Join Shelby Forums Today

Re:My first Shelby recollection (and more)-long

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by STAN SIMM, Feb 14, 2005.

1. STAN SIMM

STAN SIMM Guest

Kick my butt story #1: Just got out of the Navy in May of '66 and went to work for a little IC co. by the name of Texas Instruments down in Big D. Promised myself a Porsche as soon as I got a good job, so sure enough, I spend $5 grand on a little 912 Porsche, while downtown at Hull-Dobbs Ford, they had three '66 GT-350's sitting on the showroom floor for around $4K and change...Even tho I had been out to the Green Valley racetrack and saw what those awesome machines could do!
    (By the way, one morning, I opened up the paper and Neiman-Marcus was advertising a brand-new Ford GT-40 for $25,000! At that time $25K could buy you a very nice 3 br,2-1/2 bath home in a desireable section of Dallas-I still have the ad!)

Kick my butt story #2: 1976 in the paddock at the 24 hours of Daytona, there's a nice little red w/black leather 289 Cobra for sale. $25K. Nah...I'm into BMWs now.

Kick my butt story #3: Fast forward to about 1980 in Winston-Salem, NC now. Still haven't been bitten by the Snake yet. Driving BMWs and having fun. Go over to a guy's house who traded in various sports cars with a friend who wanted to look at a Porsche. There, over in the corner, with flat tires and looking very tired was a '65 GT-350. Just out of curiousity, I asked what he wanted for the old beast. $8,000 was the answer. Nah, I'd have to sell something to make room in the garage.

Finally, my wife and I are on our way back from a BMW CCA OKTOBERFEST at Watkins Glen back in the mid-Eighties and we stop to spend the night in Williamsport, PA. We go out to eat at a nice little restaurant and afterwards, we're walking back to the car but what's parked next to us but a beautiful red '66 GT-350...Boinng! Something just snapped in my brain. I was a gonner from then on.

Regards, Stan
    5S071
    6S1467
    '95 Cobra R
    and a few "furrin" cars