Join Shelby Forums Today

Transmission Fluid / Capacity for C-6 CJ automatic

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by Tony, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Tony

Tony Guest

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to slip the freshly rebuilt c-6 cj Transmission back in
    the KR and wanted to make sure that I should be using type F fluid I
    assume?? Any other ecomendations?

Any idea on how many qts to put in the convertor and how many qts in the
    fill tube after install? Stock size pan on it.

Thanks in advance

Tony Hardesty

2. I went with mobile one synthetic for the FMX in my 1969.
    I don't know if that makes enough of a difference for the cost, but I
    figured it would be better than the standard transmission fluid.
    Anyone else have any thoughts?

Lee
    66 # 869
    69 # 2055

3. When we rebuilt our FMX, I used the old Ford recommended transmission fluid as recommended in the owners manual, the shop manual, and the recommendation of the Transmission shop. But then again, I am not a real fan of synthetics.
    Ron

----- Original Message -----
    To: krman (AT) fuse (DOT) net ; shelbymustang (AT) carmemories (DOT) com
    Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 2:34 PM
    Subject: Re: Transmission Fluid / Capacity for C-6 CJ automatic

I went with mobile one synthetic for the FMX in my 1969.
    I don't know if that makes enough of a difference for the cost, but I figured it would be better than the standard transmission fluid.
    Anyone else have any thoughts?

Lee
    66 # 869
    69 # 2055

4. If you rebuilt your C-6 to stock specifications and used all Ford clutches/bands/seals, the best fluid to use is Ford type F. Total capacity including the converter if you are starting out dry will be around 12 qts.
    Here is the preferred method to fill any vintage Ford auto trans:
    Put 3 qts in the converter, any more and it might spill out. Put 4 qts down the fill tube before starting the engine. Start the engine, then put 3 more qts in. Move the gear selector through each position slowly waiting for engagement, the slowly back through each position back to park. Check the fluid level at least twice, and add fluid to the cold or add-mark as needed, but do not fill any higher at this point (1/2 qt or a pint will raise the level from add or cold to full or hot mark on most trans). Take the car on a 15 to 20 minute test drive then check the fluid level again and adjust to the full or hot mark. Keep in mind that trans fluid will expand quite a bit when hot (as in after driving the car, not idling to normal engine operating temp), and it will cause just as much damage to a trans to have an overfilled transmission as an undefilled. As long as the level stays between the marks it is considered full and at the proper level.
    Bernie Smith
    69 GT500 #0018
    Senior Master Ford gas & diesel technician

To: shelbymustang (AT) carmemories (DOT) com
    Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 1:32 PM
    Subject: Transmission Fluid / Capacity for C-6 CJ automatic

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to slip the freshly rebuilt c-6 cj Transmission back in the KR and wanted to make sure that I should be using type F fluid I assume?? Any other ecomendations?

Any idea on how many qts to put in the convertor and how many qts in the fill tube after install? Stock size pan on it.

Thanks in advance

Tony Hardesty

5. STAN SIMM

STAN SIMM Guest

All-
    Before we drop this thread, let me add something that I found out the hard way. It has to do with pan gaskets. Nothing more aggrevating than to fill up an automatic tranny w/fluid, only to discover that the pan gasket seeps...especially on a concours car. Re-torqueing the bolts may help up to a point. Over-torqueing just makes it worse. The secret is finding the best gasket possible. I had a tranmission shop owner tell me that the best are the combination cork/rubber (looks like pieces of ground-up rubber embedded in the cork....and, much to my amazement, he was right.
    Every shop manual I read cautioned against using any kind of sealer, silicone, RTV on the gasket for fear that some might get into the passageways of the valve assy.
    Anyone got any other solutions?
    Regards, Stan
    To: Tony ; shelbymustang (AT) carmemories (DOT) com
    Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 8:17 PM

If you rebuilt your C-6 to stock specifications and used all Ford clutches/bands/seals, the best fluid to use is Ford type F. Total capacity including the converter if you are starting out dry will be around 12 qts.
    Put 3 qts in the converter, any more and it might spill out. Put 4 qts down the fill tube before starting the engine. Start the engine, then put 3 more qts in. Move the gear selector through each position slowly waiting for engagement, the slowly back through each position back to park. Check the fluid level at least twice, and add fluid to the cold or add-mark as needed, but do not fill any higher at this point (1/2 qt or a pint will raise the level from add or cold to full or hot mark on most trans). Take the car on a 15 to 20 minute test drive then check the fluid level again and adjust to the full or hot mark. Keep in mind that trans fluid will expand quite a bit when hot (as in after driving the car, not idling to normal engine operating temp), and it will cause just as much damage to a trans to have an overfilled transmission as an undefilled. As long as the level stays between the marks it is considered full and at the proper level.
    Bernie Smith
    69 GT500 #0018

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to slip the freshly rebuilt c-6 cj Transmission back in the KR and wanted to make sure that I should be using type F fluid I assume?? Any other ecomendations?

Any idea on how many qts to put in the convertor and how many qts in the fill tube after install? Stock size pan on it.

Thanks in advance

Tony Hardesty

6. Agreed. Modern Fords use an elastomeric gasket. It is a type of rubber formed over a stiff metal frame and is reusable. If you can find one of these to fit your C-6 it will be the best. The next best would be what Stan mentioned. During assembly, many people don't bother to follow any torque procedure for the pan. If the original gasket is used in this case, a leak is pretty much gauranteed. The pan bolts don't need to be that tight, about 7 to 9 ft/lbs, any more and the cork gasket will be damaged. Another assembly tip - lubricate the torque convertor hub with fresh fluid before install. As Stan stated, use of any silicone anywhere at anytime on your auto trans is a recipe for futher problems. Aside from plugging very tiny oil passages, the silicone will cause swollen seals and premature clutch failure.
    Bernie Smith

To: bigb427 {Bernard Smith} ; Tony ; shelbymustang (AT) carmemories (DOT) com
    Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 5:52 PM

All-
    Before we drop this thread, let me add something that I found out the hard way. It has to do with pan gaskets. Nothing more aggrevating than to fill up an automatic tranny w/fluid, only to discover that the pan gasket seeps...especially on a concours car. Re-torqueing the bolts may help up to a point. Over-torqueing just makes it worse. The secret is finding the best gasket possible. I had a tranmission shop owner tell me that the best are the combination cork/rubber (looks like pieces of ground-up rubber embedded in the cork....and, much to my amazement, he was right.
    Every shop manual I read cautioned against using any kind of sealer, silicone, RTV on the gasket for fear that some might get into the passageways of the valve assy.
    Anyone got any other solutions?
    Regards, Stan
    To: Tony ; shelbymustang (AT) carmemories (DOT) com
    Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 8:17 PM

If you rebuilt your C-6 to stock specifications and used all Ford clutches/bands/seals, the best fluid to use is Ford type F. Total capacity including the converter if you are starting out dry will be around 12 qts.
    Bernie Smith
    69 GT500 #0018

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance

Tony Hardesty