Join Shelby Forums Today

Tame the Torque

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by Roger Ramjet, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Roger Ramjet

Roger Ramjet New Member

Street driving a blower car on factory tires is a challenge ..... and can be embarrassing. I don't know if anyone else has tried this, or even wants to, but I think this is a very simple change to aid traction. The supercharger bypass valve is an intake vacuum controlled device to reduce airflow and boost during cruise. The valve is normally open (bypass) with spring pressure and closed by vacuum on top of the blower during throttle opening. The instant torque hit when bumping the throttle is from the bypass valve closing.

I pulled the vacuum tube off the vacuum motor. A Harley CV carb pilot jet can be screwed into the vacuum motor inlet tube. I used a #44 or 0.016 inch jet. Then put the vacuum tube on again over the jet. The result delays the closing of the valve. The engine runs normally aspirated for about 1 second then goes to boost. This condition is much more controllable with throttle than the instant torque hit without the jet. Since the jet works in both the open and the closed direction, the valve does not open during shifts.

Here is a source for the jets.
    http://www.harley-performance.com/cv-carb-jets.html

Attached Files: