Join Shelby Forums Today

Hertz Emblem input !...

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by Awesome#108, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Awesome#108

Awesome#108 Member

What are anyone's thoughts on replacing the "HERTZ" on the doors with something else? I'm not sure I like advertizing Hertz on my car, BUT I also like the originality and exclusivity of my car (108 of 500). I have toyed with the idea of replacing them with a 4" Cobra, or nothing at all. Let me know if this is dumb and if I have offended the Shelby Gods in even bringing this up.

2. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Then what was the purpose of buying a "Hertz" rental car?

3. Awesome#108

Awesome#108 Member

I see your point roddster, I just loved the styling, automatic tranny, story behind it, and collectibility. Just not in love with Hertz on it. But you're right in every way.

4. TJinSA

TJinSA Well-Known Member

Avis? National? Enterprise?

5. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

It's dumb.

At a minimum, you will break the heart of the car's future owner. B)

6. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

Awesome#108,

+1. While I'm the kind of guy who says that it is your car and you can do whatever you want to it, in this case I'm with roddster. Leave this one alone.

7. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

If you do end up doing anything, keep the hertz badges, dont toss them or sell them....you will not find another set. Changing the emblems will decrease the value of the car too, so keeping them is essential.
    My opinion is to leave it alone tho. If you are gonna take the Hertz badge off, then you may as well take the H off the rocker stripes too, but at that point, why would you have bought a Hertz car...the whole point of the 1/500 exclusivity was to have a car that was different from a normal Shelby GT...taking the badges off or making it look like a "normal" SGT doesnt seem to make much sense. Imagine buying a 65 GT350 and than taking all the Shelby specific cosmetic items off and replacing them with Mustang GT parts...what was the point of buying a GT350 at that point?
    Just my 2 cents..
    Best,
    Vern

8. Awesome#108

Awesome#108 Member

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your input. I value the opinions of people who post here, therefore I think I'm gonna leave it alone. Now I have to ponder whether to re-stripe it based on your originality comments. It was repainted by the previous owner and the stripes were not put back on. I got to liking the "all black" stealthy look of it, but I know it's not original. Also, the climate in Southern Calif is not good for the stripes as the sun is too brutal. I've heard stories of metallic colored stripes oxidizing, fading, and curling in just a couple years. My thoughts are that no stripes are better than crappy stripes. I'm not sure I wanna pay 2k for painted on stripes either. Any thoughts on this one?

9. steele138

steele138 Well-Known Member

#109 got stripes from a local shop that does a lot of cosmetic work for dealers, look much better and were alot cheaper!

If the time comes I'm all about totally original I'll get it striped again.

Scott

10. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

awesome#108,

The physical appearance of a Hertz car is its calling card. Hertz owners are
    quite proud of that connection. Let it be.

I would most likely, seriously consider, painting the over the top stripes and
    adding new side stripes and leave the Hertz emblems on. Its a Hertz!

I think they are neat cars; having rented several of them. One of my rentals
    was #500. That was cool!:thumbsup:

shlby66

11. Awesome#108

Awesome#108 Member

shlby66,
    Thanks for replying. I agree about painting, but I just cant swallow a 1,600.00 paint job right now. I'll probably vinyl it. Thanks!
    by the way....I was originally from east coast....so I bet you're dying for the crappy weather to break so you can get out and cruise.

12. socalwrench

socalwrench Member

I would leave the Hertz emblems on the fenders as it fits with the car, and just do the vinyl side stripes. That would look great.