Join Shelby Forums Today

Shelby and SAAC at Odds

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by daltondavid, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

If you are aware of this current Rift between Shelby and SAAC, I want to hear how you feel about it from the heart. How do you think it will affect either party? So have at it folks! let's hear what you got to say! But STAY on topic please and act like ADULTS with respect shown to all Parties concerned.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  2. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Well, I don't think that Team Shelby will be bad for SAAC. I think it may help it. I am a member of SAAC and I will join Team Shelby as well. To me, it means more Events, more information and more fun. Over the years I have read where SAAC has done something that Shelby did not like and I have read where SAAC would get all angry at Shelby because he would not show up at this Event or that Event, ETC........ Then there are the SAAC Members who post how only the 1965 to 1967 Shelbys are the true Shelbys, ETC............. To me, if he Licensed it, it is a Shelby. I do believe that SAAC will servive just fine. They do need to make some changes and up date things though. I think that all of the BS going on right now against Team Shelby by SAAC Members is what's going to hurt SAAC. People just need to realize that both clubs can co-exist. Just my feelings on this matter.

PS: Dave, just because you are a Moderater here does not mean you should not be counted as well. If it is how you truely feel, post up and be heard.

David.

3. GT350DAVE

GT350DAVE Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by vernonestes
    I would like to know how he has been snubbed by the SAAC.
    That would probly clear up this whole arguement.
    Vern

Vern,
    That's an easy question to answer. SAAC has always given Carrol hero status. Pick up any Shelby American magazine and that fact is obvious. It has to be something stupid like Shelby's nose being out of joint for SAAC expanding into the SVT cars, a rescue that saved SVT. Could he feel jealous and think that SAAC's attention be partially diverted away from him? You bet. "I'm taking my ball and going home"
    SAAC has devoted themselves to Shelby, the cars, and to maintaining the integrity of the Marque. Without their efforts, a Shelby car would be just another hot rod non stock Mustang.
    Dave

4. racingdivision

racingdivision Well-Known Member

I think the popularity of Cobra's & Shelby Mustangs come from the efforts of SAAC and for companies such as Cobra Automotive & Tony Brand Performance who have developed replacement and restoration parts in some cases for over 25 years.

Not that I have ANYTHING against SAAC, O contraire, I support their actions. The Shelby Mustang mystique has everything to do with the renegade group of builders, fabricators and drivers that occupied the small Venice workshop. The same hands that made, refined and branded the Cobra's & Coupes where those involved in the development of the GT350.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  5. crzy4shelbys

crzy4shelbys Well-Known Member

I imagine that my opinion will be very unpopular, but here it is... we all are fans of CS's work, no doubt. Some people have great insight into the man himself, but for most of us, our opinions are based on stories and articles and our enthusiasm for his work. I think a lot of people look up to him for the man they imagine him to be. They love the cars and stories from the old days and they love him too because he was at the root of everything (myself included). He's done many things throughout his life that speak volumes of his great character and generosity, but in my mind there have been a number of things that also don't seem to be the actions of the person we all want him to be. This latest action in my opinion is a spiteful, juvenile move. As GT350DAVE put it, he's taking his ball (in this case his name) and going home.

I have no problem with a new club. In fact I think it's a wonderful idea. My problem with this whole thing is CS not renewing the licensing agreement with SAAC. Two clubs are great. SAAC would do just fine. But without the Shelby licensing agreement, who knows? Team Shelby goes from being a new, more modern club with a larger fan base than SAAC, to a club built with the intent to bring an end to SAAC once they don't renew the license agreement. I like the flaws with SAAC. I don't need an online database. I like the idea of a live person on the other end of the line who is even more enthusiastic than me about these cars and wants to make sure I get a legitimate car.

This whole thing is very unfortunate and petty. It leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth and I don't see any circumstance in which I would join Team Shelby given the tactics they have implemented in getting up and running. I still love the cars as I have since I was 13, but I can do without the club stuff. This is a HOBBY, not a big corporation. It's supposed to be about fun, not politics. Once the fun is gone, why be involved?

I'm not having fun.

6. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Well Said.
    However, i will still join team shelby, why not? probly some great people to meet over there!
    Vern

7. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

I'd like to know what the specific beef is. I have no idea, but just what I think the beef might be.

And, what or who is "Team Shelby"??

