Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: Deep pockets required

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Tom Kubler, May 26, 2005.

1. Tom Kubler

Tom Kubler Guest

I have an original on the '350 and an over-counter catalog sales wheel as well (for my '66 'vert). The wheels sold through the catalog from '67 on were identical to the 66-67 production wood wheels except they used a stainless snap-on surround bezel and rear shield versus the "production" wheel. The spokes, the manner of attaching the wood and sealing the back side is identical. '65-6 application wheels had no black glove at the intersection with the wood initially, but I have seen a few that do in the same manner as the wheels used on the '67 production cars. I suspect the non-gloved (spat) wheels came from an early or initial order of wheels and later wheels followed the manner of the moment-- with the spats. I agree with Jim Cowles that all '66 optional wood wheels were basically over-counter wheels, although I've never found anyone call them other than"optional wood wheel"s. The wheels as pictured in the '67 and later catalogs are what most folks call "over-counter".
    These over-counter wheels do not use the spats. Both wheels, despite having different housings to hold the button acrylic centers, used the same acrylic buttons. A couple of years ago some one in the Pacific Northwest was selling them in groups of two or three. Jim Elsmore bought at least one set-- I remember because I need a craze/crack free one for both my wheels. From photos, Maserattis used the same manufacturer and button assemblys. Nardi wheels seem to have near exact spec centers, but I do not know what differences there are.

If you're serious about making some spokes, I can dig out my 'vert's wheel to determine the exact engineering specifications for them. Contact me privately, and I couldn't get it out to you for a month or so.

Tom Kubler
    6S296,"Lesions"

RSANTER@aol.com wrote:
    anybody have one of these wheels they want to loan me for a bit. I can digitize the wheel and have the stainless spokes cut out CNC and make repo wheels