Join Shelby Forums Today

Keeping your Shelby GT500 Stock?

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by DS1516pb, May 2, 2010.

1. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

My 2007 Shelby GT500 is bone stock except for a set of $300 Weathertech Digital Floor liners for the front and rear to protect the carpet as the black carpet mats for the front and nothing in the rear I deemed inadequate for any purpose.

Everything else is stock and I am only replacing anything damaged with stock parts I.E. curb rashed front rims with brand new factory ones and air splitter with a brand new factory one.

Would you guys keep your Shelby stock and try to take good care of it and just enjoy it? Or would you start modifying it like the older mustangs were done. My feeling is this car really wasn't meant to be messed with it seems like if you change one thing you have to change a lot of things.

I also have an extended premicare warranty given to me free by Ford. Well I'm sure I paid for it one way or another but still. And I wasn't going to do anything that would void the warranty.

I thought about Ziebart protection on the paint and rustproofing and undercoating for protection and sound deadening. Also maybe the 3M clear bra on the front and doors (major chip areas).

Also a window tint to help keep out heat and protect the interior. Maybe a set of Alcoa's because they just look cool. But not lowering it.

Other than that I will just enjoy it as I have been.

What's anyone's thought?

Thanks, Dan.

2. inyadreems

inyadreems Member

I have a 2010 GT500 and here is what I have done so far:

Minor mods:
    AM/BAMA Tune
    JLT CF Intake
    Ford Racing Air filter
    JLT Strut Bar painted with stripes
    JLT Strut tower caps
    35% tinted windows
    LED Dome, reverse, license plate and trunk lights
    Cobra valve stem caps
    Custom center caps

Next, I have ordered the upper radiator shield, fuse box cover and SVT Coil covers, NXT bolt on hood struts and will have them painted to match the car.

Every part I change I save the original parts in the box of the new part. All of these parts are bolt on or removable and the car can be easily put back to stock.

3. Thepidler

Thepidler Member

Nice Dreems -

I've not started yet but ya can't really own one without moddin' it can you? I have never been able to own anything without moddin' it - ANYTHING. :cool:

4. inyadreems

inyadreems Member

Lol.........aint that the truth. I modded my company car.......lol....shhhhhh :eek:. Thinkin about a whipple for the lawn mower...........lol.

The car is fast stock, but I am proably going to go with a VMP tune. I have other mods planned too but nothin crazy.

I also did GT500 seat belt covers, shelby door pins to match the door handles, and a custom painted license plate frame to match the white stripes and grabber blue.

5. Thepidler

Thepidler Member

Wipple on the lawn mower - you made me spit Mt Dew all over my monitor!! :laf:

6. Poisnus

Poisnus Member

Well we purchased our '09 off the showroom floor at the beginning of the month, it had just a tad over 100 miles.

So far during this month of ownership I have added sequential tail lights, JLT brake duct bezels, relocated the deck lid Shelby emblem to the center, SCT with tunes by Lund, Ford Racing Intake, CJ 65mm throttle body, CJ 123mm MAF housing, Metco 2.6 pulley and idler, NGK plugs, KR axle back exhaust, KR strut bar, Shelby dash gauge package, Shelby billet shifter with white knob.

We are installing 3.73 gears tomorrow along with the SVT install kit and girdle.

About a hour ago I just ordered the Shelby colant tank kit and engine caps.

Of course all the stock parts are in a box :thumbsup:

James

7. Thepidler

Thepidler Member

Nice Poisnus - like your tag too...

I saw that your experience with changing the letters was quite a non-event? Think that's the norm? Sounds like it.

8. racin' randy

racin' randy Member

I am inclined to modify my GT500 Shelby as much as possible. For me, that makes it unique to me. I have added side window louvers, rear window louvers, side scoops, custom made hood with hood scoop (being made now), and when the warranty is up, I'll change out the super charger pully.

9. TaraFirma

TaraFirma Active Member

Like most GT500 owners, I bought mine to enjoy it. For me, that connot be done without a few mods. It's part of the hobby and it's in our blood. Don't know about the whipple on the mower, but I definetly love my electric start on my push mower.
    My 88GT gets the big mods. The GT500 will get the standard bolt ons with pulley tune and a set of lowering springs.

10. racin' randy

racin' randy Member

Don't exactly know what a whipple on a mower is, but I sure would like to see the car when you lower it.
    Racin' Randy

11. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

This ain't a whipple, but this lawnmower has a turbo.
    [​IMG]

12. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

My problem with my Shelby GT500 is well for one I know its under extended warranty and I don't want to mess that up but still I have a hard time even tinting the windows. I think of all the old Shelby's and how hard it is to find an original and realize it would be exactly the same way with these. I could be wrong. Seems like a mod on the car feels like a desecration of the spirit or something.

13. inyadreems

inyadreems Member

Every mod I do to the car can be undone and all the original parts are saved. I have tinted windows and the tint can be removed. I will not make any permanent mods or anything that requires drilling or cutting. If I get a part painted, I order another part from Ford to paint, not the original.