And, old folks get nutty ideas, might be time for 'ol Shels to be brought to light.

8. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

I think you'll find the bad blood goes back to before SAAC adopted SVTOA.

9. tesgt350

Big question here: Why does SAAC really need a Licensing Agreement NOW anyway. It is already very well esstablished and everyone already calls it SAAC instead of "Shelby American Automobile Club" and so far, everyone here has pretty much stated that they will NOT give up on SAAC. I truely believe that SAAC will still prosper. So really, what is the big deal here? Just asking.
    David.

10. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

For the full announcement go to: www.stangsunleashed.com/teamshelby
    Carroll has designated Team Shelby as the "only club officially recognized by the factory as the cars built by Shelby, including 2006 and newer Shelby brand Mustangs..." The focus of the Team Shelby club press release centers around the Shelby Automobiles factory and the cars that have been produced in Las Vegas.
    There is no mention of Shelby American, Inc. other than the timeline and the earlier cars Shelby produced in that era so it seems that both SAAC and Team Shelby could be viable for membership. The problem is with the litigation with CS Licensing for the return of all orginal Shelby American, Inc. California records that were given to SAAC fifteen years ago by Carroll. SAAC has kept and sorted the records to protect the marque and Shelby name with all the work don by volunteers. If CS Licensing gets the records back, one would expect that any inquiry to the validity of a Shelby American vehicle would no longer be free of charge as it is with SAAC.
    A well worded press release and explanation from all parties involved will probably have wait until the legal teams finish their deliberations.:eek:

11. ChiCobra

ChiCobra Well-Known Member

Has there been any 'offical' word from SAAC about this situation? If so, where is it posted?

12. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

when I started this thread, I said I would not comment. I am not commenting now, I am passing along some "Unofficial" information so nobody is sitting on the edge of their seat waiting for SAAC to come out with a Press Release. Here is what I know: Due to the Litigation involved, they are choosing to remain mum on the topic until. - Dave

13. Judy

Judy New Member

I am newly registered on this forum, but am very familiar with SAAC. They have always put Carroll Shelby on a pedistal! They have done nothing but kept his name and the cars alive all these years.

I see nothing wrong with starting a club for the new cars. -- But let SAAC alone.

What I hope Carroll and all the high powered licensing lawyers and CEO's realize before it's too late is that all this bad publicity will hurt Carroll's reputation. I understand that they are just doing their jobs, but I feel it is not good public relations.

This is a Club with good people getting together because of a common interest in cars that we love, and to honor the person who made it all possible.

Now it seems like the "Shelby Empire" wants to change all of this that has taken 32 years to establish.

Just let enthusiasts have a good time with their treasured cars, and let Carrolls reputation stay intact.

If it wasn't for SAAC, I don't think Shelby's popularity would have esculated like it has. It takes a backbone such as what the club has been over these years. if it wasn't for the club, the cars would be just like any other muscle cars of that era.
    Shelby's cars were collectible within 10 years of their existance. not many car brands of the 60's have those bragging rites.
    SAAC has kept the enthusiasim of Mr. Shelby's creations ongoing for over 3 decades. Let's continue to have support for what has kept the Shelby Dream alive for all of us.

14. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

Isn't that really getting close to the root of this issue... lack of communication.

Litigation or not, don't SAAC members have "need to know" about a potential disastrous fate of their club? ...with guidance from the top as to what they should or should not do to help the cause?

15. tesgt350

Uh..... Not really. We are Just Club Members. Only the Board has that Right and when Lawers get involved, nothing can be said until it is over. If WE all get in volved, we could just make matters worse.
    David.

16. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

I disagree...but that's OK. ;)

Any club IS the members.

17. tesgt350

I totally agree...... with out the Members, there is no Club. But the Members do not take any of the Burdens like the Board/Officers do when it comes to the Law.
    David.

18. 65gtfastback

65gtfastback Well-Known Member

the empire strikes back...

19. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if anybody is really a club member since SAAC is not the non-profit corporation it once was. I think that people who join are "customers" regardless of the word "Club" in the title.

20. Magstar

Magstar Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Roy its a business and I have heard the Leaders at SAAC take home a huge wage. I do apreciate what they do for these cars we all enjoy.If it was still nonprofit SAI would'nt be bothering with any of this .Sometimes history is way better left as history ,if that makes any sense?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.