Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: New Shelby Mustangs

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Cevon Mclean, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Cevon Mclean

Cevon Mclean Guest

WOW,
    Now thats a Mustang!...Hope Shelby can keep the cost under
    control as I know the dealers markup WONT!....*URG*...
    ok, so maybe I wont order the Z06....hehehe...
    Cevon...

To: <shelbymustang@carmemories.com>
    Subject: Re: New Shelby Mustangs
    Date sent: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:20:48 -0800

MessageOK Guys are you sitting down for this one....In my new Mar. Motor Trend there is an article on the new Shelby Mustang Cobra and get a load of this...Under the hood: The GT's super-charged aluminum 5.4 liter kicking out 550 Hp. Weight: 3468 ... 1/4 mile in the high 11's...0-60 in the
    sub 4's......Will not have IRS but will have a stiffened high performance live axle with coil springs and an anti roll bar.....It will replace the SVT Cobra......Projected show-room date 2007. Price..Undetermined. Be still my beating heart. John #2472
    To: shelbymustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:28 PM
    Subject: New Shelby Mustangs

Gang,

I'm really going to be disappointed if Ford releases the Shelby Mustang as a hyper expensive limited production model, and then I will continue to avoid Ford showrooms as I've done for 35 years. This was going to get me back in, no doubt about it, and clearly as a ready buyer.

There is a strong probability that if they followed the original Shelby Mustang concept that they would succeed monstrously. That concept included moderation in all things...the performance of the '60's GT350's & 500's was moderately better than what you could spec in a regular Mustang..the
    price was moderately higher...the production quantities were moderate, in the few thousand units/year range. The whole thing made sense and worked. I'm betting that if they intro'd Shelby Mustangs at a price, like before, that is ~25% higher than the basic Mustang GT, then they'd sell more than
    Shelby did back in the day. $40k for a new Shelby Mustang? I'll be waiting for the dealership to open on the day they do that so I can be first in line to order one...or two. THOUSANDS like me will do the same. Is there the slightest doubt?

As I've mentioned here before, and it I know it sounds like a dream, Ford could nostalgically dup
    licate much of the reality from the '60's if they really wanted to play this theme that works so we
    ll with us boomers. They could do the moderation thing described above, roll out both models (GT35
    0 & 500) with the expected power differences, make a Hertz version (I'd never rent a car from ANY o
    ther company...and when I'm there even now I always ask for a GT350 just to see what kind of reacti
    on I get), even duplicate the years of rollout, ie, add 40 yrs for 2005 & '06 GT350's, 2007 & '08 t
    o bow the GT500's, etc. How about some of the original colors? Make mine Nightmist Blue please.
    Striping options, wheels...the whole thing would work so incredibly well that it would be an absolu
    te overnite sensation and would last for YEARS. (Harley-D has stayed alive, no, PROSPERED doing th
    is, and Ford well knows it.)

But I doubt that anyone at Ford is listening to the rants and fantasies of a bunch of senior citi
    zen car guys on the carmemories forum. Sigh...it doesn't hurt to dream...

I wish. I fantasize. Most of all, I just Hope. I want to do the Shelby thing again, the whole
    shebang, much like I did when I was 18 only with my wife & kids this time. Ford could transform th
    e Shelby phenomenon into a multigenerational legacy unlike any other that's ever existed.

Roger H
    Long Beach, WA
    '67 GT500 one owner.
    ===================
    It's from Roger and Jane!