Join Shelby Forums Today

Questions about 1973 Mustang Radios

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by ORLMUST@aol.com, May 20, 2006.

1. Shelby Gang,

Anyone want to help with tackling these questions ?

Thanks from Pete Geisler
    Orlando Mustang

"
    I have a 73 mach 1 with a build sheet I found and the markings are as
    follows:

under the audio listing it has AM/FM ST with an A under it and then under
    TAPE SYSTEM
    it has a T.so I'm wondering was it a AM radio with 8 track or a AM/FM radio
    with 8 track.
    but as I'm reading my books it list only 3 options as AM radio, AM/FM radio
    with selector bar included under radio face and then AM-8-TRACK TAPE player.
    any info you can pass on would a big help.also one last question for you and
    that is : where can I find out how to read the build sheet and know what those
    codes mean, any books I can get to help me out?
    thanks for all your help you can give me"
    Jaro

2. Here's my take on the build sheet mystery. On our 1969 Shelby, which came with an AM radio, the build sheet reads as follows.
    Under radio, it has the initial A, which stands for AM. Under tape, there is no designation at all. I have a letter from Ford stating the Shelby came with an AM radio, so I am positive that's how it came from the factory.
    On our 1969 Mustang, which has an AM/FM stereo, under radio is the initial S, which likely stands for stereo.
    The designation, AM/FM/Stereo on your build sheet simply lists the options available and the initial under it shows which of these 3 options a particular car should have.
    I believe your build sheet could be diagnosed as A, which stands for AM, and the T stands for tape, 8 track. Don't think they could get an ST in the space provided, so the initial A and T told the line to put in an AM/8 track. You can get a letter from Ford Customer Service in Dearborn Michigan, which will give you a listing of how your vehicle was equipped when it came off the line.
    Off line, if you want to send me a copy of your build sheet, or just list the designations and the markings underneath, I can do my best to help you. Unfortunately, there are no books available, at least none I could find, that explains build sheet decoding.
    Hope this helps.
    Ron

----- Original Message -----
    To: ShelbyMustang (AT) carmemories (DOT) com
    Sent: Saturday, May 20, 2006 8:14 AM
    Subject: Questions about 1973 Mustang Radios

Shelby Gang,

Anyone want to help with tackling these questions ?

Thanks from Pete Geisler
    Orlando Mustang

"
    I have a 73 mach 1 with a build sheet I found and the markings are as follows:
    under the audio listing it has AM/FM ST with an A under it and then under TAPE SYSTEM
    it has a T.so I'm wondering was it a AM radio with 8 track or a AM/FM radio with 8 track.
    but as I'm reading my books it list only 3 options as AM radio, AM/FM radio with selector bar included under radio face and then AM-8-TRACK TAPE player. any info you can pass on would a big help.also one last question for you and that is : where can I find out how to read the build sheet and know what those codes mean, any books I can get to help me out?
    thanks for all your help you can give me"
    Jaro