Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: Garden of Speedin'

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Guest, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Way to go Mike, two great articles. Can't wait for Fontana
    >
    > From: MikeLDrew@aol.com
    > Date: 2005/06/29 Wed AM 12:37:56 EDT
    > To: shelbymustang@carmemories.com
    > Subject: Garden of Speedin'
    >
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > Well, after my automotive-themed road trip to France and rural England last
    > week, I was pretty tuckered out. But as luck would have it, there was another
    > event that was literally propped up right in front of me, so there was no way
    > I could possibly choose to miss it. I’m talking, of course, about the
    > legendary Goodwood Festival of Speed.
    >
    > Originally scheduled to take place in July, the event was moved to the
    > weekend immediately following Le Mans, making it especially convenient for me to
    > attend.
    >
    > My ‘home’ in England is Geoff Peters’ house in Surrey, which is only about a
    > 40 minute drive north of Goodwood. Geoff was planning on attending and also
    > purchasing tickets for clients as a gesture of corporate hospitality, and I
    > knew several other friends were planning on going as well. The event lasts three
    > days, but most people were choosing to go but a single day--other
    > commitments, etc.
    >
    > What is the Goodwood Festival of Speed? Well, there’s this rather well-off
    > fellow named Lord March, who has a hunk of land that’s something like 1600
    > acres, complete with a rather big house. And he’s a serious car guy. His
    > property has a long, winding driveway that passes in between huge trees and stone
    > walls. A dozen years or so ago, he got the idea that it might be nice to have a
    > little car and motorcycle show on his property, and maybe run some of the cars
    > up his driveway.
    >
    > He decided to call it a Festival of Speed, for it was intended to celebrate
    > speed in all its forms. It has since grown to be the single largest motoring
    > event in England--bigger by far than the British F-1 Grand Prix.
    >
    > On Friday morning I got up and zoomed down the A-3, soon following the signs
    > that led onto the little roads. His estate is very much in the countryside,
    > and thus there are dozens of small roads that lead to it from all sides, so the
    > directions were kind of confusing at first--it was not unusual to come to an
    > intersection and find two signs: Festival of Speed, this way, and Festival of
    > Speed, that way. In fact, both ways led there ultimately.
    >
    > Unlike the Goodwood Revival, which attempts to capture the flavor of an
    > old-time event by replicating history with period costume and historic parking lots
    > for spectators, the Festival of Speed makes no such efforts, and thus all
    > spectator cars, be they lowly shopping cars or high-priced exotics, are parked
    > together in huge grass fields surrounding the event on all sides.
    >
    > After trooping to the entrance, I was treated to the sound of freedom--jet
    > noise! An RAF Tornado zoomed low overhead (perhaps 200-300 feet) at high speed
    > before pulling up into a slow roll. It then performed an aerial demonstration
    > lasting some ten minutes or so, making the long walk into the event itself
    > quite enjoyable.
    >
    > As he zoomed off over the horizon, my first stop was the Cathedral Paddock.
    > This secondary paddock was used to house sports and sports racing cars, while
    > the main paddock was nominally reserved for Grand Prix cars and motorcycles
    > (although there were a few sports cars in the latter one).
    >
    > Virtually the entire history of the sports car was laid bare before me, with
    > representative examples from virtually every facet of the sport, from the dawn
    > of the automotive age. In fact, the earliest car present, and one that would
    > in fact make competitive demonstration runs up the hill, was an 1899 Panhard
    > et Levassor 16hp Paris-Bordeaux race car!
    >
    > There were early chain-driven Grand Prix cars, land speed record cars, sports
    > cars, NASCAR racers, Trans Am cars, and on and on. There was a strong
    > contingent from France with a group of 1970’s Matras that raced at Le Mans, and had
    > the most beautiful-sounding V-12 engines. The yellow JCB GT40 Mk I was there,
    > along with a genuine Shelby 427 S/C Cobra, CSX 3032 driven by Bill Murray,
    > one of the principals of the Shelby museum in Colorado.
    >
    > I wandered through the paddock and out the other side. In front of me was a
    > fenced-off area filled with spectacular road and racing cars. This was the
    > Cartier Style et Luxe (Style and Luxury) display. This year there were several
    > themes featured, among them a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the
    > small-block Chevrolet V-8, and a celebration of the Etceterinis, the small Italian
    > marques that sprang up in the ‘50s and ‘60s with a variety of delightful
    > sports cars.