14. racin' randy

racin' randy Member

I believe in modificating the heck out of the car to make it totally my own. I agree to keep all the original stuff, so it can be put back to stock if need be.
    Here is what I have done.

20" American Racing Wheels - Bullit style mags.
    Side window louvers
    Rear window louvers
    Side Scoops
    New custom designed hood with hood scoop
    GT500 Engine cap
    Shelby GT500 valve coil covers
    Radiator Cover with custom painted Shelby Snakes
    Spare tire in trunk (had to cut the plastic rear panel (ok maybe not everything can be made stock again)
    Full sound proofing Dynamat (wouldn't want to tear that out)
    Looking for custom head rests
    Hood shocks

Other things I plan to do when the warranty is up;
    Dyno tune
    new super charger pully
    New engine tanks
    New inner air cooler for the super charger
    and probably more

I want to turn my car into a show car, one of a kind, thing

Racin' Randy

15. bigbudd

bigbudd Member

i don't know where to start so i will just say that i have a 2008 that i have not stopped modding since the day i bought it. it just keeps getting better.:dance:

16. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

The only reason I can think of other then warranty to not modify a late model Shelby is to preserve the collectible value of the car as original examples are prized more by collectors. I hate to break it to you but that will be far in the future if ever at all. In the mean time the cars will depreciate just like any other used car. They made too many late model Shelby's of to ever be very collectible. There were more GT500 Shelby's built in just 2007 then were ever built GT350 ,GT500 from 65-70 combined . Mod/personalize it because you like the car and not because it is collectible and fear you might hurt the value. Another sad realization is that after you install all the mods you put on the car for handling and performance you will only get back pennies on the dollar if anything when it comes to resale. They don't add value but may make a car more saleable when compared to a like car without the mods. The collectability thing is just hype that dealers today use to sell more new cars. Owners keep that late model collectible myth alive because of pride of ownership. Bottom line is forget about keeping it original because it will not matter much relatively speaking price wise. Do what makes you happy -original or not. Just my opinion based on many years of association with Shelby cars plus collecting them early and late model. Bob

17. bigbudd

bigbudd Member

thank you Bob. that was the greatest explanation of how to love your shelby. just do what makes you feel good!:dance:

18. JRMSR

JRMSR Well-Known Member

To fix the Ford F-Up's or not to fix that is the question! Well if your looking for an imvestment for later years and the grandious ideology of making your money back on it........................forget it! Ford already blew it out the window by producing to many. They're at 4800 and counting for 2011. Fixing the problems, like the clutch and pressure plate with an upgraded superior product, yes! Fixing the transmission syncro problems, yes! Upgrading the tires with ones that will actually work, yes! Upgrading the axle back or the entire restrictive exhaust and the same with the intake, yes! By the way you'll get better gas mileage too. Upgrading the Shaker to a 1000 or the better Shelby unit, yes! Better have the dealer check the lower control arms and ball joints too. Upgrade if necessary! Shifter upgrade, absolutely to the Shelby Unit not the FRP unit! Dead pedal for your left foot, yes! Harmonic Crank Balancer upgrade to the 08 unit or an aftermarket unit, yes! Fays2 Watts Link is an absolute must to keep the rearend in place for performance driving, so yes!

Have I left anything out gentleman? Probably but it's all a matter of choice. You could add a pulley upgrade to a 2.6, intake and tune if you want about 80-100hp without sacrificing reliability. You can even gain substantial improvements in handling with the several handling packages on the market, ie Shelby, FRP etc.

Remember you alone have to weigh your enjoyment factor to the pocket book pucker factor! Leave it stock, for what and for who??

It's never going to be a Barrett Jackson Auction Car no matter how much you spend on it or how clean you keep it. Use the damn car for what you bought it for, enjoyment and if a few dollars here and there make you smile more, so be it!:thumbsup:

Cheers

Jeffafa:lmao:

19. NastyGT

NastyGT Member

Yes everyone is correct in that Ford has made to many cars to make them a collectable one in the future. No you will never get the money back for mods done to the car. I agree that you should just enjoy the car as YOU would like it.

Something to consider, doing mods using SVT dealers and there packages are expensive but would make the number of cars with that mod fewer and could raise the value in the future. An example I know of would be the 68 Z28 had a dealer installed option of a cross ram intake (Two, 4 barrel carbs) I have only seen one done by the dealer and the value of that car is much higher than of a regular 68 Z28.

But I say enjoy the car in what ever form you like, it's a personal thing.

Be safe.

20. DK07gt500

DK07gt500 Member

I just bought an 07 GT500 a month ago. Tungsten Gray w/ silver stripes. Car only had 5500 miles on it. It's bone stock and like brand new!
    The 05 GT I traded in on it had bama tunes, an intake and boom tube axle back mufflers. I loved that car, but the GT500 is a whole different animal and I'm leaning towards keeping it stock and just enjoyng it as is.