Join Shelby Forums Today

toploader problem

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Olaf Herrick, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Olaf Herrick

Olaf Herrick Guest

Pie Charts
    Although it's not Shelby specific I would appreciate one of you more experienced early mustang (65-66) guys to help me out. I put a manual trans in my 65 289 auto Mustang conv.The car has a 66 289 motor , Bell housing C5DA-6394-A , trans Rug BW , 157 tooth flywheel and a 10 inch clutch. I put a pilot bearing (brass) in back of the crank shaft(had none before). The crank shaft is only cut back about 1/2 inch (max). The pilot bearing I installed was about 3/4 inch. I had to force the trans in the last 1/4 or so but with the bolts it went in ( dumb me!!!). Unfortunately the trans wouldn't shift into gear when the motor was running ( worked fine with out the motor running). If I forced it a little into gear the motor would start to loose RPM. I figured the pilot was to blame. Today I pulled everything back out and removed the pilot. I bought another pilot from an autoparts store, it was smaller in width but the input hole was also too small.

Question 1; are all crank shafts cut to accept manual or auto transmissions? I WOULD ASSUME SO.

2; is there a different pilot bearing used in early 65 or 66 cars ?

Any other thoughts? I have found this change over to be a bit of a challenge from the beginning . I guess it doesn't help to have a bunch of used and aftermarket parts either. thanks for any input. Olaf

2. STAN SIMM

STAN SIMM Guest

Pie ChartsOlaf-
    Yes, all 289 cranks are cut to accept pilot bearings. I have, in my hands, as we speak, an original FoMoCo pilot bearing out of a '65 HiPo Mustang. The bronze bearing is .500" thick and the hole is .670" in dia.
    Once you find the correct pilot bearing and try it on the nose of your tranny, soak in oil overnight, then drive it in. All should be well.
    Oh, yes...an old trick to easily extract pilot bearings: Find a dowel rod as close in dia. to the hole in the pilot bearing. Pack the pilot bearing with as much grease as it will hold, then drive the end of the dowel into the hole w/ a hammer or mallet. The pilot bearing will come right out.
    Regards, Stan
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: shelby list
    Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2005 9:09 AM
    Subject: toploader problem

Although it's not Shelby specific I would appreciate one of you more experienced early mustang (65-66) guys to help me out. I put a manual trans in my 65 289 auto Mustang conv.The car has a 66 289 motor , Bell housing C5DA-6394-A , trans Rug BW , 157 tooth flywheel and a 10 inch clutch. I put a pilot bearing (brass) in back of the crank shaft(had none before). The crank shaft is only cut back about 1/2 inch (max). The pilot bearing I installed was about 3/4 inch. I had to force the trans in the last 1/4 or so but with the bolts it went in ( dumb me!!!). Unfortunately the trans wouldn't shift into gear when the motor was running ( worked fine with out the motor running). If I forced it a little into gear the motor would start to loose RPM. I figured the pilot was to blame. Today I pulled everything back out and removed the pilot. I bought another pilot from an autoparts store, it was smaller in width but the input hole was also too small.

Question 1; are all crank shafts cut to accept manual or auto transmissions? I WOULD ASSUME SO.

Any other thoughts? I have found this change over to be a bit of a challenge from the beginning . I guess it doesn't help to have a bunch of used and aftermarket parts either. thanks for any input. Olaf

3. robert wolfe

robert wolfe Guest

Pie Chartsthey also sell a removal tool for 12.00 that works with your grease gun
    To: Olaf Herrick ; shelby list
    Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2005 7:33 AM
    Subject: Re: toploader problem

Olaf-
    Yes, all 289 cranks are cut to accept pilot bearings. I have, in my hands, as we speak, an original FoMoCo pilot bearing out of a '65 HiPo Mustang. The bronze bearing is .500" thick and the hole is .670" in dia.
    Once you find the correct pilot bearing and try it on the nose of your tranny, soak in oil overnight, then drive it in. All should be well.
    Oh, yes...an old trick to easily extract pilot bearings: Find a dowel rod as close in dia. to the hole in the pilot bearing. Pack the pilot bearing with as much grease as it will hold, then drive the end of the dowel into the hole w/ a hammer or mallet. The pilot bearing will come right out.
    Regards, Stan
    To: shelby list
    Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2005 9:09 AM
    Subject: toploader problem