Join Shelby Forums Today

Jim Morrison's Shelby

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by CSX375, Jan 16, 2006.

1. mustangbilly

mustangbilly New Member

I have a VHS consert video of the Doors. It begins with Jim driving in a yellow 65 (I think) Mustang convertible.:)

2. jbsteven

jbsteven Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure there is nothing in the Doors movie with Jim doing donuts in the desert. there is a scene where he is a kid and sees the accident in the desert while in the back seat of his parents car. this is when Riders on the Storm plays.

3. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

I know I saw the video somewhere, maybe it was on the VH1 Doors documentary.

4. 5S284

5S284 Well-Known Member

A couple of things, I contacted Dave Matthews, the SAAC registrar for the 1967 Shelby Mustangs last year on this topic, just something I always wanted to know but never got around to asking. He feels the car was destroyed years ago. The serial number posted at the beginning of this thread I believe is proper. In The DOORS movie, not that I have watched in several years, I don't remember him with the car in the desert but there was a short scene with the car on a city street around the time time they were playing at the Wiskee a gogo, I remember from the interior shot, the hood was louvered, and then I thought they got into an accident in the car? Again it has been a long time since I watched it. I would surely think if this car survived somebody would have a little on it, its up there with Mc Queens car he used in Bullitt, at least we know one of the two cars used in that movie survivied .Lastly, I would enjoy seeing the movie that Jim made with the car, the one photo at the beginning of this thread, just doesn't seem right, it looks like a 1967 GT500 currently restored, with Morrison dubbed in the front. The tires look too modern, everything looks too fresh, they were never that nice when they were new, doubtful Morrison ever took that good of care of the car. It should still be wearing the Goodyear Speedway tires? The photo just does not look "vintage"to me. Hov

5. CSX375

CSX375 Well-Known Member

you're right 5s285, I didn't think of it at first, but the picture is a fake. The car is lit from the back left corner of the picture, while Jim is lit from behind the camera. Also the grain patterns don't match.

jim

6. 67GT500#2100

Attached Files:

7. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

I bought the DVD. I will post after receiving it a review! The Picture is a Dub as Morrison was heavier when he had the car as well. I read the Book "No One here get's out alive" in 1981 when the Big DOOR'S Revival occurred. great Marketing and all the record's were re released coincidentally when the Book came out. I remember reading with excitement that he had a 67 Shelby GT500 and wrecked it several times before really wrecking it for the last time. Morrison did not have the Star appeal in life that he has in death. therefore I do not think a Junkman would have kept his car for that reason all these years. it was probably stripped of any usable parts and scrapped when it was just a shell. McQueen's Bullit car was a widely seen and Known Movie Car, thrusting that vehicle's desiribility into the spot light immediately. that one is somewhere in the state of New Jersey where the owner is probably awaiting the Right Offer....$$$$$$$$

8. 67GT500#2100

I bought the movie. There are lots of scenes with the Shelby in it, including the one with him doing doughnuts in the desert sand. Very strange movie with little dialog. Near the end Jim says he killed the Shelby owner and took the car.

9. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

As far as who owned the car. There is a picture of the registration that was supposedly real in one of the SAAC publications several years ago. It was in his name, not a movie studio or anything.

10. 68GT500-Aussieland

68GT500-Aussieland Well-Known Member

Interesting - Jim Morrison's Shelby

Hi Everyone

Interesting read. Would be great to find out the puzzle.

Morrison's Lost Shelby

11. SuperCJcat

SuperCJcat Well-Known Member

Re: Interesting - Jim Morrison's Shelby

The VIN is known so it should be no problem IDing if its the car....sounds to me like he found it and owner aint selling

12. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Agreed. The VIN is well known. Sounds like he's trying to drum up some business for the shop.

13. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

I think if you search the forum, you might come up with the VIN, I have posted it here before....:guns:

14. Jimmy J1

Jimmy J1 Well-Known Member

According to The Shelby American #69 Jim Morrison owned a dark blue 1967 GT 500 #0939.

15. Dave Kelly

Dave Kelly Active Member

Whoa...what a coincidence. I have a dark Blue/parchment interior 67'GT-500 # 636. Marti report says it's one of 47 with that paint/trim combo. How many of these were -500's is unknown. Particuliarly coincidental is the fact my car was sold new in L.A. in early 68' and stayed in Socal even after I got it in 83'. We have never found the original bill of sale so we have no idea who the original owner was but the guy I bought it from lived in Sun Valley/San Fernando Valley area of L.A. when he bought it in '76. Was Morrison's Dark Blue/parchment also? Kinda scary....939....636 (939 upside down)....

16. SuperCJcat

SuperCJcat Well-Known Member

17. K.Wyman

K.Wyman Member

I believe three members of the original Doors band are still alive,was just wondering if they have ever commented on Jim's Shelby

18. Fast Fords

Fast Fords Well-Known Member

I have a '67 GT500 that is nightmist blue with parchment interior.It is car #910.I wonder if Shelby made similar cars/colours in batches as mine is pretty close to Morrison's #939.The '67 registrar told me that a total of 48 cars were this colour combination.There were 44 GT500's,of those 31 were 4 speed cars and the remaining 13 cars were automatics.Of the 4 GT350's that were this colour combo,only 1 was a 4 speed.

19. Dave Kelly

Dave Kelly Active Member

Yes...a pretty small group. Throw in the center lights and cars that remained in L.A. let alone California and that number is really small....far less that 31 cted above. If he lived in the Hollywood area then my identical car to his was about 20-30 miles away. Is your car a 4 speed with center lights?

20. Fast Fords

Fast Fords Well-Known Member

I purchased my car from an individual in Santa Monica,CA.It too had spent its entire life in California with the last 30 plus years sitting in a garage.My car has inboards but is one of the 13 cars that came with an automatic.