Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: Shelby e-bay auctions

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Joe Bright, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Joe Bright

Joe Bright Guest

Patrick, Your post gave me a lot to think about and dad gum you may be right. I could see where these "new millenium" Shelby's could be the rave to the younger generation. Heck, even these "E" things could end up being a standard of performance for these kids. It just took your post for me to stop and think about it. I still believe that the "real" Shelby's (1965-1970) will be the investor's preference and will continue to bring staggering sums of cash. Merry Christmas to all, Joe Bright.
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: RSANTER@aol.com ; wwells249101MI@comcast.net ; jbb@apcabinets.com ; jonlee@wt.net
    Cc: shelbymustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 1:44 AM
    Subject: RE: Shelby e-bay auctions

It's more than overhead. Unique probably runs just as soundly has Shelby American did in the 60's (or better). It is for the reason you cite Bob, they have successfully transformed the Shelby name from that of a "lucky Texan" trying to homologate cars for racing, into a name brand valued in the world of street rod customization.

So what if the "E" cars have a different appeal and purpose than the originals? The whole brand gets elevated. If Harley Davidson stuck to catering to their 1% hard core audience, they would have died in the 80's as a sad subsidiary of AMF.

Think of it as the Harley Riding Lawyers phenomenon in the 90's but now it's Shelby Authorized Clones for Real Estate Developers.;) I don't begrudge that. The "E" cars seem to me to keep in spirit with what Shelby was doing in the 60's, a forward looking push of the performance envelope using the best technology of the time. Frankly, I am more suspicious of the appearance only packages being offered with the Shelby name on it than I am of six-figure GT500E's.

It is only too bad that some of Carroll's previous efforts to push the envelope didn't meet with as much success. The olds powered spec racers or Series One are two that come to mind. Perhaps "Shelby Inc." is the best way to ensure future ventures are more commercially viable so the brand is around to enjoy as living thing, rather than historical footnote. Let's face it, the automotive history is littered with brilliant designers, engineers, and race car drivers. The ones people care most about these days are also those that still persist. How many teenagers 'ooh' and 'ahh' if you pulled up in a 442 W30 compared to a Cobra or '67 GT500?

I only hope that "Shelby Inc." keeps the spirit of the man, while functioning as a profitable, well managed enterprise. If they do, we'll have the Shelby brand and history to enjoy today as will our children in the future. Perhaps it'll be for different year or model but ultimately, for the same reason. That is a legacy Carroll deserves. If they don't, feel free to send them prodigious amounts of threat-laced email.

Merry Christmas!

~Patrick Krook

Patrick Krook
    President/CEO
    Show Your Auto llc
    P.O. 4221
    Antioch IL 60002

pat@showyourauto.com
    www.showyourauto.com
    tel:
    fax:
    mobile:
    (847) 838-3749
    (847) 574-5910
    (224) 430-0931

Add me to your address book...
    Want a signature like this?

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 9:13 PM
    To: wwells249101MI@comcast.net; jbb@apcabinets.com; jonlee@wt.net
    Cc: shelbymustang@carmemories.com
    Subject: Re: Shelby e-bay auctions

I guess the reason the prices on the 'new' shelbys'E' is so high is all the corperate overhead that now exsists

bob