Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: My Shelby story

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by RSANTER@aol.com, Feb 21, 2005.

1. a mustang is a good starter car to send someone down the road to auto-mania.
    My first car was a 66mustang conv GT and I am happy to say I still have it.
    when I got it, it was well used and abused, so I continued with the
    tradition and did some street racing mods including a roll bar and proceeded to race
    it. at some point I could do no more as I was unwilling to butcher the car so
    I had to go another direction. the car got slammed to the ground and became a
    road racer and I proceeded to use the car in autocrossing. the car has been
    returned to a more stock form but will never go to fully stock.
    over the years I was never willing to let go of the car because I remember
    hearing from people how they wish they had had their old cars back, so I took
    the direct approach and decided that I would never get rid of mine. just
    think, if by dad had his old cars he would be a millionaire now. he had some
    terrible cars like a 409 impalla and covair spider conv and a couple of the old
    customs or lead sleds and a few others. of course he still had the 69 mustang
    conv.

So what was everyone's first car/highschool car? And do you still have it?

bob

2. STAN SIMM

STAN SIMM Guest

Bob & all....
    Just have to respond to your query about what was our first car. Well, don't everyone laugh but mine was a '51 Willys Jeepster, red w/a black top. Cost: $325 in 1956. Fortunately, it was an in-line 6 cyl. and a great teen-ager-type car. Most of the girls' moms thought that it and I were too unsafe to be caught near! From all I can gather, if I still had it and it were in good shape, it would be worth about $15K.
    Then came a '53 Ford Mainliner (seafoam green-ugh!) w/ a flathead V-8, then (hold on to your chairs, now) a '55 Chevy BelAir conv. V-8 w/Power Pack, red & white. Now, that would have been a keeper! They're bringing $65K on up, depending on cond.
    Next, a '57 T-Bird...It looked great but not one of my favorites. Terrible handling and no top-end. Corvettes could have it for lunch any day. Then came a '57 Olds Super '88 Holiday 4 door hardtop...Gorgeous car in two-tone grey w/dark grey and red interior. It was fast and fun for double-dating. One afternoon, I almost met my Maker. Driving alone, I rounded a curve at about 60 mph just as a p/u truck was entering the road from the left. I turned to the left to avoid it and drifted into gravel, hitting the truck in the rear and then they tell me I flipped three complete revolutions and landed right side up. The roof was completely flat and I was found in the back seat with just a few cuts, bruises and a concussion. The car was a total. There were 3 men riding in the bed of the truck and all were thrown out but unhurt. One slid down the road backwards and lost his pants in the process but his butt came out unscathed!
    There are many more cars and plenty of tales (I'm really lucky to be alive) but that will do for now.
    Regards, Stan
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: dennis@carmemories.com ; ShelbyMustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 10:04 AM
    Subject: Re: My Shelby story

a mustang is a good starter car to send someone down the road to auto-mania.
    My first car was a 66mustang conv GT and I am happy to say I still have it.
    when I got it, it was well used and abused, so I continued with the tradition and did some street racing mods including a roll bar and proceeded to race it. at some point I could do no more as I was unwilling to butcher the car so I had to go another direction. the car got slammed to the ground and became a road racer and I proceeded to use the car in autocrossing. the car has been returned to a more stock form but will never go to fully stock.
    over the years I was never willing to let go of the car because I remember hearing from people how they wish they had had their old cars back, so I took the direct approach and decided that I would never get rid of mine. just think, if by dad had his old cars he would be a millionaire now. he had some terrible cars like a 409 impalla and covair spider conv and a couple of the old customs or lead sleds and a few others. of course he still had the 69 mustang conv.

So what was everyone's first car/highschool car? And do you still have it?

bob

3. Jeff Fox

Jeff Fox Guest

67 Gas Cap Removal

Does anyone have any advice / tricks on how to remove the main pop open gas cap body from the tail light panel on a 67?

I took the 2 small screws out of the hinged part that folds down (the part with the emblem) for easier access. I removed the 4 screws that hold the main gas cap body to the tail light panel. The 5th attachment is the stud with the nut on the back side. The nut is off. When I try to pull the gas cap body out the stud on the back side seems to be hanging up. I get right to the end of the stud where it's almost flush and can't quite get it out. There is a little room around the fiberglass panel and bumper so that does not seem to be the problem. The filler neck seems to slide back through the hole enough that I don't think it's hanging things up. I'm just scratching my head because I did not think this would be that hard.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff