Join Shelby Forums Today

What to do first??

Discussion in 'Shelby Mustang List' started by jyesville, Aug 21, 2005.

1. jyesville

jyesville Guest

Hey guys,

It's me, Jody, with the 1967 GT-350 that my father bought and I have
    inherited. Well as I have stated a few months ago, It has been sitting
    since 1985ish in my mothers garage, never to be looked at much over the past
    20 years. I am going home for a week or so, in a month, as my wife's US
    immigration is to be finalized on Sept. 19. Then a trip to VACATION at home
    with the parents.

I just had to rush home, about a week ago, as my mother had double-by-pass
    surgery. She is doing very well now. She's home walking around. Felling
    better everyday.

I looked the car over to see what was rusted, and I couldn't see much. The
    exhaust pipes are and something else under the engine (I don't know my
    engine parts very well yet), but everything else looks good. I noticed that
    someone in the past few years took the battery out. If I recall correctly,
    I saw a discussion on battery's a few months ago. I think I remember one of
    the threads said something that you can't just drop in any new battery. Is
    this correct? And... if the old battery still exists, can it be
    resurrected?

I want to pump the almost totally flat, original tires up, but am not sure
    if that is a smart thing to do. They don't look like they have dry rot. I
    want to put a battery in to see if all the electrics work. And I want to
    clean the inside and out. I do not want to get into the engine, as I have
    no clue what I'm doing. I wouldn't mind draining all the fluids and
    flushing out some systems.

I've worked on my '87 Dakota a bit, changed the front brakes, tune up and
    such. I think I can do this with my stepfather, I just don't want to ruin
    anything.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
    Jody Yesville
    '67 GT350 2632

ps. If you don't mind, I'll probably take some dig pics of my car and post them to see what you guys think.

2. ken mann

ken mann Guest

No virus found in this outgoing message.
    Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
    Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.13/78 - Release Date: 8/19/2005

3. Camilla

Camilla Guest

I agree Ken

Mine sat for 15 years but with occasional startups brand new 1987 tyres got to go as they hard as nuts. $10,000 from axles to carb was just spent and stll a few things to finalize. When the parts arrive they will be. You wouldn't think not running a car for that length of time would matter but it sure does.

Just take special care and enjoy your car!!

Randall Paul
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: jyesville ; shelbymustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 12:01 PM
    Subject: Re: What to do first??

I am not the world's leading authority, but if you have a car that has sat for 20 years, without being started regularly, then you have quite a job ahead of you, if you want the car to be a dependable driver. There are many things that can go wrong if you do not prepare the engine for it's initial start-up. First; the engine bearings have lost all signs of any oil film that is normally present on a car that is used once in a while. If you simply install a new battery, and crank the engine over, the compression will put force on the bearings, and with no oil film, you will surely spin a bearing, before the engine can develop oil pressure. You should remove all of the spark plugs, and the distributor, then using an oil pump priming tool, run the oil pump for a while, occasionally turning the engine over by hand. This will get the oil flowing throughout the engine, without putting stress on any parts. Then, there is the camshaft. Even though the engine is not freshly rebuilt, the cam lobes need plenty of oil, which they get from oil that splashes around inside the engine. If it were my car, I would treat it like a fresh rebuild, and run the engine at 2000 r.p.m. for about 30 minutes. This will ensure proper oiling, and help the piston rings to re-seat. Make sure that you have first thoroughly cleaned the fuel system out, and have put fresh fuel in, (a carb. overhaul will probably be in order, also) as old fuel can turn to molasses after it is heated, and will stick a valve, causing damage.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Ken Mann
    To: shelbymustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 4:08 PM
    Subject: What to do first??

Hey guys,

It's me, Jody, with the 1967 GT-350 that my father bought and I have inherited. Well as I have stated a few months ago, It has been sitting since 1985ish in my mothers garage, never to be looked at much over the past 20 years. I am going home for a week or so, in a month, as my wife's US immigration is to be finalized on Sept. 19. Then a trip to VACATION at home with the parents.

I just had to rush home, about a week ago, as my mother had double-by-pass surgery. She is doing very well now. She's home walking around. Felling better everyday.