    >
    > Imagine my surprise at finding a spectacular white/blue De Tomaso Vallelunga
    > in this mix! Not only that, it was one of the three prototype aluminum-bodied
    > coupes built by Fissore (the remaining 50-odd cars wore fiberglass bodies
    > built by Ghia). The car is owned by Peter Rae, who has a tidy little car
    > collection of some 40-odd cars, and in his spare time owns the BAR Formula One team!
    >
    > Alongside the Cartier exhibit was a collection of cars for the
    > kids--full-size replicas of the Wacky Racers, from the long-running Hannah-Barbera cartoons,
    > complete with appropriately costumed drivers--Penelope Pitstop, etc.
    >
    > Continuing around the corner to the front side of Goodwood House, I was
    > knocked out by a stunning display. Each year the event has a featured marque, and
    > a huge sculpture is erected on the lawn in front of the house. This year was
    > celebrating 40 years of Honda’s racing success, and six original Honda or
    > Honda-powered F-1 racers were suspended on giant teeter-totters high above the
    > ground. Each had a rotating counterweight located underneath the car, and as the
    > weight revolved, each car would bob up and down five or six feet, while
    > flashing lights marked the opposite end of the teeter-totter. Quite a striking and
    > quietly relaxing thing to contemplate.
    >
    > This display was ringed by a collection of historic Honda motorcycles, with
    > perhaps 50 significant examples displaying the company’s production history.
    >
    > This whole time, I could hear the sound of vehicles racing up the hill, so
    > soon I left to pursue a suitable vantage point. Avoiding the crowds near the
    > bottom of the hill, I elected to hike towards the top, and soon found myself in
    > a position close to the course.
    >
    > The driveway is just that, a driveway, and thus it’s almost impossibly narrow
    > for any sort of serious motorsport activity. It was lined with a wall of hay
    > bales, but as the trees encroached fairly tightly against the road in some
    > places, runoff room was reduced to zero.
    >
    > Historic motorcycles, almost 50 of them, were blatting up the hill, roughly
    > in chronological order, starting with bikes from the 1910s and 20s, and going
    > all the way through the mid ‘90s. The later bikes included competition bikes
    > which were being ridden by their period champions, including Freddie Spencer
    > and Mick Doohan aboard full-on Grand Prix bikes.
    >
    > New this year was a separate Forest Rally stage, celebrating the World Rally
    > Championship. At the top of the hill was a separate paddock filled with about
    > 50 historic rally cars, including several of the awesome Group B cars that
    > had upwards of 800 horsepower! A single dirt track had been cut through the
    > forest, and as pavement machines would race up the driveway, just a few feet away
    > these rally machines would blast past in the dirt. Wonderful!
    >
    > A Paris/Dakar rally team was demonstrating their vehicles and offering rides,
    > including rides in their awesome 4x4 support truck on a special course that
    > featured bumps and jumps.
    >
    > As I walked down to the bottom of the hill, I found myself in a huge arcade
    > of tents filled with vendors selling all sorts of automobilia, including books,
    > models, signs, parts, tools, etc. etc. etc. Most of the major vehicle
    > manufactures had large, elaborate pavilions set up, with their latest wares on
    > display, and flashy videos showing them being driven to the limit.
    >
    > A large expanse of grass was ringed with luxury four-door cars, in a special
    > display celebrating post-war luxury four-door cars. Among them was to be a De
    > Tomaso Deauville, but sadly the paint shop butchered its paint job, and thus
    > it had to be withdrawn at the last moment.
    >
    > The weather had been hot and sunny, and with my memories of Le Mans fresh in
    > my mind, I had worn shorts and a T-shirt. But by mid-afternoon the skies had
    > clouded up, and soon a torrential downpour and lightning storm erupted! This
    > didn’t prevent any of the participants from running up the hill however, and
    > thus I stood out in the rain and got soaked to the bone while enjoying the
    > sight of these vintage cars splashing up the hill.
    >
    > At the end of the day, I was standing in the Cathedral Paddock talking with
    > the owner of the 427 Cobra; just beyond us was the sole Scarab mid-engined
    > single seat race car. The owner of that car was talking with somebody, and I
    > heard him introduce himself and say, “My name is Bill Cotter.”
