Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: New thread: Slick 50

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Robert Gaines, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Back in 93 I had a Cobra mustang that I added a procharger supercharger
    to which ran a little warm. After running it a couple months I added
    the slick 50 to it and it ran 15 degrees cooler.I don't believe all of
    the wild mfg. claims but it must be more slippery then oil. I never
    tried the synthetic oils in that car and wonder if they would have done
    the same thing. I use the synthetics in the supercharged cars I have had
    since then with similar results. I haven't used slick 50 since that
    first 93 car. Bob G.
    On Thursday, March 17, 2005, at 09:05 AM, RSANTER@aol.com wrote:

> back when I was in colledge, we did a test on slick 50
    > we dyno tested an engine for baseline and then we added slick50 ( we
    > added more then the recomended amount) and the engine picked up a few
    > HP.
    > so at least the product is slippier than oil
    >  
    > bob

2. Colin Comer

Colin Comer Guest

I recall the Slick 50 studies that showed most (if not all) of the Teflon particulate in Slick 50 not making it past the oil filter. Also recall the same debates re. how it was impossible for any PTFE additive to actually bond to cylinder walls and other engine parts that were already impregnated (contaminated?) by motor oil, as well as not being the proper temperature, etc. that PTFE needs to bond. And the whole sales pitch to Slick 50 was that it prevented wear on start up because of this great layer of PTFE it would coat your engine with. In my experience, the best way to prevent dry start wear is to install an Accusump or other type of pre-lube device that builds oil pressure before you crank the motor.

IMHO, all of these "New Piston in a Can" type of additives are pretty useless if you are using a good oil and/or have a mechanically sound engine. Remember the additive that used "CLA" - copper, lead, and aluminum? It was supposed to fill defects in bearings and cylinder walls! I actually used it once in a car that was on its last legs. I used the 8 cylinder sized can in a 6 cylinder car , but when we tore the motor down there was this huge lump of "CLA" in the pan. Funny stuff.

The only additive I like for old cars not using synthetic is Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I have had good results , and can say it does what it is supposed to do. In engines that are recently rebuilt or more modern , synthetics seem to work just great on their own.

Colin
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: RSANTER@aol.com
    Cc: ronald.robertson@sympatico.ca ; APPTELINC@aol.com ; shelbymustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 10:21 AM
    Subject: Re: New thread: Slick 50

Back in 93 I had a Cobra mustang that I added a procharger supercharger to which ran a little warm. After running it a couple months I added the slick 50 to it and it ran 15 degrees cooler.I don't believe all of the wild mfg. claims but it must be more slippery then oil. I never tried the synthetic oils in that car and wonder if they would have done the same thing. I use the synthetics in the supercharged cars I have had since then with similar results. I haven't used slick 50 since that first 93 car. Bob G.

back when I was in colledge, we did a test on slick 50
    we dyno tested an engine for baseline and then we added slick50 ( we added more then the recomended amount) and the engine picked up a few HP.
    so at least the product is slippier than oil

bob

_____________________________________________________ This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm

3. Colin and all:
    There is one additive that has been recommended in some automotive journals that has been around for years and is supposed to work. It is called MolySlip. It is a molybdenum di-sulphide compound that is supposed to be slipprier than snot on a doorknob. But considering the zillions of $$$ that oil companies spend on research to get "just the right additives" in their oil, I really question whether any other additive is really required. Now in an older, high mileage engine, something like Lucas might just work. Slick 50 and others of that ilk are, as someone has already said, "SNAKE OIL."
    And isn't Slick 50 a Quaker State product, the oil that no one on this list liked? Great advertisement.
    In short, why spend the money on snake oil. Much better to bid on that $2500 Nigerian owned Shelby convertible.
    Have a great St. Patrick's day.
    Ron
    To: Shelby List
    Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 11:59 AM

I recall the Slick 50 studies that showed most (if not all) of the Teflon particulate in Slick 50 not making it past the oil filter. Also recall the same debates re. how it was impossible for any PTFE additive to actually bond to cylinder walls and other engine parts that were already impregnated (contaminated?) by motor oil, as well as not being the proper temperature, etc. that PTFE needs to bond. And the whole sales pitch to Slick 50 was that it prevented wear on start up because of this great layer of PTFE it would coat your engine with. In my experience, the best way to prevent dry start wear is to install an Accusump or other type of pre-lube device that builds oil pressure before you crank the motor.

IMHO, all of these "New Piston in a Can" type of additives are pretty useless if you are using a good oil and/or have a mechanically sound engine. Remember the additive that used "CLA" - copper, lead, and aluminum? It was supposed to fill defects in bearings and cylinder walls! I actually used it once in a car that was on its last legs. I used the 8 cylinder sized can in a 6 cylinder car , but when we tore the motor down there was this huge lump of "CLA" in the pan. Funny stuff.

The only additive I like for old cars not using synthetic is Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I have had good results , and can say it does what it is supposed to do. In engines that are recently rebuilt or more modern , synthetics seem to work just great on their own.

Colin
    To: RSANTER@aol.com
    Cc: ronald.robertson@sympatico.ca ; APPTELINC@aol.com ; shelbymustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 10:21 AM

Back in 93 I had a Cobra mustang that I added a procharger supercharger to which ran a little warm. After running it a couple months I added the slick 50 to it and it ran 15 degrees cooler.I don't believe all of the wild mfg. claims but it must be more slippery then oil. I never tried the synthetic oils in that car and wonder if they would have done the same thing. I use the synthetics in the supercharged cars I have had since then with similar results. I haven't used slick 50 since that first 93 car. Bob G.

back when I was in colledge, we did a test on slick 50
    we dyno tested an engine for baseline and then we added slick50 ( we added more then the recomended amount) and the engine picked up a few HP.
    so at least the product is slippier than oil

bob

_____________________________________________________ This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm