Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: Space saver question

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by ecj, Nov 18, 2005.

1. ecj

ecj Guest

<HEAD>
    <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
    <BODY>
    <DIV>
    <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2180" name=GENERATOR>
    <DIV>Yes, you are making this more difficult than it needs to be. 1969 Mustangs had full size spare tires in the trunk when new. They were on 14" diameter wheels.&nbsp;As everybody knows, when there is a full size spare in the trunk there is not much room for&nbsp;much of anything else. This is the whole idea in&nbsp;having offered&nbsp;the B.F. Goodrich Space Saver Spare tire as an option back in the late 1960's when the tire&nbsp;first came out, to offer more room in the trunk!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Here's all you need to do, first find a spare steel rim from a swap meet, junk yard, or where ever&nbsp;that has the correct five hole on a 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern. The wheel can be 14" diameter or 15" diameter or even 16" diameter it you want, whatever you find first that works and is cheap. After you have you have&nbsp;your wheel then pull&nbsp;off one front tire and wheel from the front of your car and bolt&nbsp;your spare wheel on to the car. At this point you can also determine what you need to have for correct lug nuts. If you can spin the wheel freely and there is no rubbing against the brake caliper you have found a correct wheel to&nbsp;use. If you can fit the wheel on the front then you should be able to fit the rear without a problem and you don't have to trial it unless you want the extra work. </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Now take your wheel to your local tire shop and get the skinnest street tire they have that comes the closest to to your overall diameter of what's on the car now.&nbsp;Now you are done. You have your spare. Go mount it in your trunk. &nbsp;&nbsp;<BR><BR><BR>-----Original Message----- <BR>From: GT350HZ@aol.com <BR>Sent: Nov 17, 2005 10:36 PM <BR>To: RSANTER@aol.com, bgaines@kc.rr.com, shelbymustang@carmemories.com <BR>Subject: Re: Space saver question <BR><BR></DIV><ZZZHTML><ZZZHEAD><ZZZMETA content="text/html; charset=US-ASCII" http-equiv="Content-Type"><ZZZMETA content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2769" name="GENERATOR"></ZZZHEAD><ZZZBODY id=role_body style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" rightMargin="7" topMargin="7" leftMargin="7" bottomMargin="7"><FONT id=role_document face=Arial color=#000000 size=2>
    <DIV>First for those who may not understand, I am trying to figure out what is the best solution for a spare tire for a 1969 GT350 that is used as a daily driver.&nbsp; Currently my solution is a can of fix-a-flat and a cell phone.</DIV>
    <DIV>I guess I am slightly confused about the whole tire situation of what will fit in the trunk.&nbsp; If a standard tire and 15" Shelby wheel would be a problem, then do I need a thinner rim and tire, or just something smaller in diameter?&nbsp;&nbsp; The offset will need to be similar to the Shelby wheel so that there is not problem in clearing calipers.&nbsp; I thought the diameter of the tire wheel + aspect ratio of the tire should be the same as the tires on the car to prevent any problems with the rear end (in case it is used&nbsp;in place of&nbsp;a rear tire).&nbsp;The width of the tire was narrower on an E 70 (185-195mm)&nbsp;than an F 70 (205mm)&nbsp;series.&nbsp; So if an E series would fit, then the width of the tire is the&nbsp;difference from what&nbsp;I know about tires.&nbsp;I measured a 60 series tire on a 15" rim is about 25" in&nbsp;height.&nbsp; &nbsp; </DIV>
    <DIV>My 17" wheels with 40 series tires (on my cobra) is about the same height as the 15" with 60 series tires.&nbsp;&nbsp;I really don't want to have to mount tires on a wheel to see if they will fit.&nbsp; Suggestions?&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Am I just making this difficult&nbsp;or is the situation just&nbsp;messed up?</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Lee</DIV>
    <DIV>66 # 869</DIV>
    <DIV>69 # 2055&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></ZZZBODY></ZZZHTML></DIV></BODY><PRE>