Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: 67 GT-350 fuel pump

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Shelby6t7@aol.com, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Stan:

I don't necessarily agree with your statement. I install only NOS or very
    good used parts on my car when the need arises and my car is a driver.
    Unfortunately as we all know, with the soaring prices of the cars so goes the NOS
    parts along with it. I know of people that have installed higher priced NOS
    parts than that fuel pump, on their non thoroughbred cars. Example: a few years
    back, someone on this list (who shall remain nameless) paid what would be
    considered a lot of money (more than the fuel pump) for an NOS 67 Shelby GT-500
    fan shroud, and installed it on his car. The reason it was so expensive, as
    many parts are today is because of it's rarity. Now don't get me wrong, I think
    it's a good thing, because it shows that he was willing to pay the
    exorbitant amount of money to make the car that mush more correct. So that is why
    people pay the kind of money that they do.

Kenny

2. STAN SIMM

STAN SIMM Guest

Kenny-That's what makes the World go round and that's what makes this hobby (or business for some) so great...and not so great. I, too, really like to keep my cars as authentic as possible and, after doing a total restoration and research of what is truly correct on a Hertz over ten years time, I can appreciate thoroughbred restorations and the time & money it takes to do it right. Case in point: I had 1,000 washers made just to get 12 correct ones for the valve covers.
    Now, when there's no substitute or good re-pop for the real deal, that's fine...Belly up to the bar and pay the price if you've found the part and have the scratch.
    Trouble is, now that so many high-rollers have gotten involved with buying cars and NOS parts for speculative purposes, it just seems absurd to me to commit a NOS part to a car that is not in a thoroughbred or trailered concours class. Once a part is put on a car, it is no longer new...it is used.
    Consider: Who, in their right mind would commit a set of Goodyear Bluestreaks to a '66 GT-350 driver? Or original Blue Dots on a '65 when there are perfectly good re-pops out there? Why use up a priceless commodity just to be correct when there are much better and safer tires out there for a fraction of the money? With the advent of higher quality repop parts, some of which are better than the originals, I can't, in all conscientiousness, justify using up a dwindling resource so casually. JMHO, mind you.
    Regards, Stan
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: SSIMM@triad.rr.com ; DMGT350@aol.com ; lwbarnett2@msn.com ; ShelbyMustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 8:14 PM
    Subject: Re: 67 GT-350 fuel pump

Stan:

I don't necessarily agree with your statement. I install only NOS or very good used parts on my car when the need arises and my car is a driver. Unfortunately as we all know, with the soaring prices of the cars so goes the NOS parts along with it. I know of people that have installed higher priced NOS parts than that fuel pump, on their non thoroughbred cars. Example: a few years back, someone on this list (who shall remain nameless) paid what would be considered a lot of money (more than the fuel pump) for an NOS 67 Shelby GT-500 fan shroud, and installed it on his car. The reason it was so expensive, as many parts are today is because of it's rarity. Now don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing, because it shows that he was willing to pay the exorbitant amount of money to make the car that mush more correct. So that is why people pay the kind of money that they do.

Kenny

3. Stan:
    Wish I had read your comments before I sent mine. You said it well.
    Ron
    To: Shelby6t7@aol.com ; DMGT350@aol.com ; lwbarnett2@msn.com ; ShelbyMustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 10:46 PM

Kenny-That's what makes the World go round and that's what makes this hobby (or business for some) so great...and not so great. I, too, really like to keep my cars as authentic as possible and, after doing a total restoration and research of what is truly correct on a Hertz over ten years time, I can appreciate thoroughbred restorations and the time & money it takes to do it right. Case in point: I had 1,000 washers made just to get 12 correct ones for the valve covers.
    Now, when there's no substitute or good re-pop for the real deal, that's fine...Belly up to the bar and pay the price if you've found the part and have the scratch.
    Trouble is, now that so many high-rollers have gotten involved with buying cars and NOS parts for speculative purposes, it just seems absurd to me to commit a NOS part to a car that is not in a thoroughbred or trailered concours class. Once a part is put on a car, it is no longer new...it is used.
    Consider: Who, in their right mind would commit a set of Goodyear Bluestreaks to a '66 GT-350 driver? Or original Blue Dots on a '65 when there are perfectly good re-pops out there? Why use up a priceless commodity just to be correct when there are much better and safer tires out there for a fraction of the money? With the advent of higher quality repop parts, some of which are better than the originals, I can't, in all conscientiousness, justify using up a dwindling resource so casually. JMHO, mind you.
    Regards, Stan
    To: SSIMM@triad.rr.com ; DMGT350@aol.com ; lwbarnett2@msn.com ; ShelbyMustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 8:14 PM

Stan:

I don't necessarily agree with your statement. I install only NOS or very good used parts on my car when the need arises and my car is a driver. Unfortunately as we all know, with the soaring prices of the cars so goes the NOS parts along with it. I know of people that have installed higher priced NOS parts than that fuel pump, on their non thoroughbred cars. Example: a few years back, someone on this list (who shall remain nameless) paid what would be considered a lot of money (more than the fuel pump) for an NOS 67 Shelby GT-500 fan shroud, and installed it on his car. The reason it was so expensive, as many parts are today is because of it's rarity. Now don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing, because it shows that he was willing to pay the exorbitant amount of money to make the car that mush more correct. So that is why people pay the kind of money that they do.

Kenny

4. NVSAAC

NVSAAC Guest

I was the "nameless" guy that paid $ 800.00 for an NOS 67 GT500 Fan Shroud in the Ford box. That would be reasonable today for the same part. I put it on for SAAC 27 and took it off for a nice used one that I had. I still have it in the box..Guess its used now? It rode around on the car for less than a tank of fuel.
    Good parts are pricey, but unless a good repo part is out there, do we have a choice? A nice restoration deserves good parts.

Thanks, Jim Elsmore

'66 Shelby GT350H #1882 - Hertz/Non Hertz Car!
    '66 Shelby GT350 #2306 - Vintage Racer
    '67 Shelby GT350 #2736 - In Restoration process

visit www.nvsaac.com
    Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 5:14 PM

Stan:

Kenny