Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: Powerful Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Dan, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Dan

Dan Guest

hey I remember when you got a NEW car everyone knew it because it was DIFFERENT .. I think the "retro" comebacks will do great ;)

Dan

Camilla <campaul1 (AT) xtra (DOT) co.nz> wrote:
    We been saying this for 20 years! Christ! These so called Automotive marketing experts and corporate buffoons finally might just be getting on board to the fact that there is a huge market for fun and exciting not to mention great looking cars. Take the new Challenger Concept. Now as far as I am concerned this is a fantastic approach. Sure we need the other practicalities in the market place but my god some of the designs are just plain awful. I checked the Detroit auto show website yesterday and showed my wife some of the cars. She asked why are some of the cars so ugly? Who bloody knows.

Friend of mine has a new Crossfire. The interior is already so scratch and the finish is literally coming off. He is a lawyer and doesn't bang his car around. Oh well! Anyway, I am very interested to see if they produce the Challenger and also to see if it proves there is indeed a market for these cars!

Regards

Randall

----- Original Message -----
    To: Dan Drury ; CARMEMORIES
    Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 2:33 AM
    Subject: Re: Powerful Nostalgia

I know this is a stretch, but you don't suppose the American car makers have FINALLY twigged to the fact that many buyers don't like buying non descript, "can't tell if it's a Nissan or a Cadillac", jelly bean shaped cars and want to return to the old days when everyone knew a Camaro from a Mustang - by it's shape? In our lifetime, yet.
    WOW!
    Ron
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: CARMEMORIES
    Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 7:29 AM
    Subject: Powerful Nostalgia

Powerful Nostalgia
    To Prop Up Sagging Sales,
    Detroit Turns to Muscle Cars
    That Recall the Glory Days
    By NEAL E. BOUDETTE
    Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
    January 10, 2006; Page B1

DETROIT -- The sleek, silvery Chevrolet Camaro concept car that rolled onto the stage here yesterday fittingly came at the end of a parade of four classic 1969 models, their V8 engines in full, earsplitting roar.
    The Camaro prototype was just the latest example of how Detroit auto makers are reaching back to legendary cars of their past in hopes of brightening their future.
    General Motors Corp., desperate for a hit, with its North American operations losing millions, is gearing up for a likely relaunch of the Camaro, the muscle car that prowled American roads starting in the 1960s.
    AUTO SHOW COVERAGE

• See complete coverage of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, including our news tracker.

• Motor City Rides: A slideshow of production and concept cars.

• Ford Focuses on Market-Share Slide

• Ford, GM Promote 'Flex-Fuel' Vehicles

In a similar move, DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group is planning to reproduce the Dodge Challenger, a sporty coupe that had its heyday in the early 1970s. The two auto makers are showing prototypes of these cars this week at the Detroit auto show.
    "The Challenger and Camaro are stealing the show," said Mike Jackson, chairman and chief executive of AutoNation Inc., the nation's largest chain of auto dealerships. "The way for American car companies to compete is to build cars their competitors can't do."
    The Camaro and Challenger join Detroit's revival of bold "pony cars" that were revered by car enthusiasts and teenagers in the tie-dye era. Ford Motor Co., which like GM is losing millions in North America, has a rare hit in the Mustang, the original pony car, that it redesigned last year to hew closely to the look of the 1960s original. In 2005, two other muscle-car nameplates returned in the Dodge Charger and Pontiac GTO, although neither one of those cars looks much like its original.

The Chevy Camaro prototype, with its 1969 predecessor.

Shortly after the Mustang was launched, Helaina Semmler of Mt. Laurel, N.J., ran out and ordered a blue-and-white one -- the sixth Mustang she has owned -- and it comes closest to reminding her of her first car, a '68 model. "I'm reminded of when I was in college and carefree," she said. "I love it, and I get a million compliments on it."
    The return of the muscle cars -- a small, inexpensive car with a large engine -- is part of a broader trend toward retro-styling that has been going on for several years. The Volkswagen Beetle returned in the late 1990s, followed by Chrysler's retro-styled PT Cruiser and the Ford Thunderbird a few years later. Late last year, Chevrolet launched the HHR, a boxy wagon that borrows lines and curves form the 1947 Chevy Suburban. After several years of disappointing sales, Ford has stopped building the underpowered Thunderbird.
    The success of the retro models is important for the three U.S. auto makers, particularly GM and Ford. Both are closing plants, cutting jobs and losing market share under increasing competitive pressure from Toyota Motor Corp. and other foreign rivals. Chrysler is making money and increased its U.S. market share slightly but still needs models that resonate with customers in hopes of maintaining its upward momentum.
    Except for the Mustang, reborn muscle cars so far have mixed track records. While Ford sold more than 160,000 Mustangs last year, Chrysler sold 44,804 Chargers and GM only 11,590 GTOs.

The Dodge Challenger concept, with its 1970 progenitor.

Both the Camaro and Challenger generated buzz at the Detroit show, but neither GM nor Chrysler has publicly committed to producing them so far. People familiar with Chrysler's plans, however, expect the Challenger to be launched sometime in 2007. It is expected to sport a 6-liter, 425-horsepower Hemi V8 engine. The Camaro concept was shown with a 400-horsepower V8.
    Auto executives say they think those cars can tap into nostalgia for the 1960s and '70s among baby boomers, as well as an increasing appreciation for Detroit's past glory among younger car buyers.
    "There are 1,000 Camaro clubs in this country," Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peeper said amid a throng jostling to glimpse the Camaro. "We have 250 Camaro owners who flew in here on their own money to see this car. There's tremendous enthusiasm for the Camaro name."
    For many potential customers, the new muscle cars are appealing because they stand out among the dozens of bland, look-alike designs that populate today's auto market. "It's getting harder and harder to distinguish cars you see on the road," said Blake Greenstein, a 43-year old bank executive and owner of a 1973 Challenger in Columbus, Ohio. "They all look kind of rounded and boxy."
    Mr. Greenstein said he loves the look of the new Challenger and would be interested in buying one. "I'd love to have a car that looks like my '73 but has all the comfort and modern technology -- air conditioning, air bags."

Ford Mustang started retro-muscle craze.

With the Camaro, GM tried to produce a new car that would remind buyers of the old models without reusing any specific design elements from the past -- a formula similar to the one Chrysler used with the Charger. For example, the new Camaro features creases and angles on its back and front ends where '60s Camaros were more curved.
    Mr. Peeper said GM thinks its approach has yielded a car that can appeal to both older and younger customers. A pure reproduction "is not where you want to be," he said. "We think we're hitting the sweet spot."
    Chrysler is going the other way, creating a near-reproduction of the old Challenger -- the same approach Ford used with the hot-selling Mustang. The bright-orange concept Chrysler design chief Trevor Creed unveiled features a wide grille, hood scoops and taillights taken almost directly from the 1970 Challenger.
    "We want people to look at it and say, 'That's a Challenger!' " Mr. Creed said.
    Write to Neal E. Boudette at neal.boudette (AT) wsj (DOT) com

---------------------------------
    Yahoo! Photos – Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover
    Photo Books. You design it and we’ll bind it!