Join Shelby Forums Today

What SAAC conventions have you attended?

Discussion in 'Open Community Forum' started by roddster, Dec 30, 2004.

1. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Iv'e been to SAAC: 11, 15, 19, 24, 29.
    Dearborn twice, Indianapolis, elkhart Lake, Michigan Int'l Speedway.
    Maybe it was the weather, the last one in Michigan wasn't too well attended. But it was still a great time.

2. The Commissioner

The Commissioner Well-Known Member

21,22,23,24,25,26,28. I will not travel to the California SAACs, too far from the East Coast for a couple of run sessions, and it's no fun to attend without your own car.

That's 2 Lime Rocks, 2 Charlottes, Road America, Nashville, and Michigan.

Sadly, the track time for street car owners is being diminished to accomodate the vintage race class. :thumbdown

3. Bish

Bish Active Member

I've attended the last two in Michigan, The "Roddster" is right, the weather was poor last year here in Mich, Sunday was a rain out, at least I did not attempt to make it on that day.

4. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

It's a social event... you can opentrack anytime. B)

The West Coast venues do bring out the originals, though.

Witness the line-up of originals at SAAC-27..

[​IMG]

...versus the little courtyard of Originals in Nashville SAAC-28..

[​IMG]

We'll be at SAAC-30 in Fontana this July

5. Magstar

Magstar Well-Known Member

Only been to Portland a few years back .Do you think it will ever come back to the N.W.?

6. computerworks

..tough call...
    I know Kopec has complained about finding consistent track availability with sufficient hotels.

7. Roger Davis

Roger Davis New Member

I have to agree with Ron that SAAC conventions are more of a social event than an Open track event. (probably one of the best social event all year) but if you want track time it is available almost weekly thruout the summer on the East coast. LRP, WGI, VIR, Summit Point, Road Atlanta,Pocono, and others run events thruout the season. If it's track time you want, no need to travel to the West coast.
    RD

8. OVERRIDE

OVERRIDE Well-Known Member

My first saac convention was downington pa and i have only missed 4 since then.

9. The Commissioner

1. Yes, they are social events, but since I've been attending from 1996, most people I've met, only take their car on the open track during this event. Vintage racers can race whenever, wherever, and most do. My crowd is losing interest in SAAC due to the declining track time. We enjoy the social aspect, and usually this is the only time during the year we see each other, (most plan their summer vacation around SAAC and don't have free time for other open track events) but with mainly street cars, we would rather have more track time, and reduce the competition time. There is nothing worse than sitting there all day Friday in the sun doing nothing, watching comp cars, and then have it pour down rain on Sunday, ie Nashville, Michigan x2, and Charlotte out of past memory.

2. Road Atlanta can host 2 ALMS events, and numerous motorcycle events, so I know there are plenty of hotels available within a 25 mile radius. A friend in the local BMW club tells me their club has about 4 or 5 open track weekends at least during the year at Road Atl. Don't quote me, but I think it's like $10k/day for track rental. Excluding the members who run every session and the competition folks, 60 cars times 4 classes x $100 more than pays for the track time each day. But, I'm not sure SAAC wants to entertain having it over a weekend other than July 4th or May 31.

I think most people with road cars appreciate the track time, because they're running with fellow Shelby owners, whether original cars or replicas, and there is a comfort factor of limited passing, and the fact that there is a ton of $$ on the track and for the most part people respect one another.

I think the best track I've been on with SAAC is Road America, plenty of track to acommodate high numbers of cars. I also like Lime Rock, but at SAAC 25, there were too many cars on the track. It's not fun slamming on the brakes every lap due to a traffic jam, I can do that on the interstate around Atlanta!

10. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

It might help is SAAC treated everyone like equals. IE: why is it that only the Cobra owners get the great photos, group photos etc. in the Shelby American? Lets see the 66 Hertz owners, the 67 owners, the 69/70 owners in a group photo too. (Yeah. the last Lime Rck, or was it Pocono, had an "all" group photo) It might help attendance that way.
    And, the best part of the SAAC conventions has been the track event. I don't think that will ever go away go a long while.

