Join Shelby Forums Today

That's Not a Real One, Is It?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by BillH, Mar 9, 2006.

1. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

I was at a resort that a group of Cobra owners were having a run. One of the guys is a close friend with a 289 Cobra. We were talking by the car when a guy walked up and started asking questions about the car. My friend told him it was a kit. This killed the guy's interest and he walked away. When he was out of ear-shot, I asked my friend why he had told him that. He said based on past experiences, the guy would have taken up a lot of our time asking questions, then he would have proceeded to pick the car apart. His position was anyone who could look at an obvious aluminum small block Cobra with the hood up, and not be able to tell it was an original car was not worth the time. "It's happened a hundred times before. I know how the conversation will go and sometimes, I get tired of it.

2. TJinSA

TJinSA Well-Known Member

I have had the OWNER of a Mustang restoration and supply come up and say, "So you got yourself one of those CLONES, do ya?"... (he said without looking under the hood...)

3. CSX375

CSX375 Well-Known Member

I never showed mine, but I got plenty of questions. I never answered the people that asked me if it was a Mustang, but my favorite were the (yeah, ok, its dumb, dangerous, and illegal, i know) guys in the Eclipses or hopped up Jettas after a stoplight.
    Them:"What they hell is that?"
    Me:"Shelby"
    T"What?"
    M:"A Shelby"
    T:"No it isn't"
    M:"Yes, yes it is"

Once I convinced them that it was, they asked me how I won. Citing thieri Spoilers, Coffee can mufflers, and ridiculous flames, all I said as "I'm all go instead of all show" Apparently they had difficulty accepting the fact that they lost to an American car with terrible paint, a hole in the exhaust, and no sound system.

jim