Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: Re: Low gloss black paint for engine compartment

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Guest, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

> I wish I had counted how many engine compartments I have detailed with the engine still in the car. Kudos to you if you can do a big block engine compartment like that. We took the valve covers and exhaust manifolds off the engine (aluminum intakes were removed also). The accessories, mounting brackets and pulleys came off. Remove the fuel pump, oil pressure sender and hoses. Steam clean everything, be extremely careful not to let any water get into the engine. Paint the engine assembly blue or black. Tape a drop cloth around the painted engine block and do the compartment next. Strip the engine compartment of all wires, electrical parts, export brace, MC bar, master cylinder, acc. pedal, horns, hood latch etc. Unbolt the fenders and lift them to have a sharp edge on the paint separation. Don't forget to tape off the firewall where the body color overlaps the aprons (this is often detailed incorrectly at shows). Paint the inside walls and both sides of the core support. You can strip and paint lower than you will be able to see with everthing reinstalled. Clean, paint and detail all the accessories before you reattach them. Don't forget to detail all the nuts and bolts. If you do a show quality job, it will take more than a weekend. If you decide to do a big block this way, don't call me. That is something I would never try.

Lee Mathias