Join Shelby Forums Today

Newbie shout out and a little CAI help please!

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by Iowajoe, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Iowajoe

Iowajoe Member

Hello to all,

I am new to the forum and a new Shelby GT 500 owner. I have followed the forum for some time, even before purchasing "my new" 2008 Shelby GT 500 earlier this summer. I must say that I certainly appreciate the sharing of information and knowledge and looking forward to learning more. I think that I am ready to add a cold air intake and this is where I'm asking for your opinions/recommendations.

With so many choices available is there any ONE that is better than the other? I was originally thinking the Ford Racing Package (CAI and Tuner) but the JLT and SCT tuners are also very appealing.

Also, I have seen the rear muffler deletes in the Shelby parts catalog, has anyone tried these? How do they sound, any performance benefit?

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.

R/S
    Iowajoe
    2008 Shelby GT 500

2. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

Welcome iowajoe and congrats on your new to you beast. If you call Ford performance at 18003673788 and give them your VIN and a credit card for $45.00 they will send you a certificate showing your build numbers and dates and for an extra ten they will throw in a window sticker. Have you found the false bottom in the cup holder yet? www.mgwltd.com has some nice touches for the inside especially that ugly plastic power cap on the dash. Sorry, cannot refer you on your mods,,,mine is stock and will stay that way. Good luck and never turn the traction control off in wet weather.:thumbsup:

rshelby likes this.
  3. JRMSR

JRMSR Well-Known Member

Ford has a good CAI but the C & L System with SCT 3 Tuner is the best choice. Remember you must do a tune with the CAI. Ford CAI and Tuners are very limited and not programable. You must also register with FORD Racing to get the Tuner and then your warranty will decrease to 12mo/12000 miles. I still can't figure this out since the 2010/11 FORD GT500's come with the FORD CAI and tune and has a 3yr/36000 mile warranty. Might be my mistake but this is what I've read and swayed me against purchasing it. Mind you it wasn't my first choice the C & L was.

rshelby likes this.
  4. Iowajoe

Iowajoe Member

Wylie, Thanks! I may check into the build sheet. I have the window sticker so I'm good there. I do love my beast! It is really still like new even as the second owner. It has only 2000 miles and the owners manual, floor mats, visors, and car cover where all still in plastic and it even still has the new car smell. :D I thought I wanted to keep mine all stock before making the purchase but I have decide to add the CAI for the additional HP. Thanks again.

Iowajoe
    2008 Shelby GT 500
    "Too much is just enough"

5. Iowajoe

Iowajoe Member

JRMSR, Thanks for your thoughts. I do like the Ford CAI, but I too thought that the Ford option seemed much more restrictive with the tuner just from the limited research that I have done thus far. I also thought that the warranty might be an issue. It seems that Ford will look for any excuse to void the warranty. Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts and I'll check out the C&L with the SCT 3 tuner.

6. robwidner

robwidner Well-Known Member

hey congrats on the shelby. i've looked at all of the cold air kits and i went with the steeda, i would say it and jlt are probably the two top performance wise. very happy with mine, i had a 2005 gt mustang and it had all steeda performance products, and they always delivered as advertised. you won't go wrong with either of those. good luck.

7. Iowajoe

Iowajoe Member

A little CAI/Tuner help please!

Robwidner,

Thanks for your thoughts on this topic. I still haven't made a decision but I am continuing to research my options. I have read that Steeda actually makes the Ford Racing CIA and I think that is the one that I have decided on. I like the idea of a dry filter over the others as I hear the MAF sensors don't respond well to excess oil and I also like the stock look over the others.

On another note, I am not impressed with the Ford Pro-Cal tuner. I hear/read a lot of good things about the top names SCT and Diablo. However, I am not looking to sacrifice drivability/dependabiltiy, and longevity to gain the extra 10-15 hp that those companies advertise over Fords more conservative tune. I have also read that some tuners run cars too lean or rich and disable O2 sensors for the added hp gains. What tuner do you use?

Anyone please feel free to chime in and share your thoughts.

Thx

8. Lifter583

Lifter583 Well-Known Member

Re: A little CAI/Tuner help please!

Dont overthink this too much...I have a stage 2 Brenspeed package on my 08 and with some other add-ons ...it rocks! Just give them a call get a CAI with their custom tunes...you wont be sorry...you could go all the way and change out the Eaton blower pulley and really open it up...