Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: Engine oil

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Guest, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

> I'll open this one. You are right about coking with Quaker State, yeech. I have used Texaco Havoline for years, it is what they used to call an Eastern oil. Western oils have a parafin base which causes the gunk you have experienced. I prefer 20W50 high detergent in a motor with some miles on it. A new motor would use a 10W30. Stay away from the new, thinner oils as the newer engines run tighter clearances on the bearings and would burn up with the heavier oils. The lighter oil would not sufficiently lubricate an early motor, even when new. On a rebuild, I change the oil and filter after the first 500 miles. We used the Texaco in the racing Shelby and all my street cars. As for the synthetics, why would you pay more than four times as much for oil if you still have to change it at the same intervals? A good grade of oil will not break down or get really dirty in 3,000 miles, unless you operate in severe conditions. We changed the oil in the race car after every two sessions (about 1 hour) and checked it for contaminants. On street cars, I change my oil every three months or 3,000 miles whichever comes first. I have never found any gunk in the motor or had an oil related engine failure. PS I prefer Motorcraft filters.

> From: "Ronald Robertson" <ronald.robertson@sympatico.ca>
    > Date: 2005/03/10 Thu PM 04:06:18 EST
    > To: "Shelby Mustang" <shelbymustang@carmemories.com>
    > Subject: Engine oil
    >
    > Let's start a new thread on the subject of engine oil.
    > There are probably as many opinions as there are Shelby/Mustang lovers, but let's talk about your experience and preferences.
    > What and who makes a good natural oil?
    > Quaker State appears to be a high ash oil (we just opened our 351W which was fed QS and it is full of guck)
    > Castrol GTX, which is recommended by a local restorer, is supposed to be low ash and therefore a cleaner oil.
    > I have also heard from another afficionado that Penzzoil (although owned by Quaker State) is a different formula, and is low ash.
    > What about synthetics? I have heard people rave and some curse them.
    > Let's get some discussion on this subject because the warm weather is coming (hopefully soon).
    > Ron
    >