Join Shelby Forums Today

Wheels And Exhausts

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by JustinMF, May 18, 2006.

1. JustinMF

JustinMF Member

For everyone with real Shelbys, do you have the factory wheels and exhausts on your car or is it popular to put different ones on? I know obviously keeping it original is better but is it such a big deal to put Flowmasters on and Torq Thrust D's or is that frowned upon, also is the factory exhaust loud compared to say Flowmasters?

2. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Mine had a Flowmaster dual 2 1/4" when I bought it. Now it has the original style 2" system. The Flowmaster system was louder when you got on it but both sounded about the same @ idle. The PO spent $800 on the Flowmaster system (stainless) 2 weeks before I got it. Unfortunately he had it all welded so I had to sawzall it off.:wacko:

3. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

I have the flowmasters on mine. I think they sound so much better than the original exhausts. I also like the look of the original wheels so they stay on.

4. Seaweed

Seaweed Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, mine has the original muffler,so for me I can't change it. It would be nice if the sound was a little louder, something like a late model mustang. So I live with it, you can't have everything in life that you want.---S.

5. 6S263

6S263 Active Member

I currently have original wheels on my '66 because I like them. (CS Cragars) I do keep my eyes open at swap meets for cheap Torq Thrusts though. On the exhaust, I put a '65 type side exit 2 1/4" system on. My reasoning, it sounds great and I like them.

6. Lugnut

Lugnut Well-Known Member

My 68 has a "MCA" approved exhaust and I don't care for the sound at all. I just had the exhaust for the 67 built at a local muffler shop and it sounds great. It utilizes 2.25" tubing and Magnaflow mufflers. My take on this is that it's all bolt on stuff...if you're building a show car, go with the MCA stuff. If you want to drive it and have it sound good, have one built. I wanted to use this:

http://www.drgas.com/store/product.php?productid=15&cat=1&page=1

but they didn't have it for a 4 speed car at the time I was looking. They did say they were working on a version to fit the standard trans cars.

7. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

None of my cars have the factory exhaust. First thing that goes off the car. All have headers and glass packs. When someone asks what "system" do I have they better not be talking about the stereo. Volume is pedal on the right. Rims, all factory but if I didn't like them they would be off. Anyone interested I have from the manifolds (H pipe, resinators, tranfers muffler, over axle pipe) to valence from my KR. No it isn't the original from the factory pipes, just looks like it.

8. JustinMF

JustinMF Member

This surprises me actually, I thought everyone is well strict about making their Shelbys as original as possible, this is good though as if I ever got one I would probably want Flowmasters, I know some of these concours people take it a little far where they are frightened to even get the tyres dirty

9. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

most Shelby's will never see a Concours competition, and are treated to sensible upgrades & modifications to enhance their drivability, but that are easy to reverse if desired. For example I've got a MSD ignition system, but still have the original distributor boxed up should I want the engine bay to have a period look.

I'd really like to have AC, but am not as bold as the owner of 6s1339 who added AC (recently on ebay auction #: 4638745270. but didn't meet reserve @ $113,202.00 )

I've been under the impression that adding things like AC would hurt the value, but maybe I'm wrong...

Z. Ray
    6s1117

10. The Commissioner

The Commissioner Well-Known Member

I kept the exhaust and 10 spokes on the 67 GT350 for several years, but decided to get an extra set of Torque Thurst D's for the SAAC open track events. I haven't taken them off since, as they just look "right" on the car. I also had the stock exhaust and decided I wanted some more "noise", so I switched to Flowmasters, which added noise and also free'd up the exhaust system for maybe a few hp gained. I saved all the original stuff which is in the basement for safekeeping. I don't think anything will hurt these cars anymore, whether it's adding a/c, etc. As long as anything that is removed is saved in a box, whatever is added is done tastefully and correctly, and the car isn't hacked up, like making a fastback into a convertible!