Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: survivor car

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by ecj, Apr 7, 2005.

1. ecj

ecj Guest

<HEAD>
    <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
    <BODY>
    <DIV>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">No, I don't think so. I guess it depends how you want to take the article? That was a very interesting and informative article. Thanks for sharing it with us. If&nbsp;Bloomington Gold has&nbsp;the&nbsp;term "Survivor"&nbsp;trademarked and they want it to mean something specific in the Corvette world then they have every right to defend it. If they own the trademark to the term then it is their responsibility to defend it. If they don't defend it then who will?&nbsp;Since the word means something very specific in the Corvette world, applying it to other vehicles would seem pointless and such references should really be avoided. <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">There are a great number of cars listed on E-Bay everyday&nbsp;that have very interesting or questionable descriptions.&nbsp;I guess one&nbsp;needs to remember that beauty is sometimes in the eye of beholder and it is in the best interest of the seller to portray a vehicle in&nbsp;its best light. Please don’t take anything I’m saying here as being negative toward Stephen nor his 1969 <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Shelby</st1:place></st1:City> convertible. I think it is a great looking vehicle. But there is no question it is a buyer-beware world out there and it is best to look before you leap and to ask many questions. <o:p></o:p></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></P>
    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Jim</P><BR><BR><BR><BR>-----Original Message----- <BR>From: Mike Greene <MGREENE@HIWAAY.NET><BR>Sent: Apr 7, 2005 10:49 AM <BR>To: "Stephen G. Becker" <SBECKERONE@CHARTER.NET>, Colin Comer <COLIN@COLINSCLASSICAUTO.COM>, Gary Heyd <WDIAMOND5@EARTHLINK.NET>, shelby mustang <SHELBYMUSTANG@CARMEMORIES.COM><BR>Subject: Re: survivor car <BR><BR><ZZZHTML><ZZZBODY><A href="http://www.bloomingtongold.com/?link=survivor2" eudora="autourl">http://www.bloomingtongold.com/?link=survivor2</A><BR><BR><BR>They're a little arrogant, don't you think?<BR><BR><BR>At 09:45 AM 4/8/05, Stephen G. Becker wrote:<BR><BR>
    <BLOCKQUOTE class=cite cite="" type="cite"><FONT face=garamond>My understanding of a "survivor" car is that the car is still here after 35 or so years...........................<BR></FONT>&nbsp;<BR><FONT face=garamond>ha ha<BR></FONT>&nbsp;<BR><FONT face=garamond>ps -<BR></FONT>&nbsp;<BR><FONT face=garamond>Is the word "survivor car" really trademarked by the Bloomington Gold people?<BR></FONT>&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>
    <DL>
    <DD>----- Original Message ----- <BR>
    <DD>From:</B> <A href="mailto:colin@colinsclassicauto.com">Colin Comer</A> <BR>
    <DD>To:</B> <A href="mailto:wdiamond5@earthlink.net">Gary Heyd</A> ; <A href="mailto:Shelbymustang@carmemories.com">shelby mustang</A> <BR>
    <DD>Sent:</B> Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:42 AM<BR>
    <DD>Subject:</B> Re: survivor car<BR><BR>
    <DD><FONT face=arial size=2>Good question, I was wondering the same when I saw the car. Nice piece, but, IMHO, a sur#*!or (worried about The Corvette Guys coming to get me - LOL) should be original paint and very little detailing or replacement parts? Stephen's car looked to have some detailing under the hood and perhaps some replacement items?<BR></FONT>
    <DD><BR>&nbsp;
    <DD><FONT face=arial size=2>No disrespect intended, just wondering myself what the Shelby guys consider a "surviving example" (note: surviving example is not a trademark infringement). I know that the Corvette guys and Mopar guys only allow a certain percentage of the paint to have been done. The GTOAA is very particular, you will not get a preservation award if the car has less than 80% original paint I seem to recall.<BR></FONT>
    <DD><BR>&nbsp;
    <DD><FONT face=arial size=2>Looking forward to the official word from our leaders. BG?<BR></FONT>
    <DD><BR>&nbsp;
    <DD><FONT face=arial size=2>Regards,<BR>
    <DD>Colin<BR></FONT>
    <DL>
    <DD>----- Original Message ----- <BR>
    <DD>From:</B> <A href="mailto:wdiamond5@earthlink.net">Gary Heyd</A> <BR>
    <DD>To:</B> <A href="mailto:Shelbymustang@carmemories.com">shelby mustang</A> <BR>
    <DD>Sent:</B> Thursday, April 07, 2005 9:26 AM<BR>
    <DD>Subject:</B> survivor car<BR><BR>
    <DD><FONT face="Century Gothic, Avant Garde">I was looking at this car and see it described as a "survivor".&nbsp; I guess all 35 year old cars are in some ways, but what are the parameters for a car to be considered a "survivor"&nbsp; for judging?&nbsp; I would imagine a full repaint would not be allowed but what percentage of repaint is allowed?&nbsp; What else can or cannot be done to the car?<BR>
    <DD>Gary<BR>
    <DD><A href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;rd=1,1&amp;item=4540265882&amp;sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;rd=1,1&amp;item=4540265882&amp;sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT</A><BR></FONT><BR></DD></DL></DD></DL><BR><BR>No virus found in this incoming message.<BR>Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.<BR>Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.9.3 - Release Date: 4/5/05</BLOCKQUOTE><X-SIGSEP>
    <P></X-SIGSEP>Mike Greene<BR>TENA Website Curator<BR>Trideum Corporation<BR>256.704.6113<BR><BR><BR></ZZZBODY></ZZZHTML></P></DIV></BODY><PRE>

