front. I have owned this car since May 2007 and this is the first time I've been stopped.
    I see lots of cars all day long with out their front plates. It seems because I own a highly visible Shelby it's like , oh like stop him ! I really don't want to drill holes in my front bumper. I've seem the special bracket to attach under the bumper but i'm not sure about the lack of air to the tranny cooler. Any suggestions , and thanks for letting me vent ! Tom

2. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

There are a couple of different Brackets that bolt on to the Front Bumper where the Bolts are Hidden so when the Bracket is removed, there are no visible Holes in the Face of the Front Bumper Cover and it places the Tag above the Lower Grill. Do a search on this Site for the Thread that has them.

David.

3. The Commissioner

The Commissioner Well-Known Member

Sometimes you just have to wonder. I was stationed in the San Jose area 20 years ago, and a CHumP stopped me, with a Dept of Defense decal and Florida license plates and gave me a ticket for my door windows being tinted. That was a joke. Scraped out the tint and the ticket was torn up. Too bad they don't worry about the idiots shooting guns, road rage, etc....

4. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

I have a suggestion. I have been working closely with law enforcement for over 30 years. The last thing people want is someone else telling them how to do their jobs. I would guess the officer has a better understanding of what the states expectations are.

Besides, he didn't even give you a ticket.

Just because the other people violating the law aren't caught (yet) is no defense.

Shape up. Oh, I wish could have a similar problem.

:mad:

5. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

Almost all States now require front plates. The dealers are supposed install them for you on the front bumper as specified by law in that State. For those who do not want to have holes drilled there are a number of after market bracket assembly mounts that have been posted on this and other sites.B)

6. 4.6 SHLB

4.6 SHLB Member

Tom:

Not wanting to get one of those fix-it tickets and knowing that a Shelby does attract attention, I got a front license plate mounting bracket kit from Craig's Custom Mustang Brackets. Look up www.ccmustangbrackets.com. No holes are drilled through the bumper and it provides a solid mount below the grill and above the lower air intake. The cost of the bracket delivered to Calif. was $51. The brackets come in flat black, silver, polished silver or a variety of the Ford Mustang colors. I actually like mine. Photo attached om mine mounted on my 4.6 SHLB.

Bob
    4.6 SHLB

Attached Files:

7. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

8. Doug_GT350

Doug_GT350 Well-Known Member

I'm glad Pennsylvania doesn't, I think they look ugly on some cars.

9. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Florida does not use Front Tags but the Dealers here will bolt a Dealership Advertisement Tag to the Front Bumper.......pisses me off to no end.

10. thefordshow

thefordshow Well-Known Member

+1, law enforcement has got to be one of the most thank less jobs out there. They have my support 100%:thumbsup:

11. Doug_GT350

Doug_GT350 Well-Known Member

I bet they don't pay you to advertise for them either! I told my dealer if you put any of your stickers or plate frames on mine it will be a no-sale!

12. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi all ! A friend and graphic artist designed an aluminum (T6) L shaped bracket that mounts to the 2 center bolts of the front spoiler,he has teflon spacers and stainless bolts to replace the shouldered originals.No holes need to be drilled,and it sets the plate away from the front end just enough to allow you to still see the stripes.They retail for $100.Easy to make if you have acess to sheet metal equipment,or as a temporary fix,zip tie it to the lower grille and get the ticket signed off,then get a bracket,or make one.
    As for the CHP I'm glad to hear he noticed you.Anyone with a nice car should get use to "special" attention,and if you were driving a stolen car he would have easily caught it.One of the first give aways is loose plates.Law enforcement is a difficult job and no way would I want to trade

Happy New Year! :thumbsup: P.D.