    >
    > Bill Cotter??? I interrupted and said, “Hey, Bill! I’m Mike Drew!” We both
    > busted out laughing and shook hands. For Bill Cotter is (or rather, was) the
    > owner of the Candy Gr4 race Pantera, and he and I had been corresponding via
    > e-mail for almost a year, as I helped to broker its sale to a buyer in
    > Belgium. For all our back-and-forthing via e-mail, we’d never actually met. So that
    > led to a nice 45-minute conversation about his Pantera (which is on its way
    > to Belgium now), and his unique Scarab, and his other vintage race Ferraris,
    > etc. etc. What a small world!
    >
    > As usual, I elected to remain behind for a couple of hours after the event
    > ended, to avoid sitting in traffic. The rain had stopped and thankfully it
    > wasn’t too cold, so I had almost dried out by the time I got to my car, where I
    > was able to put on dry clothes for the drive home.
    >
    > The next morning I filled up the gas tank again (it cost me about $50-60 in
    > gas each day to make the drive down and back) and then scooted back down to
    > Goodwood. Thankfully the skies had cleared, and we enjoyed excellent weather for
    > the remainder of the weekend.
    >
    > On the first day I had missed the F-1 paddock which was actually quite a bit
    > larger than the sports car paddock. It featured historic and modern Grand
    > Prix and open wheel race cars, as well as a whole slew of motorcycles.
    >
    > The Festival of Speed is unique in that the major F-1 racing teams all come
    > together in a non-competitive way, and hang out together, showing off their
    > cars to an admiring public. Current and former F-1 drivers then demonstrate them
    > on the hill, normally forgoing a top speed run in lieu of hooliganistic
    > antics such as burnouts, donuts and even wheelies!
    >
    > The F-1 teams also set up tents and have backup cars on display, and the
    > drivers meet with the public and sign autographs. It was almost impossible to see
    > into these tents due to the throngs of fans with programs, hats and pens in
    > their hands, eagerly waiting to meet their heroes.
    >
    > Believe me, the sound of the Renault F-1 car bouncing off its rev limiter
    > while the current points champion stands on the brakes and performs a smoky
    > burnout is something to behold! Geoff Peters and I sat in the grandstands
    > immediately adjacent to the starting line and watched the F-1 cars launch up the hill;
    > truly amazing.
    >
    > While sitting there, we met up with Phil Stebbings, founder and club
    > secretary for the De Tomaso Driver’s Club of the United Kingdom. We walked back to
    > the Cartier display to admire the Vallelunga, when suddenly Gavin Hutton (who
    > owns two GT5-S Panteras and a Pantera Si) walked up, accompanied by Franz Krump
    > of Austria (who has a Pantera Si and a Guara). We were having a nice little
    > reunion when I spotted John Braithwaite, who had driven his beautiful Mangusta
    > to the International De Tomaso meeting the summer before. As we were all
    > laughing at the coincidence, somebody tapped my shoulder, and there was Gabby
    > Eggimann from Zurich, who along with Rene Killer was also at that meeting in their
    > yellow Vallelunga. So suddenly it was a reunion, with owners from four
    > countries represented! We all laughed at the coincidence, and then received a
    > guided tour of the Vallelunga from the fellow who had restored it.
    >
    > Phil managed to borrow the VIP passes from the Vallelunga’s steward, and he
    > and I waltzed into the Cartier hospitality area and totally chowed on the
    > outstanding buffet therein. Inside this area were a few cars that were so special
    > they were being restricted from public viewing, including a 1939 Bugatti Type
    > 57S Atlantique, one of three made, and virtually priceless.
    >
    > Appetites sated, we returned to the show and then split up and went our
    > separate ways.
    >
    > One of the really great things about this event is that celebrity drivers are
    > given the opportunity to sample historic cars. Damon Hill got to drive a
    > single-seat race car that had been designed and built (but never raced) by his
    > late father. Jenson Button drove an older Formula car, and so on and so forth.
    > They were obviously having a lot of fun!
    >
    > I spent most of the third day by myself, looking for things I had missed the
    > previous two days. One of the most amazing cars present was BABS, a
    > land-speed-record car from the 30’s, powered by a 27-liter V-12 aero engine. This
    > monster is driven by two chains; during a record attempt on Pendine Beach, one of
    > the chains had broken, causing the car to flip and killing its builder/driver.
