Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: Stirring up an old topic

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Tom Kubler, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Tom Kubler

Tom Kubler Guest

I know of a case where a street car had a a good race history. It had been pranged at one point. While easily fixable the car was left parked. For a good while until someone picked it up to restore with the intent of capitalizing on the raising market-- 3 to 4 years ago. Rather than fixing the original chassis that was rust free, but with a 8-point cage in it, it was rebodied. IIRC the car went on to be sold for VERY GOOD MONEY at B-J in AZ or NV even with the crowd being told it was a rebody of a wrecked car. A long-time Shelby enthusiast and vintage racer was at the auction and heard the original tub could be bought rather reasonably. Back at his place, I looked over the chassis. I was suprised what good shape it was in, and how easy the repair would have been. When the reboby took place they took the time to cut the K vin and Shelby shock tower stampings from the car, but otherwise the bare chassis was unmistakenly 100% correct (and rust free). Whether the numbers were
    actually transfered to the new chassis or just destroyed, no one knows. The fellow who bought it was going to rebuild it for vintage racing, and was not concerned with title and serial number. I don't recall whether the car had the rollbar stamped (a post-1972 thing), but if so, that could be traced to the original race history... and in turn the Shelby VIN.

Is this the same car?... I don't know. CRS hampers me more each day, but the story has parallels. In the end, what happens after the owner of the true chassis passes away and someone makes the connection of the race car with the rebody? Original chassis stripped of VINs but tracable cage stamping. "Other" chassis, possibly with grafted VIN. Will the real car please stand up?

Tom Kubler, Now outside St. Louis!

GT350HZ@aol.com wrote:
    OK, The list has been very quiet for a while. So I'll will stir up an old topic Rebodied cars. I noticed on Ebay the 1966 GT350H Rebodied car. Item number: 4589183359.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shel...iewItemQQcategoryZ6465QQitemZ4589183359QQrdZ1
    Except that this is supposed to be the correct matching engine that goes with the Shelby VIN the car is an A Code fastback.
    Would someone tell me why a rebodied car is bid up to $70,000 and not met reserve?
    I have not inquired with Howard Pardee as I would have no interest in the car. There is no registry note about the car being a 4-speed, a rebodied car, or of having been destroyed and recreated. I know that some states use the engine block as the basis for a cars vehicle identity. If a rebodied or reconstructed car is worth this much, how much are real solid good cars selling for? Just curious as to thoughts from the group on this car.

Lee
    66 # 869
    69 # 2055