Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: Batteries and the first week of regular use

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by GT350HZ@aol.com, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Thanks Bob,

I have AC and the Shelby was not ordered with a heavy duty battery. So I
    believe that the 24F would be the correct size. I will contact antique auto
    battery about the sealed batteries.

I drove the car to work four of the five days this week with only one minor
    problem.
    After regularly driving modern cars and an early car with a manual choke, it
    is easy to forget the nuiances of a late 60's automatic choke. The second
    day I drove to work, I didn't warm the car at all and just took off. I ended
    up stopping at a light about a mile and a half from my house. I went to
    accelerate and the car stalled, it didn't start back up after several attempts.
    I was almost laughing to myself knowing that the time would come when I do
    get stuck on the road with a dead Shelby. I did not expect it to be so soon!
    I ended up lifting the hood and checking the carb, the butterfly had not
    reset. I adjusted the butterfly and started the car right up and have not had a
    problem since. Heck, it was almost like I knew what I was doing. I put my
    Chilton manual in the trunk for future reference.
    Thanks to all that replied.
    Lee
    66 # 869
    69 # 2055

2. Camilla

Camilla Guest

Takes me at least 3 minutes to warm my car up before I back it out with the 428. I like the oil to get a bit warm and everything fuctioning at correct temps. Otherwise you ar right... they will stahl or get a bit tempermental.

Randall
    69 GT500 #2174
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: bgaines@kc.rr.com ; shelbymustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 5:44 PM
    Subject: Re: Batteries and the first week of regular use

Thanks Bob,
    I have AC and the Shelby was not ordered with a heavy duty battery. So I believe that the 24F would be the correct size. I will contact antique auto battery about the sealed batteries.
    I drove the car to work four of the five days this week with only one minor problem.
    After regularly driving modern cars and an early car with a manual choke, it is easy to forget the nuiances of a late 60's automatic choke. The second day I drove to work, I didn't warm the car at all and just took off. I ended up stopping at a light about a mile and a half from my house. I went to accelerate and the car stalled, it didn't start back up after several attempts.
    I was almost laughing to myself knowing that the time would come when I do get stuck on the road with a dead Shelby. I did not expect it to be so soon! I ended up lifting the hood and checking the carb, the butterfly had not reset. I adjusted the butterfly and started the car right up and have not had a problem since. Heck, it was almost like I knew what I was doing. I put my Chilton manual in the trunk for future reference.
    Thanks to all that replied.
    Lee
    66 # 869
    69 # 2055