Join Shelby Forums Today

That's Not a Real One, Is It?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by BillH, Mar 9, 2006.

1. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

I am sure a lot of us have had people walk up to our cars and ask if it's a real one. I usually just say "Yes, it's a real one." Sometimes, they want to argue. I have had some interesting conversations. I would be interested in knowing what your response is.
    Thanks
    Bill

2. Early67

Early67 Well-Known Member

When you have an early '67, all kinds of 'experts' come out of the woods telling you everything that's wrong with it. Used to bother me. Now, I just let 'em stuff their foot deeper into their mouth.

3. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Like "early" said, with an early 67, folks point out stuff, until I tell them it's a SAAC div II Concours gold winner, and, with 67's, it's like a whole year model change every couple of hundred cars, that quiets them.
    Course in my area, just about everybody has seen my car at one show or another.

4. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

I rarely get asked when I have a Shelby out. If ever I just say where is yours so I can see what a real one looks like. Oh, you don't have one is my next line. If I take my Factory Five out I always get asked. Then depending on how the person is I either give a straight answer or screw with them.

5. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Best one I ever had was a guy came up and told me my car was a clone. I told it wasn't but he said " You're wrong, I know about these things". My momma taught me not to argue with fools.

6. SFM6S2015

SFM6S2015 Well-Known Member

Funnyest comment I ever had was when I heard a guy walking up to my 66 tell his friends " I know it's not real because it dosen't have a roll bar." When he and his friends got to the car I informed him that 67 was the first year for roll bars on street cars. This being a 66 it didn't come with one. Then came the question "is it real". After I said yes he asked "Is this the one I apprised last month". My response was " No and you shouldn't be appriseing Shelbys"

7. OVERRIDE

OVERRIDE Well-Known Member

I get people think my 65 Shelby is not real because it is missing the side brake scoops and the vent windows.:mad:

8. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

I have had a LOT of those type of discussions. When Hertz sold the GT-350H's, the local Ford dealer had about 6 of them. 1966 Shelby's were pretty much the only early Shelby's in this area. When someone tells me my car isn't a real one, I usually take the time to explain the differences and why they might not be familiar with the '65's. Occasionally, you run into some jerk who insists on arguing.
    One memorable conversation took place at a show I happened to put my car in. A group of people, three guys with their wives were walking around looking at the cars. When they looked at mine, one of the guys said in a voice loud enough for everyone in the area to hear “That’s NOT a real Shelby!” I said “What makes you say that?” “Well where are the quarter windows and the side scoops, this is a fake” This really hit me wrong. I said “You know, you shouldn’t make statements like that. There are a lot of knowledgeable car people here and you just told them that you don’t know crap about Shelby’s. And, please don’t tell the national club, (pointing to the SAAC sticker in the window) they have it in the registry as a real one.” I think I embarrassed him in front of his wife and friends, but he had it coming. To his credit, later he did ask me questions about the car, and I explained the differences.

9. Kickstand

Kickstand Well-Known Member

Man I thought that just happened around where I live where theres not many around. It seems like everyone has an opinion. I had just gotten my Gt500 and was showing it to one of our suppliers and this guy pops out of his car like a nat to a light and starts pointing out its flaws Scratch here and there.Then ask if its real.Glad to hear its nation wide
    Dave

10. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

That reminded me of another story. The owner of the local wrecking yard is a street rodder and runs a circle track car. I pulled in to his place one day shortly after getting my car. I've know this guy for years, he has never minced words about anything, always saying exactly what he was thinking. I don't remember how it started, but he said something snide about screwing up a perfectly good Mustang. I said "It's all stock" He said "Sure, you're going to tell me that exhaust system is stock?" Luckily, I had a reprint of the GT-350 owners manual that shows all the parts. For the first time ever, after showing it to him, he didn't have anything to say.

11. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

By the way. My early 67 Gt 350 has that silly little light in the upper brake scoop. Everybody points that out, and used to ask "whats with this?
    So I made up a little magnetic sign that has a photostat out of the SAAC guide showing it, with the "only 200 made" along the bottom. Along the top I wrote "Carroll Shelby, NOT J.C. Whitney." At shows I place it on the uper quarter panel right next to the light. That shut up a whole lot of folks.

12. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

What kills me is when people think "less" of a car if it isn't real. As long as you don't try to pass it off as real one why should craftsmenship and quality be thought of any less. There is no way I could afford what I have now if I had to pay today's prices. Lucky for me I bought back when it was a hobby and you purchased a car because you wanted it. Not because it was worth X amount and your only going to flip it. I can't afford a real 427 Cobra, so I did the next best thing and built a Factory Five. If I wanted a 65 GT 350 I would build one since I don't want to sell what I have to get one. Would I enjoy it anyless when driving? No.

13. d_ford

d_ford Well-Known Member

I used to get the same comments from every self proclaimed car guru at almost every show I went to. I finally got tired of arguing and trying to explain things and just kept quiet and let 'em ramble on. Some of the comments were actually funny they were so dumb.

14. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

A friend had a 70 Hemi car at a show.Some guy walks all around it, looks in over and under and then asks, Who's car is this? My friend says that it is his. The guy then asks if he would like him to tell him what is wrong with it. My friend then says, would you like me to tell you what is wrong with your wife? The guy left in a hurry.
    Frank

15. 68GT500-Aussieland

68GT500-Aussieland Well-Known Member

We're pretty lucky over here in Australia. There obviously are not many over here so people think that they are original - not replicas. Amazing though just how many people know about Shelbys and are in awe of them even though there arent many here.

I owned Aust GT Falcons for many years and regularly got "really nice replica" I'd pump them up by returning "geez you must be an expert to be able to be able to pick it".

Rohan

16. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

Very few people around here know what a Shelby is. A while back, I had my car in a show at a local park. Most of the locals had no clue what they were looking at. A highway ran right by the park. A group of guys on Harleys, complete with biker babes, rode past, one of them looked over and did a double take. I could swear he was looking at my car. Next thing I saw was brake lights and they turned around, rode up and parked their bikes. Totally ignoring the ‘Vettes, Camaros, Chevelles and Mustangs, they gathered around my Shelby. One guy said to hs buddies; “See, I told you it was a Shelby” I asked them if they knew what they were looking at. One of them said “Oh yea, we know. Wouldn’t have bother to stop otherwise” They were passing through from Spokane, taking the back way. They knew the right questions and were amazed to find a Shelby in po-dunk Moxee Washington. We talked for a while, they glanced around at the other cars, got back on their bikes and left.

17. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

The other one that always gets me is how everybody's father, cousin, uncle, son in law, sisters boyfriends bosses neighbor used to have one and they all were nicer than mine.
    Funny one I heard recently (don't know the car) was at a show some girl came over to check out this guys fastback (not Shelby) The girl asked if it was a Shelby and when he answered no she said "Too bad because I only like cars Shelby made. His wife Carol is a nice lady too"

18. SFM6S2015

SFM6S2015 Well-Known Member

15 Years ago when I had the time to paint cars for other people. My best customer was a Shelby dealer. He would let me drive and show whatever he had. I took a really nice 67 500 to a local show. Two men in there early 20s came up to look at it. They both thought it was a cool car untill one noticed that it had a fiberglass hood. Then he told his buddy it was a fake. A nice Fake but a fake anyway. I didn't bother to tell them any differant.

With all the CSX 4000 people putting " It's Real " on thier car. We now have a guy in Dallas that has to put "it's Real and Made in 1966 at Shelby American" on his CSX 3000 when he shows it.

19. GT350N4

GT350N4 Active Member

The "self proclaimed experts" that like to point out flaws are usually the ones who drove to the cruise/show in a beat 1989 Dodge Caravan and don't even own a classic. The way to treat those kind of guys is to:

a.) Tell them to bend over and point to the flaw that they are talking about so you can kick them dead in the rear.

b.) Ask them were their classic is parked so you can be sure to get a look at it to see what a perfect car looks like.

Both will usually work!

20. dancin

dancin Active Member

Bill,

Speaking of the Moxee show, its scheduled for Sat. May 20th - any plans on taking your car this year? If weather is good, we will likely attend with ours.

Dan