    > His family had a pit dug and the car was buried on the spot. 42 years
    > later, it was unearthed by a team of archeologists wondering if there would be
    > anything left; surprisingly the car was almost completely intact, and while the
    > aluminum bits had suffered corrosion, there was no rust at all. So it was
    > relatively straightforward to restore it and now it is running again.
    >
    > The thing is, this car is absolutely lethal--so much so, in fact, that the
    > owner/driver dons a bulletproof vest before he starts it up!!! And the sound
    > that a 27-liter V-12 makes with exhaust pipes that are only four inches long is
    > ear-splitting! It was fun to watch the car sitting and idling, as all the
    > valvetrain is exposed, so you can watch the valves opening and closing as it
    > huffs and chuffs and spits oil and smoke and drips water and whatnot.
    >
    > Hidden out of sight behind Goodwood House was the supercar paddock. Here
    > were gathered about 50 brand new supercars, many of which are familiar to
    > Americans, but others the likes of which we’ve never seen. England has a healthy
    > bespoke car industry, and if you have a couple of hundred thousand dollars, there
    > are any number of manufacturers willing to put you behind the wheel of their
    > latest 200-mph missile. Among the Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Nobles, Porsches,
    > Maseratis, Aston Martins, Ascaris, etc. etc. the Roush Mustang GT seemed oddly
    > out of place. The Ford GT alongside fit right in though.
    >
    > These cars were demonstrated on the hill, and the only incident of the event
    > took place when a fellow behind the wheel of a brand-new Jaguar prototype lost
    > it in a big way and comprehensively demolished a wall of hay bales,
    > presumably doing extensive damage to the car, and his career as well!
    >
    > Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason (who has a terrific car collection of his own,
    > and was running a Ferrari 512BBLM racer) was allowed to drive the Pininfarina
    > Maserati Birdcage 75 concept car, which was
    >
    > I spent the day moving from one place to another, spending a few minutes in
    > the paddocks, then watching the action on the hill, then going through the
    > shops, then visiting the Cartier stand, and so on and so forth. I got to see
    > Derek Bell as he literally leapt out of some car, and ran through the crowd, to
    > then hop into Ayrton Senna’s McLaren (into which he barely fit) to make another
    > run up the hill. Brian Redmon was driving the Ferrari 312PB that he raced
    > extensively in 1972, and Stirling Moss even drove old number 722, the Mercedes
    > 300 SLR in which he and Denis Jenkinson made their awesome run to win the 1955
    > Mille Miglia.
    >
    > Mid-afternoon I linked up with Colin Bradshaw, who I’d seen only briefly at
    > Le Mans the week prior, and with his wife Kim hiked up to the rally paddock,
    > where we bumped into DTDCUK president Ric Lee and his wife. The Bradshaws and I
    > spent the rest of the afternoon together, and were amazed to see the last
    > aerial demonstration--a South African Airways 747 put on an air show right
    > overhead! Now, I’ve been to many airshows, but I’ve never seen a 747 perform before!
    >
    > It was with a sense of regret that I finally pulled myself away around 7:30
    > p.m. on Sunday. This was my first time going to the Festival of Speed, and I
    > found that it completely lived up to its billing. From the cars to the
    > motorcycles to the planes to the exhibits to the aerial demonstrations to the star
    > drivers to the manufacturing tents to the F1 exhibits and on and on and on,
    > there was something new and different to see every time you turned around.
    >
    > Although I suffered numerous digital camera misfires, I did managed to get
    > some good shots (and a few truly great ones, blind squirrels and nuts and so
    > forth), some of which can be found here:
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/mikeldrew/festivalofspeed.jpg
    >
    > I composed this while sitting in the first class section of a 777 flying to
    > Chicago; by the time you read this I will actually be (gasp) at my own home for
    > a change!
    >
    > Ah, but how long do you think I can last before my wanderlust strikes and I
    > feel compelled to take another automotive-related vacation? Not long, as it
    > turns out!
    >
    > I'm doing laundry and going through the mail now; tomorrow I'll be packing my
    > bags and hitting the road yet again, bound for the SAAC convention at
    > Fontana. Look for me working the hot pits at the track; I'll be easily recognizable
    > wearing my totally goofy-looking Oakley Eyeshade sunglasses, circa 1988 (they
    > look like ski goggles!)
    >
    > Mike
    >