Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: '66 GT-350 paint questions

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by speegle@pipeline.com, Dec 18, 2005.

1. A couple of additions/correction Please understand that the same finish can be called by different names in different parts of the country or even platers use different names

In many part of the country cad plating has been made illegal and most plater will substitute bright zinc in its place. This has a slightly nore silver finish where fresh cad is silver with a slight gold tint IMHO

Starting with Stan's excellent start

hood latch on hood and hook on pedestal-Phosphate & oil
    hood pin-Zinc Chromate - Di-chromate might be a bteer description
    hood hinges-Phosphate & oil
    Trunk catch & latch-Cad. plate
    Trunk hinges & spring-Body color - Under side of trunk and all retaining bolts
    Pass-thru door: Same as interior (black) on both sides.
    Door swing-out arm assy-Cad plated
    Trunk finish-same as exterior (do not paint top of gas tank, taillight housings, wires, gas fill tube or clamps - all installed after painting) can only think of a few cars that had splatter until the early 70's While we are at it on top of each side the area around the jig mounting holes would be bare- circular pattern approx 1/4" larger than the hole
    Trunk mat-Plaid rubber mat (not the cheap one w/fuzzy backside) Used on San Jose cars
    Interior panels, doors and dash-Same as interior (black). Semi-gloss shot thin enough not to reduce grain pattern found on many of the parts.

" My friend's car has a metal pipe about two inches long, with a hose running through a hole that evidently dumps water into the rocker panel where another opening lets it go to the ground. My car has just a simple hole in the bottom of the rain gutter--no pipes, no hoses. Are those pipes available, or do I have to jury-rig something?"

Believe there was a running chance though I can't produce a Ford document right this second to indicate when the change was made. The later units had a metal nipple (for lack of a better term) that allowed the water that got into the area behind the standard Mustang vents To this was attached a hose on each side held in place by a farily large wire spring clamp Sure this nipple rusted out in some parts of the country

Hope this helps a little

Jeff S