Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: Space saver question

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by ecj, Nov 15, 2005.

1. ecj

ecj Guest

<HEAD>
    <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
    <BODY>
    <DIV>
    <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=GENERATOR>
    <DIV>
    <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=GENERATOR>
    <DIV>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Dan is correct. That spare tire on E-Bay will not fit a Shelby Mustang if it is a 5 lug on a 4.25" bolt circle. The Shelby and&nbsp;1965-1973 Mustang 5 lug wheels&nbsp;have a wheel bolt pattern of 5 lugs on a 4.5" diameter bolt circle.&nbsp;The measure of the bolt circle goes right through the center of the studs or bolt holes in the wheel. Even with a ruler it is&nbsp;a little difficult to measure on a 5 bolt pattern. The wheel in the picture sort of looks like a correct late model Mustang spare wheel but if it really is a 5 on 4.25" bolt circle then&nbsp;you can't use it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">If you are going to pick up one of those mini-spares that you find in late model Mustangs, Crown Vics, or Mercury Grand Marquis make sure you try it out for fit on your car when you first get it.&nbsp;You want to make sure you don't have interference between your caliper and rim.&nbsp;The typical mini-spares must go for dirt cheap and the junk yards and you should be able to source it locally. It would be easier to take it back and get a different one if it didn't fit.&nbsp;&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">For those of you that have an old B.F. Goodrich collapsible spare tire in your trunk&nbsp;you can either use a&nbsp;mini-compressor to inflate&nbsp;the tire like Dan, or you can go the cheap way and buy one of those little $5 foot compressors to keep in your trunk. The price of an old B.F. Goodrich collapsible spare tire and or the inflator bottle is very high on&nbsp;E-Bay now-a-days. <o:p></o:p></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">A short time ago I saw a Shelby on E-Bay with a collapsible spare tire&nbsp;in the trunk and the rim was painted orange. If I remember correctly, AMC&nbsp;vehicles like the Pacer or Gremlin&nbsp;had the B.F. Goodrich Space Saver spares on orange rims. General Motors used black rims like Ford did. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Jim Seisser&nbsp;&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P><BR><BR>-----Original Message----- <BR>From: danbelick@sbcglobal.net <BR>Sent: Nov 15, 2005 10:40 AM <BR>To: GT350HZ@aol.com <BR>Cc: shelbymustang@carmemories.com <BR>Subject: Re: Space saver question <BR><BR></DIV><ZZZHTML><ZZZHEAD><ZZZMETA content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"><ZZZMETA name="GENERATOR" content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2627">
    <STYLE></STYLE>
    </ZZZHEAD><ZZZBODY id=role_body style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" rightMargin="7" topMargin="7" leftMargin="7" bgColor="#ffffff" bottomMargin="7">
    <DIV>You need a 5 on 4 1/2 space saver.&nbsp; You can get a good one that could be used, from Tony at T and D motors.&nbsp; I carry one with a mini compressor.&nbsp; It works in a pinch, and fits the small shelby trunks nicely.</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>all the best,</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Dan Belick</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
    <DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A title=GT350HZ@aol.com href="mailto:GT350HZ@aol.com">GT350HZ@aol.com</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=shelbymustang@carmemories.com href="mailto:shelbymustang@carmemories.com">shelbymustang@carmemories.com</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, November 14, 2005 8:34 PM</DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Space saver question</DIV>
    <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT id=role_document face=Arial color=#000000 size=2>
    <DIV><A href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=7946970519&amp;fromMakeTrack=true">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=7946970519&amp;fromMakeTrack=true</A></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>I was wondering if this would fit the 1969 Shelby as an emergency&nbsp;spare tire?</DIV>
    <DIV>If not, what is the (5) bolt pattern that I need?&nbsp; </DIV>
    <DIV>Also, does anyone have any suggestion for locating something that I can use as a spare without spending a fortune?</DIV>
    <DIV>I don't want my luck to run out driving without a spare tire and&nbsp;I would like to find something that would fit in the trunk.&nbsp; </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Thanks Lee</DIV>
    <DIV>66 # 869</DIV>
    <DIV>69 # 2055</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></ZZZBODY></ZZZHTML></DIV></DIV></BODY><PRE>