Join Shelby Forums Today

Higher and Higher

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Camilla, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Camilla

Camilla Guest

Reading the posts below on valuations. To me it seems that the car makers are going for the performance and styling of the sixties. Why? Well.. I feel that people want to put fun back into motoring. The major example and compliment is the new Ford GT Mustang and soon Cobra versions. Ford figured out that by re-styling the Mustang using 60's styling combined with new millennium performance, it would resurrect the nostalgic good time feel. Not to mention the need for speed and a bit of thunder under the hood. I live in New Zealand although am an American. The Ford GT Mustang here costs NZ$120,000 (US$85,650,00) and they are selling as fast as they are coming in at that price point. When asked about my 69 GT 500 and its value, I have no clear answer as it is not for sale but I know which I'd rather drive and or own. I also know which draws the crowed more when parked.

I parked at the beach yesterday and had a young man come and said wow what an awesome car. What is it? He opened the passenger side and sat with me. He couldn't believe that the car was almost 40 years old with only 77,791 miles on the clock. I gave her one click and she started with her usual purring rumble and I just let her idol. He said now this is a car and got out just to listen. Many stories like this and even more so with the older fellows. My point is. There isn't many of these around from 1965 to 1970 and only a select few can own them as they are being held and not distributed in any great numbers. The disparity in foreign countries is all wrong and the foreign collector and or enthusiasts knows it. So which would you buy? I am looking at a roughish 68 GT 350. My wife is looking at the new Mustang. I will win in the end and hopefully buy the GT 350 as I doubt there will be any depreciation and also doubt I will get the same driving pleasure from the new one as I would with the 68. These cars have now become art and have a cult following like no other. Time will tell as to pricing!