11. Roger Davis

Roger Davis New Member

Commish,
    Lots of Open track events cater to the guys with valuable collector cars. You just have to weed out the clubs that let anybody run "what they brung".

If you can hook up with the Porsche or dare I say Ferrari clubs, you can be assured of some quality track time without the worry of having to dodge the "Yahoos"

I have stopped attending the SAAC Open Track sessions because I think of it as mostly parade laps .

Check out some of the clubs running VIR, great track.

RD

12. computerworks

...cause, who wants to see a picture of a bunch of Mustangs that all look alike? :cool:

Relax...just kidding. But you have to admit... :) I always chuckled at the '65 GT350 owner's pics in the Registry.... 500+ cars... all white with blue stripes. Could have used one negative. :whistle:

Now..seriously (/kidding) ...at the next event, organize your own group photo...they'll print it.

13. The Commissioner

Speaking for myself, I have an old car, a 1967 GT350, I only want to do one open track event per year with it, that is SAAC. If I had a purpose built car, unlimited funds and time off, yes I'd do all sorts of open track events. Until then, I'd like to see more track time at SAAC.

14. Balistk

Balistk Member

I live 9 miles east of Covington Louisiana near Ab
    I have attended SAAC 12,14,15,16,19,20,21,22.23,25,27,28,29. I entered the vintage races at 25,27,28,and29,yes I passed Kopec on the second lap at Lime Rock.

15. Chepsk8

Chepsk8 Active Member

Watkins Glen
    Indianapolis
    Michigan Twice
    Last two Charlottes
    Nashville
    Fontana
    all Lime Rocks
    Atlanta
    Last Pocono

(I gotta look in my shirt Drawer!)

Look for me in Race Car Tech & Running the Popular Ballot Car shows!

Hey, I just found myself in the 50 cobras shot from last Fontana! I was the guy helping (yelling?)with the official pics, and Autoweek used mine. Also, The 289 Panoramic from Nashville was one of mine also, though I have to thank Jack O'Donnell for helping stitch that one together!

16. dominik

dominik Member

Atlanta, 1995?
    we came all the way from Germany and I was diappointed by the little amout of original cars.

but "Cobra Rides" made my day.

I think his name was Jack.
    him with a black 427 and his buddy with a red 427 featuring odd rear brake louvers took people around - for free!

what a ride! :thumbup:

cheers,

dominik - now south africa

17. Ranger Jerry

Ranger Jerry Well-Known Member

I've gone to 1 SAAC convention #27 Fontana. Being a Park Ranger in Colorado means you work on the 4th of July and just about every other holiday there is. Out of 23 years, that was the first 7-4 I've gotten off. California was a great location. I tried to get the KR onto the track but as soon as I got throught the tunnel... you probably guest the KR over heated. A friend of mine did get a picture of me in my driving suit and my car next to the starting pole. It at least looks like I raced Cali Speedway. Maybe SAAC could have a convention in Colorado!! Central location, Pikes Peak International Raceway, the Rocky Mountians and lot of Parks.

Ranger Jerry

18. R. La Barre

R. La Barre Well-Known Member

SAAC 21 @ LRP was my one & only convention which hooked me on 'someday' having a Shelby, real or repro. My wife & I met a lot of great people at the event & at the campground; and I had a blast on the track. As soon as dates are announced, I'll have reservations in place for VIR in '06, even if it's before getting my first real Shelby. It'll be great seeing those people again; if I can recognize them. RD, can't thank you enough for putting me in touch w/ the original owner of my modified '85; which is now rebuilt & an orange/red in FL. Rusty

19. 289Cobra

289Cobra Active Member

SAAC 10
    SAAC 13
    SAAC Does Vegas '99 and '00
    Haven't been to a national in a long time. Maybe in '06 at VIR...

20. TransamEd

TransamEd Well-Known Member

I was at SAAC 28 and they did treat Mustang owners equal and took a big pic of the 67 GT350 owners.
    [​IMG]
    This is not the official pic (which I have on the wall) but a "panoramic" :cool: from my own pics.