I looked the car over to see what was rusted, and I couldn't see much. The exhaust pipes are and something else under the engine (I don't know my engine parts very well yet), but everything else looks good. I noticed that someone in the past few years took the battery out. If I recall correctly, I saw a discussion on battery's a few months ago. I think I remember one of the threads said something that you can't just drop in any new battery. Is this correct? And... if the old battery still exists, can it be resurrected?

I want to pump the almost totally flat, original tires up, but am not sure if that is a smart thing to do. They don't look like they have dry rot. I want to put a battery in to see if all the electrics work. And I want to clean the inside and out. I do not want to get into the engine, as I have no clue what I'm doing. I wouldn't mind draining all the fluids and flushing out some systems.

I've worked on my '87 Dakota a bit, changed the front brakes, tune up and such. I think I can do this with my stepfather, I just don't want to ruin anything.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
    Jody Yesville
    '67 GT350 2632

ps. If you don't mind, I'll probably take some dig pics of my car and post them to see what you guys think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. STAN SIMM

STAN SIMM Guest

Ken-I would also add the reminder to anyone who removes the distributor to prime the oil pump that they should remove the distributor while at #1 TDC and, if they turn the engine over while the distributor is out, they must again return the engine to #1 TDC to re-insert the distributor.
    Regards, Stan
    To: ken mann ; jyesville ; shelbymustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 9:58 PM

I agree Ken

Mine sat for 15 years but with occasional startups brand new 1987 tyres got to go as they hard as nuts. $10,000 from axles to carb was just spent and stll a few things to finalize. When the parts arrive they will be. You wouldn't think not running a car for that length of time would matter but it sure does.

Just take special care and enjoy your car!!

Randall Paul
    To: jyesville ; shelbymustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 12:01 PM

I am not the world's leading authority, but if you have a car that has sat for 20 years, without being started regularly, then you have quite a job ahead of you, if you want the car to be a dependable driver. There are many things that can go wrong if you do not prepare the engine for it's initial start-up. First; the engine bearings have lost all signs of any oil film that is normally present on a car that is used once in a while. If you simply install a new battery, and crank the engine over, the compression will put force on the bearings, and with no oil film, you will surely spin a bearing, before the engine can develop oil pressure. You should remove all of the spark plugs, and the distributor, then using an oil pump priming tool, run the oil pump for a while, occasionally turning the engine over by hand. This will get the oil flowing throughout the engine, without putting stress on any parts. Then, there is the camshaft. Even though the engine is not freshly rebuilt, the cam lobes need plenty of oil, which they get from oil that splashes around inside the engine. If it were my car, I would treat it like a fresh rebuild, and run the engine at 2000 r.p.m. for about 30 minutes. This will ensure proper oiling, and help the piston rings to re-seat. Make sure that you have first thoroughly cleaned the fuel system out, and have put fresh fuel in, (a carb. overhaul will probably be in order, also) as old fuel can turn to molasses after it is heated, and will stick a valve, causing damage.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Ken Mann
    To: shelbymustang@carmemories.com
    Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 4:08 PM
    Subject: What to do first??

Hey guys,

It's me, Jody, with the 1967 GT-350 that my father bought and I have inherited. Well as I have stated a few months ago, It has been sitting since 1985ish in my mothers garage, never to be looked at much over the past 20 years. I am going home for a week or so, in a month, as my wife's US immigration is to be finalized on Sept. 19. Then a trip to VACATION at home with the parents.

I just had to rush home, about a week ago, as my mother had double-by-pass surgery. She is doing very well now. She's home walking around. Felling better everyday.

I looked the car over to see what was rusted, and I couldn't see much. The exhaust pipes are and something else under the engine (I don't know my engine parts very well yet), but everything else looks good. I noticed that someone in the past few years took the battery out. If I recall correctly, I saw a discussion on battery's a few months ago. I think I remember one of the threads said something that you can't just drop in any new battery. Is this correct? And... if the old battery still exists, can it be resurrected?

I want to pump the almost totally flat, original tires up, but am not sure if that is a smart thing to do. They don't look like they have dry rot. I want to put a battery in to see if all the electrics work. And I want to clean the inside and out. I do not want to get into the engine, as I have no clue what I'm doing. I wouldn't mind draining all the fluids and flushing out some systems.

I've worked on my '87 Dakota a bit, changed the front brakes, tune up and such. I think I can do this with my stepfather, I just don't want to ruin anything.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
    Jody Yesville
    '67 GT350 2632

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------