2. Agreed!
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: shelby mustang
    Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:03 PM
    Subject: Re: survivor car

No, I don't think so. I guess it depends how you want to take the article? That was a very interesting and informative article. Thanks for sharing it with us. If Bloomington Gold has the term "Survivor" trademarked and they want it to mean something specific in the Corvette world then they have every right to defend it. If they own the trademark to the term then it is their responsibility to defend it. If they don't defend it then who will? Since the word means something very specific in the Corvette world, applying it to other vehicles would seem pointless and such references should really be avoided.

There are a great number of cars listed on E-Bay everyday that have very interesting or questionable descriptions. I guess one needs to remember that beauty is sometimes in the eye of beholder and it is in the best interest of the seller to portray a vehicle in its best light. Please don't take anything I'm saying here as being negative toward Stephen nor his 1969 Shelby convertible. I think it is a great looking vehicle. But there is no question it is a buyer-beware world out there and it is best to look before you leap and to ask many questions.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Apr 7, 2005 10:49 AM
    To: "Stephen G. Becker" , Colin Comer , Gary Heyd , shelby mustang

http://www.bloomingtongold.com/?link=survivor2

They're a little arrogant, don't you think?

At 09:45 AM 4/8/05, Stephen G. Becker wrote:

My understanding of a "survivor" car is that the car is still here after 35 or so years...........................

ha ha

ps -

Is the word "survivor car" really trademarked by the Bloomington Gold people?

To: Gary Heyd ; shelby mustang

Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 10:42 AM

Good question, I was wondering the same when I saw the car. Nice piece, but, IMHO, a sur#*!or (worried about The Corvette Guys coming to get me - LOL) should be original paint and very little detailing or replacement parts? Stephen's car looked to have some detailing under the hood and perhaps some replacement items?

No disrespect intended, just wondering myself what the Shelby guys consider a "surviving example" (note: surviving example is not a trademark infringement). I know that the Corvette guys and Mopar guys only allow a certain percentage of the paint to have been done. The GTOAA is very particular, you will not get a preservation award if the car has less than 80% original paint I seem to recall.

Looking forward to the official word from our leaders. BG?

Regards,

Colin

To: shelby mustang

Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 9:26 AM

Subject: survivor car

I was looking at this car and see it described as a "survivor". I guess all 35 year old cars are in some ways, but what are the parameters for a car to be considered a "survivor" for judging? I would imagine a full repaint would not be allowed but what percentage of repaint is allowed? What else can or cannot be done to the car?

Gary

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4540265882&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
    Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.9.3 - Release Date: 4/5/05
    Mike Greene
    TENA Website Curator
    Trideum Corporation