Join Shelby Forums Today

Re: Weber intake value?

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Tom Kubler, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Tom Kubler

Tom Kubler Guest

Colin,

Background first (as I think this one out loud):
    A set of NOS Weber carbs, just the carbs, just sold on ebay for $3750, but they weren't Shelby American carbs. S-A carbs carry the part number 48IDA-1A and are serial numbered. Serial numbers on the dozen carbs I have personally inspected have ranged between 100 and 300. A setup that was for sell in AL not too long ago was supposed to have S/Ns in the 500 range.

I have seen various FE intakes go for $750-1400, one exceptional case (IIRC) was $2300.

I've seen a complete Offy Weber FE setup sell for $3500, and original S-A SBF set-ups no-sell at that same figure.

I'm not up on all the BBF ford stuff, but I've seen four different SB configurations with varying carburator orientation and port sizing. Variances can be attributed to the end application-- street over-counter sales and competition. I wonder if that could also be true in BB parts.

Another consideration is whether he has 48IDAs or the big kahunnas, 58s (or were they 54s????). The later are very rare.

Narrowing the market value is that 48IDAs were re-released in the last year or so, and go for about $500 a pop; a complete, new, ready-to-run BBF set-up can be had for around $5000.

All that said, here's my thoughts: Original, used, carbs- $3500-4000 + Original, used, intake- $1000-$1750 + Linkages $100-200 + Air horn screens $75-200 + fuel log $100-250.

Sum: $5000-6250 + or - 10%, could be worth more to the right buyer & depending on other specifics about the set-up. I would tend to value them on the upper end of the scale. Of course, how soon he wants to sell also affects what he should ask.

Other-- Rebuild kits can be had for $50-75 per carburetor. Carb-to-intake gaskets are ridiculously priced at $6-8 each.

Now for the disclaimer... I'm not a parts dealer, and I've been out of the market place for years now, so my feel is based on what I've seen pass across my computer screen. Also, this appraisal is worth what you paid for it.

Looking forward to the input of others-
    Tom Kubler

Colin Comer <colin@colinsclassicauto.com> wrote:
    Guys,
    Any idea on what a nearly NOS Weber intake with carbs (complete) is worth for a 427 Cobra? A gentleman contacted me asking what a fair price would be for this setup. Supposedly obtained from Shelby in the late 60's and been on the shelf since. I have no interest in it and am just helping him price it.

Any thoughts to help him out would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Colin