Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: Repro Autolite batteries

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by GT350HZ@aol.com, Mar 8, 2005.

1. I have one of the add acid variety, my first one died after 4 years, may
    have been partially my fault because the electrolyte level was low in one
    chamber (I didn't check them all, all of the time. I have a friend who has had a
    sealed battery without any problem for about a year. He bought it from
    Virginia Mustang.
    I would have bought the sealed one, but mine died on a Saturday morning of a
    car show. So I ran over to Dallas Mustang for a replacement.
    Lee 66 # 869

2. I've had good luck with the acid type *if* you take care of them. I
    always disconnect it when in the garage, check electrolyte levels
    frequently, and charge it every 60 days or so. The previous two have
    lasted 6-7 years. I'll have to admit that when the current one dies
    I'll probably get a sealed one, just too convenient.

Dave McDonald
    6S1757

GT350HZ@aol.com wrote:

> I have one of the add acid variety, my first one died after 4 years,
    > may have been partially my fault because the electrolyte level was low
    > in one chamber (I didn't check them all, all of the time. I have a
    > friend who has had a sealed battery without any problem for about a
    > year. He bought it from Virginia Mustang.
    > I would have bought the sealed one, but mine died on a Saturday
    > morning of a car show. So I ran over to Dallas Mustang for a replacement.
    > Lee 66 # 869

3. Colin Comer

Colin Comer Guest

One tip the manufacturer gave me for the acid type batteries is to just barely cover the plates with acid. Most people over-fill them which is why they spew acid out and over-gas.

A properly functioning voltage regulator is also often absent. I have seen a lot of repo and replacement regulators that over charge and cook batteries. Any shop with a good charging system diagnostic machine (i.e., Snap-On AVR) can test for you. This is most likely more prevalent with cars that are not driven much, due to the battery being discharged and a voltage regulator that gets hot trying to correct. The regulator then gets a slight memory and the high-cut malfunctions and consequently always charges at too high of a rate, even when the battery is back to life. Then you get the acid boiling over from the vents and making a mess! Hence my affinity for Battery Tenders, AGM sealed batteries and/or Optima style gel batteries! Nothing keeps a battery around longer than a good float charger/maintainer. And no, I am not employed by anybody in the battery or battery charging industry!

Just my .02.

Regards,
    Colin Comer

----- Original Message -----
    To: shelbymustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 10:39 AM
    Subject: Re: Repro Autolite batteries

I've had good luck with the acid type *if* you take care of them. I always disconnect it when in the garage, check electrolyte levels frequently, and charge it every 60 days or so. The previous two have lasted 6-7 years. I'll have to admit that when the current one dies I'll probably get a sealed one, just too convenient.

Dave McDonald
    6S1757

GT350HZ@aol.com wrote:

I have one of the add acid variety, my first one died after 4 years, may have been partially my fault because the electrolyte level was low in one chamber (I didn't check them all, all of the time. I have a friend who has had a sealed battery without any problem for about a year. He bought it from Virginia Mustang.
    I would have bought the sealed one, but mine died on a Saturday morning of a car show. So I ran over to Dallas Mustang for a replacement.
    Lee 66 # 869

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm

4. STAN SIMM

STAN SIMM Guest

I'll add my 2 cents worth to what Dave says. I believe it best to invest in a Battery Tender and leave it hooked up to the battery. In a normal lead-acid battery, sulfating of the plates is what kills a battery and having a slight pos. chg. on it will minimize this.
    Regards, Stan
    5S071
    6S1467
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: shelbymustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 11:39 AM
    Subject: Re: Repro Autolite batteries

I've had good luck with the acid type *if* you take care of them. I always disconnect it when in the garage, check electrolyte levels frequently, and charge it every 60 days or so. The previous two have lasted 6-7 years. I'll have to admit that when the current one dies I'll probably get a sealed one, just too convenient.

Dave McDonald
    6S1757

GT350HZ@aol.com wrote:

I have one of the add acid variety, my first one died after 4 years, may have been partially my fault because the electrolyte level was low in one chamber (I didn't check them all, all of the time. I have a friend who has had a sealed battery without any problem for about a year. He bought it from Virginia Mustang.
    I would have bought the sealed one, but mine died on a Saturday morning of a car show. So I ran over to Dallas Mustang for a replacement.
    Lee 66 # 869